Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any old school guys here who prefer a canteen to a Camlebak?

Feedback Score
    I keep a 3L source bladder in my pack, but all of my gear is also set up to accommodate a canteen of some sort. I like my Nalgene Oasis 32oz USGI pattern units, but my favorite is a stainless steel 42oz canteen with wide mouth and it's nested cup/stove from the Pathfinder school.

You can't boil water in a bladder.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 08-04-17 at 11:06.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Can't boil water in a bladder.
    You can, but it doesn't work well and it will be the last time you try it! LOL

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I use both. A combination of Source bladders and 1-quart water bottles. All of my Camelbak bladders have been replaced with Source units. No funky smell/taste, and the wide mouth makes them very easy to clean or add ice to.

I grew up in the desert, and learned at a earlier age it can be dangerous to have all of your water in one container. You do pay a slight weight penalty for that, however.

Multiple containers also makes it easier to share water with other people in your group, such as children, elders, injured, etc. if you have to go for help, you can leave some water with them while doing so.

I also like the ability to have one container that is only used for unsterilized water. Treat the water in it, then move to the other containers.

Feedback Score
    My big question: how in the blue blazes do you keep half-empty canteens from sloshing audibly and potentially giving away your position?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    My big question: how in the blue blazes do you keep half-empty canteens from sloshing audibly and potentially giving away your position?
    You don't. You pretty much have to drink a quart at a time. Kneel, look, listen, drink.

But my days of worrying about angry people hearing my canteens are long in my past. It's honestly something I don't think about these days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You don't. You pretty much have to drink a quart at a time. Kneel, look, listen, drink.

But my days of worrying about angry people hearing my canteens are long in my past. It's honestly something I don't think about these days.
    I was actually referring to potential game animals, but I s'pose you could still metaphorically call them that in your situation as well.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I was actually referring to potential game animals, but I s'pose you could still metaphorically call them that in your situation as well.
    Ah, very good point. I hunt from a blind, and make a point of getting there early and waiting a half hour for all of God's tasty critters to settle down before I blast them and cook them.

Two-legged critters can be much more wary, and that is what I thought you were referring to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Ah, very good point. I hunt from a blind, and make a point of getting there early and waiting a half hour for all of God's tasty critters to settle down before I blast them and cook them.

Two-legged critters can be much more wary, and that is what I thought you were referring to.
    Well, in my tactical situation, I'm only likely to have to fire on two-legged critters if they are blatantly asking for it by posing an open and direct threat of violence and at that point the water sloshing in the canteens will be the least of my worries.

Feedback Score
    I use nalgene bottles daily carry 2-3 at work one with tea the others just water. Where I work you don't want to drink the tap water for most part. It would be out of place to use a water bladder. My tactical situation leaves that out of place.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use both in warm weather, but water bottles exclusively when temps get below freezing. Got tired of having to keep the mouthpiece and hose from freezing. Same reason I carry a water filter in warm weather, plus chemical treatment as a back up, but switch to chemical only in cold weather.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast