Thread: 300 Blackout Hunting Rig

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

300 Blackout Hunting Rig

Last November a buddy and I hunted the opening week of Indiana's gun season. Fairly recently Indiana passed legislation allowing rifle hunting during gun season. Previously it was shotgun and black powder only. The allowed calibers are restricted to .243 and .308. The guide we hunted with doesn't allow rifle hunting though. Only shotgun, black powder and ironically the only rifle caliber he allows is 300 Blackout because he doesn't view that as "High Powered". A lot of the guys that were in camp were shooting Savage 20ga slug guns. They were tack drivers, the gun that is. However I was not impressed at all with there performance. These guys were shooting deer 2,3 and 4 times sometimes before the deer dropped. Doesn't make sense but that is what we were seeing. 3 deer were lost. One guy shot his buck and it was a good shot. Broadside and broke the far shoulder. We tracked that blood trail for about 500+ yards before finally losing it. Thankfully 2 days later same guy shot the same deer and finally killed it. I was shooting a black powder rifle and my buddy was shooting his 16" 300 Blackout AR. He killed a big 10 pointer and dropped him in his tracks at 127 yards. Hmmm. that is what inspired me to do a 300 Blackout hunting build. We are going back to Indiana this November and I will be using this rifle. I already had an upper receiver, a lower receiver, a complete BCG and a BCM lower parts kit sitting at home for another build. Why not use them to start this one. So below is my parts list

Upper Receiver:

BCM Blemished Upper Receiver
    14.5" Noveske Barrel w/head spaced bolt
    Noveske Low Profile GB and Pistol Length gas tube
    Geissele 13" SMR MK4 rail
    AAC 7.62 Brakeout 2.0 Muzzlebrake - I used this brake on my LMT MWS. It does not need to be timed and so far I like the results on my MWS.
    Rainier Arms BCG MPI/HP tested.

Lower Receiver:

Noveske Gen II Chainsaw Lower
    BCM Lower Parts Kit
    Geissele SG3 Trigger
    Vltor A5H2 Buffer Tube kit
    Noveske QD End Plate
    Magpul MOE SL-S Stock

I may have missed something but I think that is it. As far as what kind of optics I'm going to use so far I'm going to top it with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X24 mounted in their cantilever mount. I've shot my buddies gun with that scope on it and for the money I like it and it will be perfect for the distances I'll be hunting at. Basically inside of 300 yards max. Although the new Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6 is also very intriguing. Below are a couple of pics

IMG_0975.jpgIMG_0978.jpg
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 03-06-17 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Last November a buddy and I hunted the opening week of Indiana's gun season. Fairly recently Indiana passed legislation allowing rifle hunting during gun season. Previously it was shotgun and black powder only.
    IMG_0975.jpgIMG_0978.jpg
    Good looking rig. I'm from and Indiana and hunt deer as well but some of your info is incorrect. It wasn't shotgun/black powder only. You were also allowed to use any handgun cartridge in a rifle(i.e. 44Mag,45Colt,357Mag) as well as an AR chambered in 458Socom, 450Bushmaster, 50Beowulf. The cartridge had to be at least .357 in caliber and have a minimum case length of 1.16in with a max case length of 1.8in. The new laws passed for this past year are for 6mm/7.62mm caliber bullets but nothing in between. Totally stupid on the legislator's part but a step in the right direction.

It also sounds your guide has no idea what he's talking about when he says he only allows the 300BLK because of it's power. The 30-30 is very comparable to the 300BLK especially when it comes to shooting out past 100yds. Once again, not knocking you and that's a great looking rifle!!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    You're right about the cartridges and also 6mm and 7.62 just being allowed. I should have clarified that in my original post. I also agree about the outfitter. However, we are hunting under his rules so no big deal. His leases are in prime country and there are a ton of big deer there. We are hunting just north of Louisville. Last year during our week we had a 178" and a 163" buck shot and 4 others in the 135" to 150" range.

Long term I'm going to SBR this lower and build 9" or so upper. I'll also get a suppressor for it.