Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are there any acceptable standard pressure .38 Special loads for defensive use?

Feedback Score
    Can you still get Nyclads?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    Can you still get Nyclads?
    No, I don't think so. I just remembered that I have a box of 20 Winchester PDX, 130gr-ish standard pressure that I bought years ago because it did well in gel tests and I wanted a standard pressure load for a Colt DS - wish I'd bought more. Not sure if you can still find them, but they should do the job. Still, you could do a lot worse than wadcutters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All of them. They all work the same on the street. If the medical examiner can't tell the difference, neither can you.

Feedback Score
    There isn't much horsepower to work with RE: .38 from a snub. Can't expect it to punch through a door frame or auto windshield at 50 yds, expand and penetrate a bad guy, too.

Certainly lacking as a service projectile. But for regular folks it's good enough to put holes through bad guys. I feel the same way about .32/.380.

Might as well pick a non-round bullet profile for better cutting/ricochet reduction. Other than that consider accuracy, recoil, muzzle flash, and cost.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-28-18 at 06:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Listed as the "best" for .38 snubs
    Gold Dot 135 gr +P
    Winchester 130 gr bonded +P
    Barnes 110 gr XPB

Listed as "good"
    Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Might as well pick a non-round bullet profile for better cutting/ricochet reduction. Other than that consider accuracy, recoil, muzzle flash, and cost.
    I believe penetration should be at the top of that list. A bullet that may fail to go through, or even get to, vital tissue should be the last option.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123