Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMT 10.5 Range Review

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

LMT 10.5 Range Review

I found a LMT 10.5 upper locally for a very good price. It did not come with a BCG or handguards. I decided to build a pistol out of it and give it a try. If it ran well enough I told myself that I would go down the NFA path and SBR it.

The pistol has a KAK Shockwave Tube and Shockwave Blade brace on it. I have a carbine buffer and flatwire buffer spring in it. I brought with me to the range a BCM carbine recoil spring and BCM H buffer if I ran into any problems. It is built on an Aero lower. EDIT (I had an LMT lower on it with the brace but to be safe I assembled a stripped AERO lower and replaced it.) I have an Aero Precision BCG inside it. Couldn't find an LMT BCG. The trigger is from a DD rifle that now has G2s in it. The rest of the pins and springs are from a CMMG build kit.

I took it out for its first range session today to zero it and check for function with two types of ammo. I brought with me a 100 rounds of Wolf Gold 55gr and 100 rounds Privi M855 62gr.
    The LMT cycled just fine with both brands and weights of ammunition. I had zero malfunctions of any kind.

I started at 25m to do a dirty 100m zero with the Primary Arms Advanced red dot I have mounted on it.

Final 25m group for 100m zero using Wolf Gold 55gr before moving on to shoot for groups at 25m. Close enough.

Not a terrible backdrop for my 25m target.

I then fired 20 rounds at two targets at 25m using the Wolf.
    Target #1

Target #2

Satisfied I moved out to 50m. I also changed to the Privi 62gr M855.

I fired 20 rounds again (10 each as best I could count) at the two 50m targets.
    Target #1

Target #2. I really took my time and concentrated on what I was doing.

I am not disappointed in the results. At this point I decided to not take it to 100m. My eyes are for shit and seeing the target that far using a RDS is not very fun for me.
    Target #1 again

Target #2 again

I then decided to just have some fun and started shooting from different positions and moving around and just enjoying being all alone at the range and skipping work.

I now have a total of 200 rounds fired through it. I want to fire at least 300 more before I start the SBR process but so far I am pleased with the results and performance. I had read that the 10.5 barrel length may not play well with under powered ammunition and Wolf Gold is about as low as I will go. I didnt have any PMC to try. I mainly shoot Wolf Gold and Privi and Federal XM193 and M855 so I know this setup will run with what ammunition I tend to buy and use regularly. Satisfying myself that it would run with these types of ammunition was my main goal today.

I don't see myself really using this beyond 50m, again the shitty eyes, but I am sure it would work out fine if I did. I didnt think the concussion from the short barrel was that bad. I was under a roof when shooting for groups and it was not all that much different than a 16 inch bbl AR. Maybe a little deeper sounding but who knows, probably that is just my impression. I didn't notice any excessive flash either but it was pretty sunny. I don't think I would want to fire it down a hallway or at an indoor range. That would suck without a can on it.
    The LMT upper is what you would expect from LMT and nothing special but it worked fine for me today. It needs more rounds through it to be sure but so far so good.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 03-03-17 at 14:43.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    My 10.5 pistol is a LMT too. Thoroughly a drama-free experience and boring reliable, even with the equally drama-free LAW folder. Initially it had a SIG Brace but the KAK/Shockwave combo is both more compact and ergonomically viable.

Did you shoot the LMT enough to assess how the Magpul forearm handles heat?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Not sure why we don't see more LMT posts here. My rifle collection is almost 50-50 between BCM and Daniel Defense. The LMT's I own have great fit/finish/function (in the fit/finish category I give them a slight edge over the others).
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    My 10.5 pistol is a LMT too. Thoroughly a drama-free experience and boring reliable, even with the equally drama-free LAW folder. Initially it had a SIG Brace but the KAK/Shockwave combo is both more compact and ergonomically viable.

Did you shoot the LMT enough to assess how the Magpul forearm handles heat?
    I did heat it up quite a bit actually. The FSB was too hot to touch while the forearm was just warm. It didn't hurt that is was only 43 degrees out.

Feedback Score
    LMTs (including the complete lowers) start out as rifles. Going from rifle to pistol is a no-go.

ETA: Beautiful scenery. I assume you're out west.
    Last edited by Feline; 03-03-17 at 08:59.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Purchased as a stripped lower from dealer. Never had a rifle/carbine receiver extension on it that I am aware of. If this is a no-go I will swap the lower to dedicated pistol lower immediately.
    Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 03-03-17 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy-Reticle View Post
    Purchased as a stripped lower from dealer. Never had a rifle/carbine receiver extension on it that I am aware of. If this is a no-go I will swap the lower to dedicated pistol lower immediately.
    Per past conversation with LMT, LMT doesn't sell stripped lowers, and all LMT lowers are function tested using rifle-length uppers. It may be worth a call to LMT to sort things out. Provide them with serial, and they should be able to help you. Best of luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Per past conversation with LMT, LMT doesn't sell stripped lowers, and all LMT lowers are function tested using rifle-length uppers. It may be worth a call to LMT to sort things out. Provide them with serial, and they should be able to help you. Best of luck!
    LMT stripped lowers advertised for sale at large chain stores (20 locations) in Cali. Turners sporting goods just last week...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    LMT stripped lowers advertised for sale at large chain stores (20 locations) in Cali. Turners sporting goods just last week...
    If LMT is now selling stripped lowers, then depending on the history of HIS lower, the OP might be fine with using it for a pistol build. Historically, LMT lowers have been a no-go for pistol builds.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Ill contact LMT and find out. thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast