Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 5.56 SPR: Will it still have a Purpose after the LR-308 is Built

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Please delete this in case someone's wife stumbles upon this fact.
    Hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Alliance Shoothouse, YSINTG, Carbine 1, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The way I look at it, there's nothing wrong with having multiple weapons that fill similar purposes, if you like shooting, 'accumulate' guns etc. Unless you're trying to narrow the herd down, consolidate, or only own guns as tools (and not as a hobby or the pure joy of shooting different types of weapons), then i wouldn't worry about it unless you really find the weapon sitting in the safe for years without being shot and you have no emotional attachment to it.
    For .308 vs 5.56 SPR-ish rifles, I'd classify them as 'deer rifle' and 'varmit rifle'. While you could, you may not always want to use that deer rifle to shoot varmits. As others have mentioned here, the cost of .308 may be high enough to limit how much you'd want to shoot or plink, whereas a 5.56 will be easier on the wallet and make you worry less about the cost of 'fun' plinking.
    Basically all my handguns have the same purpose, but I have multiple handguns because I like variety, and I plain like guns. Same goes for various rifles with overlapping or duplicate roles. If for some reason I had to downsize and I had to choose one or two; then I'd pick the most versatile ones that fit whatever my needs are at that time.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    That's a bit of an exaggeration, but yes they are lighter. A couple of pounds lighter is not half, but it does mae a difference.

Please delete this in case someone's wife stumbles upon this fact.
    If my LR-308 weighs twice as much as my 5.56 SPR, I'm gonna be sporting some bigger guns totin it. That or a bad back. My current SPR weighs in about 23 lbs. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    6.5 grendel definitely does NOT have better ballistics than .308/7.62x51.

You are correct I shouldn't have lumped them together.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    That or a bad back. My current SPR weighs in about 23 lbs. lol

Is that an exaggeration or what it really weighs? You sure it 5.56 and not a 20mm? I guess shit really is bigger in Texas.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    The way I look at it, there's nothing wrong with having multiple weapons that fill similar purposes, if you like shooting, 'accumulate' guns etc. Unless you're trying to narrow the herd down, consolidate, or only own guns as tools (and not as a hobby or the pure joy of shooting different types of weapons), then i wouldn't worry about it unless you really find the weapon sitting in the safe for years without being shot and you have no emotional attachment to it.
    For .308 vs 5.56 SPR-ish rifles, I'd classify them as 'deer rifle' and 'varmit rifle'. While you could, you may not always want to use that deer rifle to shoot varmits. As others have mentioned here, the cost of .308 may be high enough to limit how much you'd want to shoot or plink, whereas a 5.56 will be easier on the wallet and make you worry less about the cost of 'fun' plinking.
    Basically all my handguns have the same purpose, but I have multiple handguns because I like variety, and I plain like guns. Same goes for various rifles with overlapping or duplicate roles. If for some reason I had to downsize and I had to choose one or two; then I'd pick the most versatile ones that fit whatever my needs are at that time.
    I guess I'm a bit of both MM. My firearms are tools. They all have a purpose. But I absolutely love building a new AR. That's probably in truth why I am building this LR-308. I don't have a tactical purpose for an AR-15 hat I haven't already satisfied. So if I were laying on the proverbial couch I would come to the realization that I am in part building this 308 because I ran out of AR-15'a to build. (Gasp!!!!) Without building the same thing twice. This is easier to justify because it does fill a distance potential that my 5.56 doesn't fulfill with as much authority. As I write this I wonder if I will end up building that 14.5 LR-308, because for me part of the joy of ownership is knowing I built each one.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Is that an exaggeration or what it really weighs? You sure it 5.56 and not a 20mm? I guess shit really is bigger in Texas.
    That is a true statement, but now that you have me thinking about it, I think I was remembering the weight of one of my chest rigs. My primary TT rig. I think my SPR was 12-13 lbs. I remember I was weighing a couple pieces of gear and probably got crossed up on my numbers.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    As I write this I wonder if I will end up building that 14.5 LR-308, because for me part of the joy of ownership is knowing I built each one.
    I hear ya on that one. I thoroughly enjoy the assembly process. I put together a .308 AR simply because I purchased an 80% lower. I had the .308 role already filled by two FAL-type rifles; a para and a standard length, but what the hey.
    I've been tinkering with AR's since the mid 80's, so I'm past the 'tool' phase and have different AR's with overlapping purposes just because I like them. A bit off-topic, but the most fun I've had putting together an AR was a retro-ish build. More so than any of my recent modern rifles. If you like building rifles and haven't yet done a retro build, I recommend you do it, just for the pure pleasure of putting one together. My retro is one of my favourite rifles to shoot: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapon...ccess6.html#xm

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I was off bro. I mean, let's be honest, it's no lightweight carbon fiber job, but thankfully I was indeed confused with TT chest rig weight.

The numbers are in...

And the culprit. See? You don't really want to add this ugly thing to your collection. It would be out of place. Like a trailer park hooker at a debutante ball.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I hear ya on that one. I thoroughly enjoy the assembly process. I put together a .308 AR simply because I purchased an 80% lower. I had the .308 role already filled by two FAL-type rifles; a para and a standard length, but what the hey.
    I've been tinkering with AR's since the mid 80's, so I'm past the 'tool' phase and have different AR's with overlapping purposes just because I like them. A bit off-topic, but the most fun I've had putting together an AR was a retro-ish build. More so than any of my recent modern rifles. If you like building rifles and haven't yet done a retro build, I recommend you do it, just for the pure pleasure of putting one together. My retro is one of my favourite rifles to shoot: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapon...ccess6.html#xm
    THAT is one beautiful AR. I think I've already been bitten by the retro bug. It's not full on showing the symptoms, but in the back of my mind, probably since I figured out "Hey I can really build an excellent shooting AR!" that I began to consider building a "retro". Part of the retro appeal to me is building a weapon I've actually used. I know not everyone has been in that position, but I think if they were they'd probably understand the appeal. As a friend who owns a really nice 6920 says, "It's both nostalgic and a badass weapon." So if I go that route it would mean building an M60A2 MG. Just kidding. (I was assigned this weapon for a while.) But rather a M16A2, which was the weapon I was first assigned (Prior to being assigned an M4) I realize that technically it doesn't fall into the retro category since it's newer than the A1, but I would personally get more enjoyment out of building a weapon like or very similar to a rifle I was actually assigned and used.

Right now on my bench, I've got my LR-308, which I just got my barrel in today, so that's super exciting, and a couple of days ago I received a 16" 300BLK Faxon QPQ barrel with an Aero upper. So I'm going to just finish the 300BLK out using my spare parts, but I'm in no rush. I'm most interested in shooting it when I get my can out of NFA jail. But my focus will be putting my 308 together.

After that? Who knows! A quick trip to the doctor's couch may result in me going retro and putting together a M16A2, or I may go crazy and build another LR-308, and experience barrel shrinkage. Is there a pill for that?

Thanks for sharing the link to your retro. I really did enjoy reading it. I found it very cool that someone can go through their spare parts and pull out an A1 Carbine upper. That tells me that my spare parts bin is more like a spare parts shoebox.

I'm telling you MM, if I go from pure tactical utilitarian to gun-building enthusiast, I'm blaming you!!
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast