Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC

Feedback Score
    I have the same AR from Windham,even thought I have less then 1000 rounds through it I like it so much I added the SRC in .556 about 2 months ago to my collection,now with the weather turning warmer and the snow is just about gone I'll get both out more and see how they both do with a few thousand more rounds sent down range.

Feedback Score
    I took my new Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC to a local indoor range today and fired 110rds of Wolf 123gr FMJ lead core copper jacketed (no steel in the bullet) ammunition. There were three failures to fire the cartridge. Each time the cartridge fired the second time. Ejection was 100%. The D&H magazine (factory) ran 100% as did the Ross and Zhang magazine. The D&H magazine was a pain to load once I got to 20rds (of 30rds) and the Ross and Zhang magazine was easy to load the whole way. The USA 20rd magazine literally wouldn't feed the first cartridge. I'll give the chamber a good cleaning and take it back again to see if I have any failures to fire. Of course I won't be using the USA magazine.

Feedback Score
    You'll want the enhanced firing pin (longer, or you can modify a standard AR15 pin pretty easy) and Wolf gunsprings extra power hammer spring.

When I was playing this game I had no ignition problems after using these two items.

I sent you a PM.

Feedback Score
    I called Windham and spoke with a guy in their customer service department. He said that their 7.62x39 AR15's come with enhanced firing pins. I asked about the extra power hammer spring and he said that he wouldn't suggest going that route unless I've eliminated the ammo coating and/or a dirty chamber as the cause of the problem. The failures to fire only happened with the first two magazines through. The last two all fired 100%.

Feedback Score
    It has been a while, so I figured that I'd provide an update. I purchased four more of the Ross and Zheng Unimags. Unfortunately, none of the new ones would drop free from my rifle. In fact, none would drop free from any lower receiver that I tried. This was odd considering that the date code on the new ones was the same as the date code on the first one that I purchased. I sent them back to Primary Arms at their expense and received a prompt refund. I was looking over the Primary Arms website yesterday and found that they just released a 2nd generation of the Ross and Zheng Unimag. The description says that it has been redesigned to eliminate the exact magazine well tightness issue that I was experiencing. So, I ordered four more and will provide an update once I receive them. Hopefully they'll work. If not, I'll look at trying some of the D&H options.

I installed a Primary Arms 1-6x24 SFP scope on the rifle. The reticle is specifically calibrated for 7.62x39 and 300BO. After sighting in, the rifle/scope combination appears to be very accurate.

Meanwhile, I went to a local indoor range a couple of more times and had a few more failures to fire when shooting the Ukrainian Wolf 123gr FMJ lead core copper jacketed ammunition. Not knowing if it was just this particular type of ammunition, I decided to take the rifle to an outdoor range where I could fire the more common bimetal 7.62x39. I shot 38rds of Russian Wolf 123gr FMJ and 121rds of Romanian 123gr FMJ (322 & 97 on headstamp). I did have one failure to fire with the Romanian ammo. The cartridge did fire on the second try. So today I decided to install a Wolff XP hammer spring to see if it might eliminate the failure to fire issue. The Wolff website says that "XP hammer springs improve common ignition problems when using hard primer ammunition" which seems to be the problem that I'm having. Here's a picture with the Wolff on the left and the Windham on the right. They look the same to me.

I'll let you know if it eliminates the failure to fire problem or not.

Save for the occasional failure to fire issue which I'm hoping to eliminate, I'm very pleased with this rifle which has become one of my favorite AR15's.
    Last edited by Bret; 07-03-17 at 13:39.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC

My dad's 7.62x39 AR had the same problem. Once he installed the Wolf hammer spring, the rifle worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alpine2k3; 07-03-17 at 18:53.
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    I received the four Unimags that I ordered. I'm happy to report that they drop free from this rifle and several other lower receivers that I tried. I'll update after I have a chance to test them for functionality.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FYI, I put a Geiselle SSA-E trigger assy into my custom build AR in -39mm platform ... and she's 100% on ignition. Only failures - as anyone w/ -39mm AR experience knows - is mag related. I fixed a few older (unknown pedigree/use) ASC hi-cap mag issues by replacing the springs w/ new surplus AK mag springs.

I load my 30-rounders to 25-rounds ... and then they work reliably. Will let you know ... taking her out again this afternoon!

Feedback Score
    I went to the range today with five Unimags (four of them new) and 125rds of Wolf copper jacketed 123gr FMJ. I'm happy to report that the generation 2 Unimags functioned 100% when loaded with 25rds and every single cartridge fired on the first pull of the trigger.

Feedback Score
    Today I put my Windham 7.62x39 upper half on my M16A1 lower half. I ran four full 25rd RZE Unimags through it, with the vast majority on full auto. It functioned 100%. Ejection of the Wolf and Tula copper jacket 7.62x39 was very consistent in to a nice small area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast