Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 5.56 SPR: Will it still have a Purpose after the LR-308 is Built

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyzik View Post
    Hmm. I am finding myself in a similar situation.
    I have just finishing up an 18" SPR concept rifle and at the same time starting a .308 build.
    Been trying to figure out what I want to make this .308 into. I bigger bore SPR-ish rifle or a 308 AR battle rifle.

The struggle is real.
    I exchanged some PM's with a guy who posted in the AR-10/LR-308 Build Thread. By the way, it is a great thread with a lot of knowledge I recommend checking it out if you haven't already. But one of the thread posters chose to go the battle rifle route with his LR-308. He initially was considering LMT's MWS, LaRue's OBR, and SCAR, but went the custom build route and he said he has no regrets. I pinged him to confirm what I thought his reasons were. THey were.

1. He wanted more knock down power than 5.56
    2. He did not see himself shooting out to 600-800 yd. range in situation where he using his battle rifle.
    3. He wanted to manage weight, so the 16" barrel makes for a more manageable/maneuverable AR.

One consideration, and I think it has bearing on his choices, is that I do believe this is his first and maybe only AR. So he's not like many of us, with several AR's, each designated for a role. So no cross caliber mag issues or multiple round purchasing etc.

I won't lie and say I have never considered a pinned and welded 14.5 in 7.62 because I have. Beastly.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I exchanged some PM's with a guy who posted in the AR-10/LR-308 Build Thread. By the way, it is a great thread with a lot of knowledge I recommend checking it out if you haven't already. But one of the thread posters chose to go the battle rifle route with his LR-308. He initially was considering LMT's MWS, LaRue's OBR, and SCAR, but went the custom build route and he said he has no regrets. I pinged him to confirm what I thought his reasons were. THey were.

1. He wanted more knock down power than 5.56
    2. He did not see himself shooting out to 600-800 yd. range in situation where he using his battle rifle.
    3. He wanted to manage weight, so the 16" barrel makes for a more manageable/maneuverable AR.

One consideration, and I think it has bearing on his choices, is that I do believe this is his first and maybe only AR. So he's not like many of us, with several AR's, each designated for a role. So no cross caliber mag issues or multiple round purchasing etc.

I won't lie and say I have never considered a pinned and welded 14.5 in 7.62 because I have. Beastly.
    I glanced in the thread a while back. I need to peruse it some more.

I don't have any long range placed to shoot either. Not until I can become a member somewhere anyway, and every club is a drive.

I'm thinking a 16" with a 1-6 or similar.
    This will be my only .308 and in the above configuration it can be sort of a jack of all trades in 30 cal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Alliance Shoothouse, YSINTG, Carbine 1, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram

Feedback Score
    How about a 6.5 Grendel? I wish I researched that caliber before I spent the money on my 308.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    16 or 18" SPR can take most game no problem with the right ammo. No problems on 2 legged predators either, within reasonable ranges for offensive purposes and certainly within any range that would qualify as defensive use. An SPR, or good recce setup, and a 308 gas gun are definitely archetypes with a lot of overlap. Truth is though is that certain aspects of each will appeal to different people, or the same person on different days. If I were starting out, I start with the one that's cheaper to feed, and easier to maneuver. Get both, and see which one calls your name more often. You may just have to put them through some work to see what you're more naturally inclined to grab. Then shelve or sell the other.

To do it all again, I'd stay away from calibers that aren't 5.56, 7.62 pinko, or 7.62 NATO in semi-auto guns. Just my opinion, I like things to be kind of standardized and I'm tired of keeping track of 20 different kinds of ammo.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    To do it all again, I'd stay away from calibers that aren't 5.56, 7.62 pinko, or 7.62 NATO in semi-auto guns. Just my opinion, I like things to be kind of standardized and I'm tired of keeping track of 20 different kinds of ammo.
    Im right there with you. I'm selling my only non 5.56/x39/x51 rifle right now. I want to experiment with the .260 Remington or 6.5 Creed and the .300 BLK eventually but the juice just isn't worth the squeeze at this point. I just don't think that there's anything I need a gun to do that couldn't be handled by an 11.5 or 16" 5.56 or a 16" 308 as far as gas guns go.
    Last edited by cougar_guy04; 03-01-17 at 19:22.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Thanks for the offer bro.I passed the offer/opportunity along to her, but she prefers Texas and she's got a thing going with one of my SBR's...Maybe I'll get another Recce out of that torrid relationship. Straight up. That was funny.

But you hit some great points. I do have a boy (10) who is getting into shooting, and my SPR does shoot as smooth as butter..
    I do get your point about being a tool. That was numero uno lesson my mentor taught me. Have a purpose for your weapon. know that on the front end of the build not after you've built something you may or may not actually need.

All very solid points. Appreciate it.
    Lol. No problem. If you're rifles are like mine changes are you'll end up with them producing an AR pistol in the future. I know mine breed striped lowers.

And yeah, if you got a growing boy teaching him on a nice rifle isn't a bad thing, I mean you got daddy's rifle and junior's rifle. It just might spoil him some when it comes to shooting rifles though. I know if I started with a suppressed SPR I'd have been a spoiled little shit. Lol.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I play with my 5.56 SPR out to 500 or 600. Beyond that I step into the 6.5creed in the big frame AR. Inside of 500(and honestly out to ~800, for me) the 6.5 creed is cheating and not really a challenge. Beyond 800 is when things get a lot more difficult so I dont really ever play inside of that with the 6.5 except for a few warm up shots when I hit the range since I dont shoot long range except every 2-3 months.

And it was already brought up: big frame guns cost a lot to shoot. 6.5 creed is ~70c a pull and I reload. .308 will be similar(depending on brass cost). precision 5.56 I think I am loading for 30c for 77g stuff.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfk4lyfe View Post
    How about a 6.5 Grendel? I wish I researched that caliber before I spent the money on my 308.
    I thought about the 6.5 Grendel and even the 6.5 Creedmoor because they definitely have better ballistics than 7.62 NATO. I believe that both ballistics and shootability (is that even a word?) are superior. But as we used to say in Uncle Sam's Traveling Circus..."However- Comma", from my ex-military practical tactical viewpoint/mindset I believe there is wisdom in going the more common route of 7.62 NATO round. I can't think of a case when the zombie apocalypse comes where the Grendel or Creedmoor ammo would be more abundantly available. So in my mind the better ballistics are not worth the loss of commonality. I may be wrong in my thought process, but I need a plan and I need to stick to it and that's mah plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 03-02-17 at 08:50.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    6.5 grendel definitely does NOT have better ballistics than .308/7.62x51.

6.5 grendel is much more similiar to 300blk. Small frame AR stuff.

If you arent going to spend a lot of time past 800, than .308 is PLENTY good.

ESPECIALLY if you are not a reloader, although 6.5 creed is definitely becoming more and more main stream.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfk4lyfe View Post
    The 5.56 will weigh about half as much, so there's that... Depends what you're doing with them I guess.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration, but yes they are lighter. A couple of pounds lighter is not half, but it does mae a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    The purpose my 5.56 served only revealed itself after I realized a $1.50 flew out of the barrel every time I pulled the trigger on my 308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please delete this in case someone's wife stumbles upon this fact.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast