Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new build - SLR sentry 7 adj GB issue

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Sorry.. I meant PPU, also switched off to Rem-Wolf but all 55g. None worked. Brass.

Also I meant Sentry 6.. which is same as 7 just small diameter.

The suppressor for this is still locked up. So it was unsuppressed. However, Faxon doesn't say it won't run unsuppresed, but then again with weak ammo, maybe it won't. I know it's intended for suppressed operation.

I talked to my friend again today. He said at some point he did feel a click/s. At any rate we just kept adjusting it to no avail. I guess we unscrewed it off the detent?

But the thing is that leaf spring. Just so that we are talking about the same thing and same direction.....

On the ejection port side of the block is a leaf spring. Held in place at the rear by a screw. Looking at it from the side one dimension-ally it looks sort of like a baseball bat with no handle.

The screw end on mine is basically flush with the face of the GB but the other end, the free end, the end of the baseball bat so to speak, sits proud of the GB. So that front end is thick. Not what I would expect from a "leaf". But perhaps it's simply a thick leaf. Seems like it wouldn't be very springy at that thickness though. At any rate it's in that position and trying to push it a bit does no good. IOW, it's not like it sprung too far open once and got stuck. It's simply stuck in place right now for reasons unknown.

It's possible the ammo was simply too weak and we went too far. Also if TKDpreacher is experiencing clicks, then no clicks, then clicks. That might explain what we were seeing too. I thought part of the SLR deal was that the mechanism did not get fouled so I would expect clicks all the time or something's wrong. .. and I'm not blaming SLR Sentry by any means. It's quite possible a couple things were in play and some operator error as well.

I just looked at a closeup of the Sentry and it looks like the front of that spring does sit off the face of the GB a bit by nature. The problem is I don't know what the insides look like. IOW, maybe I could somehow recapture the detent. But right now I'm kinda feeling like maybe I've lost something akin to a tumbler pin in a lock. I think I'm just going to start breaking it all back down and start from scratch.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Top pic is mine and shows how the leaf spring should look when seated into (not between) notch positions on the adjustment screw.

Bottom pic is not mine, it shows the leaf spring and detent removed and also clearly shows the notches on the adjustment screw (before and after cleaning pics side by side). The leaf spring puts pressure on the side of the screw through the detent and the detent hops the threads between notches before dropping into the next notch. This is the click or resistence you feel when turning the screw. If the spring is working properly you should see it move up when the adjustment screw is turned and the detent hops the threads between notches.

If you loosen the screw too much the detent will stop hoping notches on top of the small portion of thread where the notches are not cut. The leaf spring will also be lifted like it is in between notches. If you keep going looser past the point where the detent is up on the un-notched threads, the detent will drop below the threads all together and will ride on the smooth portion of the adjustment screw. The threads on the adjustment screw will then not be engaged with the gas-block threads and the screw would fly out the front of the gas block when you shoot it. When in this position below the threads the leaf spring will sit sealed against the side of the gas-block like if the detent were seated in an adjustment notch. In order to start the threads again of the screw into the gas-block you will have to get the detent over the initial thread lip by pushing firmly down on the screw against the detent while turning the screw tight. The detent will lift onto the thread lip until you thread the screw in deep enough to where the detent drops into the notches.
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 03-03-17 at 17:04.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Ok, I took my flash hider off.

Next I backed the screw all the way out.

I can see no detent. I mean, I can see the detent from the outside. It looks just like your top picture. Like a the spring is flat on a disk and the disk goes through the block.

BUT... the round detent part that should drop/ride/drop/ride/drop/ride on the threads, is simply not there. I even pushed on the back of the spring to try to push the detent through to the inside but nothing is clearing the threads of the GB. It's very hard to pus that spring. In fact, and I know this is not actually possible, but imagine if the spring were made to spring the other way and always hold the detnet up instead of push it towards the screw. That's sort of what it feels like. Which I know can't be the case. Like I said, I operated this thing before I ever installed it. I know what the clicks feel like. I can see the parts. I get what's supposed to be happening now, but that detent is simply not pressing through the side wall of the GB and I can't even force it. Which seems really bizarre for just those three parts. There is no damage on the screw, it looks perfectly fine. Still nice and black, no rough threads, no gouging, no nothing.

I can look up inside the GB and see the tip of the detent. It's just above the inner surface where the threads are cut in. It -seems like- I should just be able to take a screw drive blade and tap it lightly from outside and it would just pop right into place. But it doesn't seem to want to do that. It's like it rode up on the screw threads once and got stuck inside the GB wall.

ETA: Ok, man, this is really crazy. I just wedged a screw driver on top of the spring. flat to flat. put a t-handle ball driver in the adjustment screw. Turn the screw and the screw driver will bounce up and down as it detents. Remove the screw driver and nothing. you can turn the screw by hand, no detenting. It's like its sprung backwards. Is that even possible?

Could the front of the detent be sheared off? Again, no sign of anything like that happening by condition of screw.
    Last edited by tb-av; 03-03-17 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Ok, I took my flash hider off.

Next I backed the screw all the way out.

I can see no detent. I mean, I can see the detent from the outside. It looks just like your top picture. Like a the spring is flat on a disk and the disk goes through the block.

BUT... the round detent part that should drop/ride/drop/ride/drop/ride on the threads, is simply not there. I even pushed on the back of the spring to try to push the detent through to the inside but nothing is clearing the threads of the GB. It's very hard to pus that spring. In fact, and I know this is not actually possible, but imagine if the spring were made to spring the other way and always hold the detnet up instead of push it towards the screw. That's sort of what it feels like. Which I know can't be the case. Like I said, I operated this thing before I ever installed it. I know what the clicks feel like. I can see the parts. I get what's supposed to be happening now, but that detent is simply not pressing through the side wall of the GB and I can't even force it. Which seems really bizarre for just those three parts. There is no damage on the screw, it looks perfectly fine. Still nice and black, no rough threads, no gouging, no nothing.

I can look up inside the GB and see the tip of the detent. It's just above the inner surface where the threads are cut in. It -seems like- I should just be able to take a screw drive blade and tap it lightly from outside and it would just pop right into place. But it doesn't seem to want to do that. It's like it rode up on the screw threads once and got stuck inside the GB wall.

ETA: Ok, man, this is really crazy. I just wedged a screw driver on top of the spring. flat to flat. put a t-handle ball driver in the adjustment screw. Turn the screw and the screw driver will bounce up and down as it detents. Remove the screw driver and nothing. you can turn the screw by hand, no detenting. It's like its sprung backwards. Is that even possible?

Could the front of the detent be sheared off? Again, no sign of anything like that happening by condition of screw.
    I guess it is possible the detent is deformed or shaved down but unlikely unless the part is simply out of spec. It sounds to me like something is obstructing the detent from dropping back down under normal spring pressure. Or your leaf spring could be bent but if it worked before that seems unlikely and the detent would likely also move slightly in the space in between the spring and the gas block wall. You are going to have to take it apart and see or just take it off and send it to SLR to fix it. If you want to do it yourself they will send you a new leaf spring and detent hardware.

I just saw your edit, yeah normal spring pressure is not doing it. Either the spring is bent or there is a softer obstruction, or the spring, detent, or gas-block wall is out of spec and binding the assembly.
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 03-03-17 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yeah, I think I'll try to get it all apart tomorrow. It's got to come apart now no matter what. At first I thought maybe I was going to luckily be able to reseat the detent but something else is going on here.

Feedback Score
    This is an example of one of the many possible reasons why you really do not want your primary gas orifice to be located beyond a simple fixed barrel specific port.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The SLR is a simple device and simple to fix
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Simple? Possibly so, not as simple as other possible options overall.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OK, here's the update. The KMR tapped off with a block of wood rather easily. Thank goodness for something going right.

Took the GB apart. All the parts look fine. I can't find anything wrong except.... Upon reassembly, it's just loose. I cleaned a little crud from where the spring seats, like some crusty stuff. Not sure if it was thread locker or what. spring is flat. Detent looks like a hockey puck with a half tennis ball on top. No sharp edges on anything. Pulled it apart again, dropped the detent, so that's how loose it is in it slot. It moves freely. Put it back together. It's just floppy mushy. If I turn the screw I can kinda feel it drop in a channel but once in the channel you can just rock the screw back and forth with your fingers.

If I press on the detent end of the spring you can feel it ride up and down a bit. Not exactly a click it more like a mushy lobe it travels over, and again that's if I'm applying extra pressure for the spring.
    I'm thinking now it's some sort of defect. I can't recall exactly how it felt when I installed it but I can turn the screw with my fingers easily and rock the screw a good 1/8th turn, maybe more.

Sooo, I turn the sring over and click, click,click... tight screw. Turn back to original, mush,mush, mush, turn it over again,, click, click, click.

I don;t see any difference in the sides and can only think maybe the spring edge is just a hair to big and snagging or something and the other edge simply fits the cutout in the GB. At any rate, it seems like it's working.
    Last edited by tb-av; 03-04-17 at 08:51.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Simple? Possibly so, not as simple as other possible options overall.
    What would they be? I mean just a couple. I'm not married to this thing.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast