Thread: 4-person all-season tent recommendation

Feedback Score

4-person all-season tent recommendation

It's that time of year, start of backpacking/camp season. Looking to replace an old Coleman tent. What would y'all recommend as a 4-person all season tent, that's light enough to put in the pack on a 3-4 day hike? Thanks, gents.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ever tried a hammock? I wouldn't go back to a tent unless the temp are below freezing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    REI Basecamp 4 and 6 have been great.

Very dry, full coverage fly. Still cool in the summer. Well made. Dual vestibule

Feedback Score
    Mountain Hardware has some great options. Just liberated a two man 4 season beaut fom my son who is curently out of state at school.

Feedback Score
    If you're packing it in and can separate the parts hard to beat a Big Agnes flying Diamond 4 or the 6 person flying Diamond 6.

I prefer bigger than your intended party as a 4 man tent is tight with 4 people in it. Extra space is nice if you get stuck in bad weather and have to hole up in the tent.

My backpacking tent is a 3 man, and it's comfortable w 2.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have the Go Lite Shangrila 5 which is the original version of this:

https://mytrailco.com/collections/te...amid-4-shelter

Last edited by JasonB1; 03-14-17 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    If you're referring to "all season", as in "including snow", you're going to have a tough time finding a 4-man backpacking tent. I also agree with those who said a 4-man tent isn't well suited for 4 grown men + gear, but is ideal for 3 men or you and the wife with a couple kids. For 4 grown men, a pair of 2-3 man tents is preferable, in terms of weight and space.

For non-snow camping with family, I found the North Face Talus 4 to be the best suited. 6.5 lb trail weight, $300, well designed and their tents hold up. My Rock 22 is over 10 years old and has held up with sheets of water flowing under it and severe winds.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/talus-4

The Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4 is close to 1 lb lighter, but twice the price and not as durable, it wasn't worth it to me.
    Last edited by Gatorgrizz27; 03-25-17 at 20:55.