Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 5.56 SPR: Will it still have a Purpose after the LR-308 is Built

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

My 5.56 SPR: Will it still have a Purpose after the LR-308 is Built

Hi guys,

As the title suggests I'm curious if you think my 5.56 SPR will still have a purpose once I finish building my LR-308. Right now my SPR is my intermediate to long range precision weapon, obviously within the capabilities of the caliber, the ammo I use, and most importantly, my capabilities behind the glass. (Or lack thereof.)

When I finished the 18" LR-308, will I still have a need for little brother?

As an aside, I'm not only concerned with the two is one, one is none adage. But is there a purpose or gap I'm missing that my 5.56 SPR can provide coverage for? Both 5.56 and LR-308 will be suppressed.

Thanks

RTT
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 02-28-17 at 23:52.

Feedback Score
    The 5.56 will weigh about half as much, so there's that... Depends what you're doing with them I guess.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No, no purpose, send it up this way and I'll be sure to put the ol' girl out to a proper pasture.

No, seriously, lighter weight is the first thing that popped into my head. Second would be cheaper practice ammo if you are working on long range, yes it might dope different than .308 but considering cost difference in ammo, even reloads it is a consideration, as would be it as a option for a lighter weight, lower recoil trainer if you were working with a younger pup, if you have children on precision shooting. Next, would be possible magazine and ammo interchangeability, if one wishes to look at the inevitable what if the shit hits the fan comments, with others.

Its a tool, it may have a mission that will overlap with the .308 but hey, it still works, still fills a role. Don't go shipping her off quite yet. Though if you don't wish to head that advice, I'll give her a home, have room in my safe after all. Lol.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    The purpose my 5.56 served only revealed itself after I realized a $1.50 flew out of the barrel every time I pulled the trigger on my 308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I tend to agree. I honestly think most urban sniper work would be better served with 5.56. And I think part of that is it so much easier to shoot well. A 308 gas gun can be very accurate, but kicks, spits, bounces all the while making precision work harder. Very much doable though. One could easily argue either way though.

Weight, cost of ammo, fun says keep both. I love my LMT MWS, so Im not a hater.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think it still has a place. Weight and more controllable being the top two pros.
    I went backwards..started out with n LR-308 and then put together a MK12 Mod 1.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    My MSTN SPR may be my favorite rifle (6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun is growing on me). SPR is so easy to shoot, light weight, my mechanics are better on the smaller frame, and you can easily use it at close range if need be. Don't get me wrong I really like my 7.62 LaRue but it's a different animal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Colt Armorer Course, 2004
    Remington Factory LE Armorer School (870, 1187, and 700), 2008, 2013
    Remington 870 LE Armorer course, 2017
    Specialized Armament M16 / M4 / AR-15® Advanced Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    Glock Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    S&W M&P 15 Armorer Course, 2013, 2019

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I look at it as having a framing hammer and trim/finish hammer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hmm. I am finding myself in a similar situation.
    I have just finishing up an 18" SPR concept rifle and at the same time starting a .308 build.
    Been trying to figure out what I want to make this .308 into. I bigger bore SPR-ish rifle or a 308 AR battle rifle.

The struggle is real.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Alliance Shoothouse, YSINTG, Carbine 1, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    No, no purpose, send it up this way and I'll be sure to put the ol' girl out to a proper pasture.

No, seriously, lighter weight is the first thing that popped into my head. Second would be cheaper practice ammo if you are working on long range, yes it might dope different than .308 but considering cost difference in ammo, even reloads it is a consideration, as would be it as a option for a lighter weight, lower recoil trainer if you were working with a younger pup, if you have children on precision shooting. Next, would be possible magazine and ammo interchangeability, if one wishes to look at the inevitable what if the shit hits the fan comments, with others.

Its a tool, it may have a mission that will overlap with the .308 but hey, it still works, still fills a role. Don't go shipping her off quite yet. Though if you don't wish to head that advice, I'll give her a home, have room in my safe after all. Lol.
    Thanks for the offer bro.I passed the offer/opportunity along to her, but she prefers Texas and she's got a thing going with one of my SBR's...Maybe I'll get another Recce out of that torrid relationship. Straight up. That was funny.

But you hit some great points. I do have a boy (10) who is getting into shooting, and my SPR does shoot as smooth as butter..
    I do get your point about being a tool. That was numero uno lesson my mentor taught me. Have a purpose for your weapon. know that on the front end of the build not after you've built something you may or may not actually need.

All very solid points. Appreciate it.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast