Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any old school guys here who prefer a canteen to a Camlebak?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am a proponent of bladders but the good 'ol USGI canteens still hold a place in my heart. Love the pouches too and I would always keep fire starting equipment in them.

Feedback Score
    it's funny, I have quite a few canteens and water bladders, but when I'm not hiking I'm usually dehydrated
    Disclaimer: I make videos as a hobby and share them on YouTube.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    My big question: how in the blue blazes do you keep half-empty canteens from sloshing audibly and potentially giving away your position?
    you don't. you drink from the bladder and refill with canteens.

canteen can be a good old fashion GI-style aluminum, steel, or Ti canteen so you can boil water in it or the nalgene version called Oasis that still fits in canteen cups. or use just plain old water bottles.

I prefer Smartwater bottles because, 1) they're lighter than Nalgene 1L bottles and 2) a Sawyer water filter will screw right onto it. 32oz Gatorade bottles work good too and are more durable than Smartwater bottles but not as light...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    It is probably my selection of bladders over the years but I have suffered several failures with them, resulting in wet/frozen pack contents. So, I'm strictly on the canteen/bottle program, these days.
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    No, not all. Camelbaks are superior when hiking, long distance road cycling, kayaking, and mountain biking.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I finally picked up a Camelbak. I have used it a few times with success in warm weather, but prefer the old fashion canteen.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've used both bladders, canteen, nalgenes, collapsible nalgenes etc but I think that if I'm wearing a pack, it's hard to beat an internal bladder for convenience. But, there are times when I like an old-school canteen such as the one below.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Both. I like to have a 100oz bladder in my ruck, two if there's a K9. At least one nalgene as back up and to filter/refill as needed. In the winter, I dump the bladder and go to strictly nalgenes, upside-down with 1/2" tubular webbing in nalgene parkas.

For those concerned with sloshing, nalgene parkas are good at silencing that. They are also a great place to keep your canteen cup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123