Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experiences with drop-leg holsters

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    TL;DR- only drop if you NEED to, and only as much as needed. Run a single leg strap to keep it tight. Go Safariland. Boo SERPA.
    This.

Safariland or G-Code both offer good mounting solutions at varying ride lengths. I use a mid-ride or low-ride, mostly because of the ape-index that my frame has (my wingspan is larger than my height by a fair amount, ie I am long armed), and so a deeper holster mount better suits the ergonomics of my body. It just so happens that the same depth allows me to easily clear a plate carrier during the drawstroke, even with some junk mounted on the strong hand cummerbund (which I typically keep slick / low-pro for this very reason).

I'd say run the highest holster mount that you can manage with your body's limb length / kinesthetics without the firearm jamming up on plates / gear, all while trying to keep your strong-side (well, both sides, really) as slicked down as possible.

I don't like straps, but if you have to strap, run it like a TQ: high, and tight. Get it right up on that grundle.

Feedback Score
    I've started using an Uncle Mike's Reflex Holster and adding these two things to it:

Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement Kydex Removable Rotating Belt Loop Attachment
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UNCLE MIKE'S Tactical Reflex Holster Adapter Plate
    https://www.amazon.com/UNCLE-Tactica...NBFY1QN66J90JK

Now I can swap holsters easily for which ever pistol I'm using and when I go to sit down I can turn the holster to it's comfortable. I've ran the set up in 3 different training classes and have really been pleased. It drops the holster down just enough.
    Last edited by HMM; 03-07-17 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    Took some pics of my set up, the first pic shows the holster itself front and back. You push in on the middle button to be able to unlock the 3 prongs that hold it in place. The adapter plate allows for a little cant in either direction as well. The second pic is just the empty holster and belt, showing the drop length. I was a little concerned about it moving or not staying locked but I haven't had it move on me yet. I've hit it moving around and rolled around on it too, so far no issues. It has worked so well that I picked up 2 other holsters and put the adapter plates on them so I don't have to spend time taking the buckle off the belt to change pistols.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Blackhawk holsters are like polymer herpes. You are best off not getting near them, or anybody with them.

Feedback Score
    Ahhh, the old Blackhawk SAS. Looked cool, moderate weapon retention, totally sucked when you had to do any low crawling. It would twist around on your leg and wind up in your crotch. Should never have put elastic bands on the holster, no way could you wrench it down tight. But when we ran on dope houses, I used it along with a second 45/holster stitched on my assault vest. I figured two 45's and an MP5 I could hold out for a little while if needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
    Ahhh, the old Blackhawk SAS. Looked cool, moderate weapon retention, totally sucked when you had to do any low crawling. It would twist around on your leg and wind up in your crotch. Should never have put elastic bands on the holster, no way could you wrench it down tight. But when we ran on dope houses, I used it along with a second 45/holster stitched on my assault vest. I figured two 45's and an MP5 I could hold out for a little while if needed.
    Had the same circa 2000 holster. For me, I could low crawl when I choked the drop strap as high as possible and about 3:30. It isn't fun, but it was doable with my body type. I also have short arms so that helped there too.

It did make me look cool. Hell, I feel the nostalgia right now. However, drop legs seems mighty dated these days and something best left in the past.

Feedback Score
    I run a Gcode MULLE rig off my belt. It's a mid drop with a leg strap. Its very nice. A true drop leg rig sucks, too low, too floppy.

391498_351066218302409_533354607_n.jpg

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    I run a Gcode MULLE rig off my belt. It's a mid drop with a leg strap. Its very nice. A true drop leg rig sucks, too low, too floppy.

391498_351066218302409_533354607_n.jpg
    Samsies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12