Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any old school guys here who prefer a canteen to a Camlebak?

Feedback Score

Any old school guys here who prefer a canteen to a Camlebak?

At a very basic level, I agree with having some way to carry water. Hydration was always preached in the Army and you never know how long a mission will take. Now that I'm retired, I see it a bit different as a civilian. I still train when I can. I still try to stay hydrated to the point that it has become a firmly ingrained habit that I walk around with a water bottle of some kind. (or Gatorade as it is right this moment) I have water in the garage. I have water in each vehicle... bla, bla.

However, I do not keep my Camelbak on my vest. I have it still, and can sling it on my back if needed, but as a civilian, my priority is the safety of my family. I don't look upon my vest now as a I did "full battle rattle" back then. I can see me having to respond to an active shooter, or maybe even a coordinated terrorist attack, but any firefight I get into will most likely be just that, a firefight. Bad guys shoot at me, I shoot back. It may last 30 seconds, 20 minutes, or 3 hrs, but unless the country descends into a full on civil war, or we suffer an invasion, I will most likely never again get into a battle where I must stand my ground, (unless I'm home) or I must take an objective.

I have my Camelbak ready and waiting, but I keep it separate from the vest itself. I have water all around me at most times, and this way I can use the Camelbak even when there is no violent threat... without looking like I'm ready for war. I have several canteens, but only the one Camlebak. I also sometimes use the Camelbak when I'm away from a water supply like off roading in the Jeep just because it's easy, but it's not the same.. (even though the Jeep carries water)

I will eventually either get a second bladder for the vest, or more canteens so I can dedicate the Camelbak to the vest, but I actually prefer canteens much more. Grabbing the bladder hose is easier, (while moving or under fire) but it just never feels the same as taking a break for a moment and unscrewing a canteen lid...

Anybody with me here?
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I keep two of the nalgene 1 qt canteens on the waistpad of my hiking rig, still rock the 2-qt with the strap if its just a day hike.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Got tired of carrying water bottles on the sides of my pack. Plus I don't have full motion in my left arm and can't get the left side bottle out with my left arm, which leaves me with only 1 liter unless I stop.

Went to an integrated hydration pack and love it. And I can keep the mouthpiece in my mouth if both hands are full.

Love it and would never go back; although, if I need to pack more the 3 liters I will also carry bottles to refill the bladder with.
    Last edited by austinN4; 02-27-17 at 11:57.

Feedback Score
    Water bottles and lifestraw for most hikes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I pretty much use both to compliment each other. On day hikes I use the older Camelbak Mule, but I've switched over to using Source bladders. No more funky plastic taste! I keep a Nalgene Oasis Canteen as a backup and as part of a compact cook kit with USGI canteen cup and canteen stove. My EDC pack also sports a Source bladder and an Oasis or two.

http://www.nalgene.com/bottles/oasis/

They even come in Foliage and Coyote Brown for those of us that have to color coordinate!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oop_bw_c_x_1_w

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also use Nalgene bottles, but may try a Camelback soon.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    .........., but I've switched over to using Source bladders. No more funky plastic taste!
    Had not heard of those. Thanks! Gonna give one a try to replace one of my Osprey Hydraulics bladders.

Feedback Score
    Great question and something that I've thought about recently. Some people prefer canteens because they just work, don't have to worry about leaks like you would with bladders. I like the weight distribution of the bladder

Some backpackers prefer water bottles on long through hikes, they can't afford a leak

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I like bladders for their convenience but I still bring two 32oz Nalgene bottles on hikes in case the bladder breaks and for cooking. Bottles/Canteens just work better for some thing. I like the Nalgene bottles because they're graduated, this good for cooking with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    GUILTY! I have used Camelbaks and will continue to do so, but the good ol' handheld canteen can't be beat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast