Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My 5.56 SPR: Will it still have a Purpose after the LR-308 is Built

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Hahahahaha, no, not Gap as in jeans, GA Precision GAP-10 in 6.5. I am running a Schmidt & Bender 5-25 PMII scope. I figured if I was going to go nig....go all the way big. �� I have really learned to shoot big bore AR-10's with this rifle.

I have come to look at the 6.5 CM as my 800-1200 yd. gun. My .308 will get me to 600ish yards, my 6.5 CM takes over after that. Just fun stuff to talk about and play with. Probably nothing I'll ever have to deal with in real life.

Feedback Score
    I have a few of each and for me it's just a bit easier on my wallet to shoot the .556/.223 then the LR or 17s and if I want to reach out I bring out the 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    I think it's good thing to own at least 1 AR in .556/.223 and 1 AR in .308....And add more from there.

Feedback Score
    I own mostly surplus style .308's; FN, HK, and an LRB. I think you are better served with a precision semi-auto 5.56 and then go with a bolt gun .308 if you are wanting to reach out farther.

Inside of 600 meters I would prefer a 5.56 rifle anyway especially with all the modern loads they've come up with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As an aside I think your SPR will still fill the same role you want it to now after you have the 308. I have some buddies who have every contingency conceivable covered....you know this when you have to 'walk' into their custom climate controlled gun room complete with dehumidifier! I've only recently gone to the 308AR full time it's my deer/hog/yote gun all 12 months . I can reload 308 for less than 99% of people buy quality .223 plinking ammo, put down anything at any conceivable range that may show up no matter how big and bring follow up shots quickly(why my bolt stays at home now). The last point is paramount and was the reason I leapt to the platform b/c when 10, 15, 20 or more hogs show up that is a sounder you want to take advantage of....hogs have gone from a nuisance to a serious problem. Heck if it's a single hog a 22mag will do b/c you can head/neck the first one, but once they scatter full tilt this old guy can't say he's aiming for head and neck! For me the 308AR was the biggest no brainer of all time can't believe I fought it as long as I did, but I'm also a big dummy. I still have an AR15, but I have not shot it since maybe June or July?
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-13-17 at 07:06.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    As an aside I think your SPR will still fill the same role you want it to now after you have the 308. I have some buddies who have every contingency conceivable covered....you know this when you have to 'walk' into their custom climate controlled gun room complete with dehumidifier! I've only recently gone to the 308AR full time it's my deer/hog/yote gun all 12 months . I can reload 308 for less than 99% of people buy quality .223 plinking ammo, put down anything at any conceivable range that may show up no matter how big and bring follow up shots quickly(why my bolt stays at home now). The last point is paramount and was the reason I leapt to the platform b/c when 10, 15, 20 or more hogs show up that is a sounder you want to take advantage of....hogs have gone from a nuisance to a serious problem. Heck if it's a single hog a 22mag will do b/c you can head/neck the first one, but once they scatter full tilt this old guy can't say he's aiming for head and neck! For me the 308AR was the biggest no brainer of all time can't believe I fought it as long as I did, but I'm also a big dummy. I still have an AR15, but I have not shot it since maybe June or July?
    Having just finished my 308 this weekend and spent the morning shooting it. I can say that me and SGAMMO.com are going to be very good friends...
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Having just finished my 308 this weekend and spent the morning shooting it. I can say that me and SGAMMO.com are going to be very good friends...
    SG is awesome. I've tried probably close to 10 different flavors of their .308 offerings. Did a lot of testing with over 2MOA unacceptable. Tested in 24" bolt and 18" semi-auto. Was a fun experiment during the ammo scarcity that I'd probably not have done otherwise.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-29-17 at 05:27.

Feedback Score
    I just finished a .308 build and am contemplating an SPRish build. My thought is, along with the cost of ammo being cheaper for 5.56 and the platform can save weight over a .308, that my .308 is intended to be used as a long range rifle, 500 yards and beyond. That's how I set it up. I plan on taking advantage of the distance I can get out of the .308 cartridge. The SPR that I plan on building would be for 150 to 400 yards( just throwing out numbers) and I would use my other ar setup and used for closer ranges. Also, there's nothing wrong with having multiple guns. Why not?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456