Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern 38 Super

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Modern 38 Super

Is there any modern 38 super defensive ammo? Sig v crown seems ok, but I'd it equivalent to hst/gd? Is anybody stuffing 357 sig bullets into 38 super cases?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Check out Wilson Combat. I believe they have a DPX load.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    A Speer GD 124gr bullet would be perfect at standard 38 Super velocities. You could get the performance of the famous 9mm Speer GD 124+P load just by loading the same bullet to standard 38 Super ballistics. If only a major manufacturer would pick up on this.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 03-06-17 at 10:24. Reason: Clarification and bad grammer...

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I load my carry ammo for Super.

Accepted wisdom is that this is inadvisable.
    However, a righteous shoot is a righteous shoot. I'm prepared to face any consequences if that may result from this decision.

The 125 gr. Gold Dot (SIG) bullets are designed for 1400 FPS+-. Loaded at that velocity they are low end .357's in an eleven/ten round pistol.
    Another favorite is the 147 gr. GD at 1150+ FPS.

I find the recoil impulse of the 147 gr. load similar to standard pressure, .45 ACP, 230 gr. Ball. It is "easier" to shoot than the 125 gr. load- for me.
    Both loads are accurate and have laser trajectories- in comparison to the .45 ACP.
    Not much trick in making A/C shots to 100 yds. with these loads.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    A Speer GD 124gr bullet would be perfect at standard 38 Super velocities. You could get the performance of the famous 9mm Speer GD 124+P load just by loading the same bullet to standard 38 Super ballistics. If only a major manufacturer would pick up on this.
    I'm an idiot, albeit a happy one. It looks like Underwood makes the exact load I was describing.

Feedback Score
    .38 Super - Making the .357 Sig irrelevant since 1929. I never understood why this round was overlooked during the whole time the whole 9mm/10mm/.40S&W fiasco happened in the late 80's through the mid 90's.

taekwondopreacher's right, a 124 grain Gold Dot and a healthy dose of AA#7 or V-VN105 would make even the most violent felon rethink the bad decisions he'd have made over the years...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the links. I thought about loading my own, but as you already mentioned the legal aspect gives me second thoughts.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Thanks for the links. I thought about loading my own, but as you already mentioned the legal aspect gives me second thoughts.
    What's the history behind the legal aspect of hand loads and righteous shoots?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can't cite court cases but have been reading the gun literature for decades. It seems that writers from the less gun friendly North advise against using reloads. Having lived my entire life in the South and Southwest, I haven't encountered any officials who would care about bullet origin. I'm fortunate to have a good supply of factory defense ammo so that's what I use. Of course a person can be sued in civil court for a shooting the bad guy even if not charged by the district attorney. In my area a civil suit would be my concern about using hand loads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast