At a very basic level, I agree with having some way to carry water. Hydration was always preached in the Army and you never know how long a mission will take. Now that I'm retired, I see it a bit different as a civilian. I still train when I can. I still try to stay hydrated to the point that it has become a firmly ingrained habit that I walk around with a water bottle of some kind. (or Gatorade as it is right this moment) I have water in the garage. I have water in each vehicle... bla, bla.

However, I do not keep my Camelbak on my vest. I have it still, and can sling it on my back if needed, but as a civilian, my priority is the safety of my family. I don't look upon my vest now as a I did "full battle rattle" back then. I can see me having to respond to an active shooter, or maybe even a coordinated terrorist attack, but any firefight I get into will most likely be just that, a firefight. Bad guys shoot at me, I shoot back. It may last 30 seconds, 20 minutes, or 3 hrs, but unless the country descends into a full on civil war, or we suffer an invasion, I will most likely never again get into a battle where I must stand my ground, (unless I'm home) or I must take an objective.

I have my Camelbak ready and waiting, but I keep it separate from the vest itself. I have water all around me at most times, and this way I can use the Camelbak even when there is no violent threat... without looking like I'm ready for war. I have several canteens, but only the one Camlebak. I also sometimes use the Camelbak when I'm away from a water supply like off roading in the Jeep just because it's easy, but it's not the same.. (even though the Jeep carries water)

I will eventually either get a second bladder for the vest, or more canteens so I can dedicate the Camelbak to the vest, but I actually prefer canteens much more. Grabbing the bladder hose is easier, (while moving or under fire) but it just never feels the same as taking a break for a moment and unscrewing a canteen lid...

Anybody with me here?