Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My 5.56 SPR: Will it still have a Purpose after the LR-308 is Built

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I try to run my guns as slick and light as possible, but while I love my irons only carbine for range and practice, optics, lights, and nicer slings do make life easier and more comfortable.

And since you bitched, I went to photobucket. Is is bad I had an account but never did anything with it? Don't answer that. Anyway, here is a current picture of the rifle. Sling and larue clips and all. I do fine her to be a nice shooting rifle. If memory serves I want to say around 10.5 pounds loaded. That was after I gutted the junk in the stock and stopped trying to carry a damn armorer's kit and bubble gum in the ACS. Seriously, was like a pound difference.
    [IMG][/IMG]

And here she is with her more close quarter's/general purpose sister. And yes, both have SSA triggers cuz I like nice triggers and I cannot lie. And M600Us, because I can, and both shoot great.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. What can I say? I'm just proud that you actually remembered you had a photobucket account and remembered your login and password. Impressive friend. Very impressive. But to the tools from your toolbox. I like. Clean and to the point. All about the biniz. Nice background too by the way, but nicely done on your builds. If you decide you want some color in those index clips give me a shout, I'll mail you some variety. But that OD ACS? Very first stock I owned. Did a fair job of pulling out my beard hair though, but very solidly built.

Well I am digressing from my own thread, but since you showed me yours, I'm gonna have to show you mine. At least part of mine, it's only fair.
    L to R, 12 LaRue barrel, 11.5 DD CHF, and 10.3 BA Hanson. They all have LMT BCGs in the process of swapping out LMT carriers for their enhanced carrier and keeping the standard L7A3D bolt. Mostly CMC triggers, but my 11.5 has a KAC trigger. I like the KAC, mostly after it's broken in, but it does make a good tactical trigger. Not too light that a hangup doesn't produce a misfire, but quick on the reset.

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 03-04-17 at 00:30.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Thanks MM, I have a couple of their AR-15's. Those are gtg also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Back to the original thread topic - I would never sell my 18" 5.56. My 308 AR is much better for true long-range shooting past 400 yards and is more useful for hunting. But, the 5.56 is so much easier to shoot well, especially from other especially other positions, as well as for spotting my own hits. It is cheaper to shoot too. It is my favorite rifle particularly with a can.

Despite the overlap they are two different tools and have their own role.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Hi guys,

As the title suggests I'm curious if you think my 5.56 SPR will still have a purpose once I finish building my LR-308. Right now my SPR is my intermediate to long range precision weapon, obviously within the capabilities of the caliber, the ammo I use, and most importantly, my capabilities behind the glass. (Or lack thereof.)

When I finished the 18" LR-308, will I still have a need for little brother?

As an aside, I'm not only concerned with the two is one, one is none adage. But is there a purpose or gap I'm missing that my 5.56 SPR can provide coverage for? Both 5.56 and LR-308 will be suppressed.

Thanks

RTT
    To me, there is always a purpose for every gun I own. I certainly don't see any reason you would want to get rid of it. JMHO
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    I think there is always a need for variety. There are folks that I know (as well as many here on this forum) that will crap on a SPR as they always will give first dibs to the .308 and say, "If you want to get anything done, ditch the 5.56 and go .308" in my opinion it's no different than the same conversation at 9mm vs .45 acp. Yes, they will both have their strengths and weaknesses.

In the SHTF situation, I would much rather have a 5.56 rather than my .308 due to bullet commonality, weight of the gun, and weight of ammo. Just my .02

Long story short that is never short.....enjoy both! They are just two different tools is all!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I actually had this same conversation with an active duty Army sniper the other day. It started with him stating he didn't care for the CSASS rifle.

He said that he, as well as multiple other sniper teams, have gone back to the SPR type guns as their semi auto sniper systems. His reasoning was that the 5.56 guns were easier to shoot under 600 yards than the 308 gas guns. And anything out past 600 they were using the XM2010.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    I think there is always a need for variety. There are folks that I know (as well as many here on this forum) that will crap on a SPR as they always will give first dibs to the .308 and say, "If you want to get anything done, ditch the 5.56 and go .308" in my opinion it's no different than the same conversation at 9mm vs .45 acp. Yes, they will both have their strengths and weaknesses.

In the SHTF situation, I would much rather have a 5.56 rather than my .308 due to bullet commonality, weight of the gun, and weight of ammo. Just my .02

Long story short that is never short.....enjoy both! They are just two different tools is all!
    Doc, you are right. there are those in every crowd or forum. Usually most of them have never engaged a human target with either weapon. I find that odd. But truth is, I'm glad we didn't encounter any on this thread.(Although I would have enjoyed all the responses to some asinine comment like that.) Only Kain wanted me to get rid of the SPR, but that's because he wanted to take ownership of it. Crazy guy.

But to your point about .308 and 556. I don't really mix the two. I know I asked if the LR-308 was going to replace my SPR, but I already knew that SPR wasn't going anywhere. I really wanted to hear all the thoughts from the guys on why they thought I should or shouldn't keep it. It's like any other tool you or I own and use. There's a right time to use each. I don't teach my son how to whittle with my ESEE 6 or a combat knife. I teach him with a small Spyderco lockblade. I think AR's are similar in principle. There's a purpose for my SPR, and there's a purpose for my DMR. Sure there is some cross over between the two, but I am taking to heart the things I read here on the thread, about lower price/round. Shootability (if that's a word) etc. I took my 10 year old son out this weekend, and granted it was only bench shooting, but my boy LOVED shooting my SPR. It's the first time he's shot it. I have a couple lighter builds that shoot well that I normally work with him on, but he totally dug the SPR, the scope and the end result of his target. That just made me so proud how excited he was. That was one of the points also brought up. Shooting/training family.
    And of course the bottom line, in the zombie apocalypse, you are absolutely right on commonality of round. That's why I did not go with a 6.5 Creedmoor. NATO or nuttin'!
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I actually had this same conversation with an active duty Army sniper the other day. It started with him stating he didn't care for the CSASS rifle.

He said that he, as well as multiple other sniper teams, have gone back to the SPR type guns as their semi auto sniper systems. His reasoning was that the 5.56 guns were easier to shoot under 600 yards than the 308 gas guns. And anything out past 600 they were using the XM2010.
    That's interesting C.. I wonder if it's because of the CSASS platform or caliber or both? I'm guessing they're using Mk12 Mod1's? Well personally, I can see them giving the Mk12 and the Remington a little more love. The fact they'd rather use their SPR and the Remington, rather than the HK, does make me smile. (No hatin' on me now. lol) What you're saying makes sense because it jibes with some of the comments made here, even though I'm not sure how many or if any of those who commented are/were snipers. But some of the common sense points are solid no matter what the occupation behind the glass right? The SPR is just a better caliber to shoot when you're in its capabilities. 2nd shot speed & accuracy, comfort, etc. etc. And when you need to go bigger. Go Bigger. 300WM has much better ballistics than 7.62, but also heavier and bigger kick, but I have read where they've had some nice success with the XM2010 across the pond. I think I'll go ahead and finish out my DMR though. Too vested to switch gears now.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great post, been a neat read. I like posts that are just fun, and no one jumps in and messes them up. This post is like a conversation we could all be having out at the shooting range.

I'll throw out another fun variable. How about when you have an SPR, a .308 gasser, AND a true long range 6.5 Creedmoor GA GAP-10? How does one decide then? I've broken it down to distance I'm likely to shoot that day. I figure it's 5.56 SPR for 500yds and in, my .308 out to 6-700yds (I have a 16" with a 1-8), and my 6.5 GAP takes me out past 1k. My best ever with my GAP was 1250yds. :-)
    I just look at it like this: thank God we live in a country where we are allowed to have such serious dilemmas.
    I love my 5.56 SPR, and my GAP 6.5, but if it ever came down to "only one", it would be really hard to get rid of my DD5V1 .308. It's compact enough for real CQB, but plenty accurate enough as a DMR out to 600 or so. That may be my favorite "all around" rifle.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    Great post, been a neat read. I like posts that are just fun, and no one jumps in and messes them up. This post is like a conversation we could all be having out at the shooting range.

I'll throw out another fun variable. How about when you have an SPR, a .308 gasser, AND a true long range 6.5 Creedmoor GA GAP-10? How does one decide then? I've broken it down to distance I'm likely to shoot that day. I figure it's 5.56 SPR for 500yds and in, my .308 out to 6-700yds (I have a 16" with a 1-8), and my 6.5 GAP takes me out past 1k. My best ever with my GAP was 1250yds. :-)
    I just look at it like this: thank God we live in a country where we are allowed to have such serious dilemmas.
    I love my 5.56 SPR, and my GAP 6.5, but if it ever came down to "only one", it would be really hard to get rid of my DD5V1 .308. It's compact enough for real CQB, but plenty accurate enough as a DMR out to 600 or so. That may be my favorite "all around" rifle.
    I just went to familiarize myself with the GAP-10. My Google-Fu resulted in some clothing store called "The GAP". I figured you didn't buy you weapon from them because they are libtards. Anyway, boy if your weapon looks anything like the GAP-10G2 on GA's website, then holy cow, that's quite a rifle, chambered in 6.5 CM? Lethal with free long distance calling. lol WHat scope do you have on your GA-10? The 6.5 Creedmoor is a hard round to beat, in for accuracy. I'm hoping to get a little more out of my DMR than 700 feet though. Speaking of which. I'm down to buying the rail. Everything else is ready.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast