Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Stoner quality?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RJeff21 View Post
    I have no experience with the Sionics lower, but from the looks of it (provided I'm looking at the right model) it appears to be a standard forged lower receiver. Same exact thing with the KAC lowers linked in that post, just a regular old forged lower receiver. Neither of them have any added features (like an ambi bolt catch/release, QD mounting points, etc).

In my experience, so long as you get a forged lower from a quality manufacturer, you'll be fine. Hell, my two registered SBR lowers are $50 PSA blems (I assembled to double check function before sending off the Form 1).

I ended up going with Aero because Quantico Tactical was running a sale of 3 for $180. They are well finished, no chatter marks and everything assembled quite smoothly. One thing I didn't bother with but probably should have was measuring the trigger and hammer pin holes for proper distance and parallelism, but everything works as advertised and I'm happy with what I got.
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RJeff21 View Post
    It's really impossible to tell just from "comparing" them if it's a good part. Was the surface hardening done correctly? Were the engagement surfaces messed with after proper surface hardening, which could lead to hammer follow or double/triples? That's impossible to know from dry firing or putting a few rounds down range.

The facts of the matter are that AR Stoner developed a poor reputation for shoddy quality and QC during the panic of 12/13 where they had a lot of parts failing at abnormally low round counts. With BCM (or companies like them), you know you're getting a quality part. With AR Stoner? That's really going to be a toss up.
    Thank you for that explanation. My sons a member here on the board and I would like for him to read these subjects about AR Stoner.
    You're correct in stating BCM makes quality parts. It's not much, but I am using their bolt extractor upgrade kits in my (2) AR's.
    I suggested he use an ALG trigger.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    question is...is AR Stoner Brand a ripoff of Eugene Stoner or KAC brand?

Feedback Score
    AR Stoner isn't a brand synonymous with quality.

Feedback Score
    Back during one of the scares and when panic buying was at an all time high, BCG's were very hard to find and when you did they were usually very expensive. I bought an AR Stoner bcg from Midway during that time and had to return it. The lugs on the bolt were showing excessive signs of wear just from manually cycling the action. I never fired a round with it. During that time many other customers were having the same problem. It seemed like the bolt wasn't heat treated properly and the metal was too soft. Not sure how their quality is now, but I still stay away.
    Last edited by Flabbergasted; 04-28-17 at 10:45. Reason: Misspelled words

Feedback Score
    I just bought my daughter an AR Stoner anodized 80% lower not long ago. It's quality seemed as good as my Tactical Machine 80% lower but it wasn't anodized.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Cool story. Get back to us after it's had some use.

Quote Originally Posted by AR-556 View Post
    My son just recently bought an AR Stoner trigger from Midway on sale for $30. He compared it to the BCM/PNT trigger and they were both similar, except for the price. The ARS trigger was $20 cheaper. So, is this ARS trigger "trash" as well?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-556 View Post
    Thank you for that explanation. My sons a member here on the board and I would like for him to read these subjects about AR Stoner.
    You're correct in stating BCM makes quality parts. It's not much, but I am using their bolt extractor upgrade kits in my (2) AR's.
    I suggested he use an ALG trigger.
    I'm a fan of the ALG ACT trigger. The QMS is your basic mil spec trigger. But using the ACT and their purple spring I had no issues at all. To test I ran some cheap hard primer ammo, and did. It experience a single FTF. When I'm building for my friends and they don't want to go with a more expensive trigger, I usually go the ACT route for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    I ended up going with Aero because Quantico Tactical was running a sale of 3 for $180. They are well finished, no chatter marks and everything assembled quite smoothly. One thing I didn't bother with but probably should have was measuring the trigger and hammer pin holes for proper distance and parallelism, but everything works as advertised and I'm happy with what I got.
    Loc
    For what it's worth, I've bought close to 14 Aero lowers since 2014. I've built 11 AR's with those lowers including my last build, a 308. They were the only lower that my LGS kept in stock. He had his own emblem added to them so that was his deal. But after the 3rd or 4th lower and not experiencing a single flaw - in terms of specification or fit and finish,(I have purchased more expensive lowers and can't say the same thing) anyway I decided that I had found a good product and could stick with it. To this day I have yet to buy an Aero that's jacked up in one way or the other. I usually, but not always pair the lower up with an Aero upper. Fitment was alway spot on. I know it doesn't matter functionally, but I don't have any excessive rattle betwe. my uppers and lowers, most are just tights as you'd expect. The finish also matched, which isn't a deal breaker. Sometimes I paint my AR's. My Vltor MUR-1A's finish doesn't match any lower I have, Noveske, KAC, or my Aeros. I'm not trying to say Aero is the best thing since sliced Wonder bread, I'm just saying that 11 out of 14 lowers and I haven't seen one issue.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Loc
    For what it's worth, I've bought close to 14 Aero lowers since 2014. I've built 11 AR's with those lowers including my last build, a 308. They were the only lower that my LGS kept in stock. He had his own emblem added to them so that was his deal. But after the 3rd or 4th lower and not experiencing a single flaw - in terms of specification or fit and finish,(I have purchased more expensive lowers and can't say the same thing) anyway I decided that I had found a good product and could stick with it. To this day I have yet to buy an Aero that's jacked up in one way or the other. I usually, but not always pair the lower up with an Aero upper. Fitment was alway spot on. I know it doesn't matter functionally, but I don't have any excessive rattle betwe. my uppers and lowers, most are just tights as you'd expect. The finish also matched, which isn't a deal breaker. Sometimes I paint my AR's. My Vltor MUR-1A's finish doesn't match any lower I have, Noveske, KAC, or my Aeros. I'm not trying to say Aero is the best thing since sliced Wonder bread, I'm just saying that 11 out of 14 lowers and I haven't seen one issue.

You've built a lot of guns in the past 3 years! I topped mine with an Aero E1 upper and a 12" E1 rail to cover a midlength gas system. I'm a huge fan of Magpul handguards and this was my first gun with a metallic rail, so I wanted to build one as sturdy as possible. The E1 system might be overkill, but I'm impressed. I realize that the odds are astronomical of someone twisting their barrel nut loose, but I'll never have to worry about that.

BTW, I lived in Clear Lake City for 3 years and I thoroughly loved Texas.
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast