Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have your electronic scale on same bench as press?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Do you have your electronic scale on same bench as press?

I am looking at getting either the RCBS chargemaster or the Lyman Gen 5 or 6.
    I am reading reviews on them and I see people leaving negative feedback about the charges being off, but the scale is accurate.

This makes me wonder if these negative reviews are being caused by self induced error by shaking the measure while it is dispensing by seating the bullets in the press attached to the same bench?

I have a pretty solid bench and think I will seat the bullet before the measure gets to the top end of the charge.

Those of you running automatic dispensing electronic scales, do you have it on the same bench as the press? Does the vibration of seating a bullet mess with the consistency of the charge drop?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    RCBS Chargemaster user here. Yes, if the Chargemaster is sitting on the same surface the press is mounted to, and your bench isn't rock solid, it isn't a great idea to seat bullets while the Chargemaster is throwing. Mine can be affected by as much as +/- .3gr if the press stroke coincides with the Chargemaster's final trickle. YMMV depending on how sturdy your reloading bench is. Also depends on charge weight. Loading .308 or larger cases, dispensing typically takes long enough that I can seat a bullet without disrupting the final trickle stage.
    Last edited by RimfireSpider; 03-05-17 at 16:52.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Different benches.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Even though I have a solid bench, I keep the Chargemaster on a different foundation and surface.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Chargemaster is a moody bitch. But is still smoking hot and worth it. I run mine on my granite counter top in the kitchen. A rock solid foundation is good for it, but it's a matter of the powder coming out of the feed unevenly. The "McDonald's Straw" trick is helpful. But the Chargemaster will still drive you nuts some times no matter what.

Someone here was trying to get me to reprogram the thing, but I wasn't buying in. I've become a master at dripping over charges back into the hopper.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Very interesting. I'm buying a Chargemaster next week.

Mark, are there any other tips you or anyone else would suggest? I'm already planning on two split-up benches in the reloading room.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Different benches.
    Yep.

I leave mine on 24/7 - I've found that constant on/off messes up the keypad.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The Chargemaster is a moody bitch. But is still smoking hot and worth it. I run mine on my granite counter top in the kitchen. A rock solid foundation is good for it, but it's a matter of the powder coming out of the feed unevenly. The "McDonald's Straw" trick is helpful. But the Chargemaster will still drive you nuts some times no matter what.

Someone here was trying to get me to reprogram the thing, but I wasn't buying in. I've become a master at dripping over charges back into the hopper.
    Ha! My experience with my Hornady unit mirrors yours with the Chargemaster. Mine gets especially moody when the AC or heat kicks on.

I can single tap a tenth of a grain back in the hopper like a mofo.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    The pros say,
    Use a power conditioner
    Stay away from fluorescent lights
    Let it warm up for a few hours before use
    Make sure the unit is level
    use it on a stable and sturdy work station.

and

use the damn cover for the scale, you would be surprised at how sensitive the load cell is.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thank you for the ideas. I'm actually planning on using an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to run a laptop and monitor. The laptop will have reloading data, and capture chronograph info at range sessions.

I'm going to use one of those small USB-cable cameras to watch the powder throws, and have that display on the LCD 20" monitor.

I can just plug the Chargemaster into that UPS. I'm already planning on LED's, instead of fluorescent lights.

Much appreciated!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast