Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larger Magnums. Any love for them? Smith 500 and 454 Casull

Feedback Score

Larger Magnums. Any love for them? Smith 500 and 454 Casull

A great friend of mine sold his 44 Magnum S&W Performance Center 629 7.5" revolver to me. I reload on a Dillon progressive press.

Since then, I wondered what other calibers like the S&W 500, 460 VXR and 454 Casull was like.

I recently acquired a 454 Casull, and just fell in love. It's a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5". I recently fitted it with an Aimpoint T1 on a Weigand Rail. It had a cheap Simmons pistol scope, of which I didn't like. I recently acquired the dies, and I plan to reload this on a Single stage Hornady press.

Tomorrow, I will pick up a S&W 500 6.5". It will be sold with reloading dies, as well as some Brass, bullets, and primers. I will check the stores to see what factory ammo is available and reload based upon what is most accurate. Reloading data shows a lot of versatility for the round from 275 grains up to 700+ grains.

Any other people into the larger caliber Magnums?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For many years my big bore was 44 magnum and I really like it.
    Then a few years ago I wanted to try a bigger bore and went 480 Ruger Alaskan. Wow what a kick it has but not really that bad. The gel insert in the grip helps but you still feel it.
    Then I got another itch and went 475 linebaugh in a Freedom Arms 83. Not that hard to control. What a blast to shoot.
    For me, these hand cannons are fun range toys.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacos View Post
    For many years my big bore was 44 magnum and I really like it.
    Then a few years ago I wanted to try a bigger bore and went 480 Ruger Alaskan. Wow what a kick it has but not really that bad. The gel insert in the grip helps but you still feel it.
    Then I got another itch and went 475 linebaugh in a Freedom Arms 83. Not that hard to control. What a blast to shoot.
    For me, these hand cannons are fun range toys.
    I love shooting Steel but I wouldn't dare shoot it at anything less than 50 yards. I'd be worried about splashback. I've hit the Steel target at 50, and the target has fallen to the ground a few times with just 44 and 454. They're Arntzen targets which I have had for 6 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter in 44mag and shot quite a few deer with it. A couple of years ago i started hunting hogs with a handgun and sold it to purchase a 5.5" Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45LC. I've been shooting +P HSM Bear loads from it and it is a handful! I just picked up the same gun in 454 Casull and it is even more of a handful! Love them both though. I'm going to sell the 45LC since it is the same gun as the 454 Casull and I can fire both rounds out of the 454.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Had a ruger bisley convertible 45 45 acp/colt, and a 454 casull. The casull is gone now. It was a beautifully done piece though. Fun in super redhawk, not in super Blackhawk. If I think I'll need something bigger than 45 colt, I'm taking my m14 with me.

Feedback Score

Picked up the 500 today. It makes my 454 and 44 look small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My grail revolver at the moment is a S&W Performance Center .460 XVR with the Hi Viz sights. Haven't been able to run across a used one at a decent price.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got al the big uns too and like to punch paper and steel with them as the job has me too busy during hunting season to persue other targets. Finding good bullets for the big boomers and odd balls (on a 32 SAA H&R, FM and 32-20 rabbit hole) was difficult till I expanded the hobby to include casting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive owned a couple 44 mags through the years. Had a 9 inch Super Blackhawk that was crazy accurate. Was ringing the 300 yard gong at a range my buddy frequents. Sold it because I really didn't have a use for it and wanted something else that caught my eye.

Had a buddy in the Army that carried (yes as in CCW) a Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger in a shoulder holster. I always really liked that gun. Was a big ass bullet but the recoil wasn't punishing like a 500 is.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I acquired the Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" 454 Casull, and I loved shooting it. I put a Weigand Rail and an Aimpoint T1 on it.

So I just acquired the Smith And Wesson 500 Magnum. I went with a similar configuration but with a Stainless Steel Weigand Rail. I am going to roll the dice with a Primary Arms Advanced Microdot. This is my 6th Primary Arms Microdot. No issues with others but never on a super Magnum. It has a 3 year warranty. I'll take the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast