Thread: Experiences with drop-leg holsters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Experiences with drop-leg holsters

Own a cz 75 Sp-01 with tall night sights and a tlr-2 laser. Want to get myself a good drop-leg holster with kydex or good hard plastic for the holster material. Looked around a bit and found this: https://spetzgear.com/DROP_LEG_HOLST...-DROPLEG-LIGHT
    Anyone have any experiences with this company, or do you have any good recommendations?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    no experiences with that particular holster or manufacturer but I have some experience with drop leg holsters in general.

I'm not a fan. Even when I got my first nylon drop leg holster and didn't know any better I could tell that running it up as high as possible was better. Legs are tapered down towards the knee. It meant I always felt like my holster was pulling down trying to get loose. If I ran it up high and tight then at best I had this floppy pontoon on my leg when I'd go to run, or it was always twisting around and never where I expected it to be.
    I prefer something mounted to the belt, and at most a little bit of drop to clear plate carriers/chest rigs whatever. But a true drop leg like the one in your link is not for me.
    I also tried a drop leg panel from EMDOM to try running pistol mags a little lower off the belt. This worked out, but similarly I found it always felt like it was pulling down. I run even more stuff on just my belt now (no drop legs) and it never feels like it's pulled me down.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don't mind a mid-drop, it's actually what I'm using now. Why not go with a more proven manufacturer like Safariland though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The think about safari land is than my cz would only work in their nylon holsters. And that's without the light

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First, why does it look like there are snow flakes falling in the picture for the holster? Sorry, that just made me go WTH?

As far as drop leg holsters in general. I've run them, and a mid drop holster is really about the only way I would go, and really the only reason i'd go with that is if I was needing to get it out of the way while on my feet while running Armor or a bulky chest rig. Otherwise I find belt mount to be much better. The drop legs I've run was an old Blackhawk drop leg, the "SAS" drop leg I think. Nylon but reinforced. No real issues with it, other than being thumb break and well, a drop leg. Still have that one by the way, more for nostalgia than anything. The next one was a massive mistake, a Blackhawk Serpa drop leg. Dear ****ing christ was that thing a poor designed and even worse implemented POS. With it adjusted like one would expect a drop leg the holster would wander as you walked with the butt of the pistol poking you in the ass, or going forward and jamming you in the balls. Running only made it worse. The fix me and a friend found was the take as much slack as possible out of the drop straps to try to stop it from moving, which meant that it only walked when we ran. I am so glad no chicks we liked ever saw us running with those things cuz they'd probably have thought we were trying to jerk off trying to grab the pistols that had migrated to our nutsacks. Made reholstering a bit of an adventure too at times. Lastly was a Safariland one, this set up was run the shortest amount of time, not as bad for migrating as the blackhawk but it still didn't sit still as much as I would like. Ended up changing it to run mid drop and found it to work much better. I then ended up just going to a traditional carry which I found to be for the most part the most effective for me in my current set up.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sure glad I'm not the only one who saw snow flakes. I did more digging and didn't like what I saw with spetz gear.

I already have a owb belt holster, I just want something for when I do decide to get a plate carrier. Plus the drop leg would allow me to add my tlr2 which would make for a heavy setup.

I did more digging last night on the subject and found some good looking holsters. Thing is, I know nothing about any thigh rigs.

Do you have any experience with say a blackhawk cqc or the safari land qlr, slr or elr? Prefer it to be a more secure setup for running obviously... As for the rig walking or flopping around, I'll figure out a solution myself if the need arises.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you can find a holster maker that will block the mold for Safariland T-Mount, you can use just about any Safariland accessory out there, including the drop mounts.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnfulKing View Post
    Do you have any experience with say a blackhawk cqc or the safari land qlr, slr or elr? Prefer it to be a more secure setup for running obviously... As for the rig walking or flopping around, I'll figure out a solution myself if the need arises.
    **** the Blackhawk SERPA holsters. Cut two of them off of M9s because the release mechanism was clogged with small pebbles and mud, and when I was stationed in Alaska, we had issues with ice preventing the guns from being released. You can also go into the safety issues of having to use your trigger finger to release the retention mechanism, but that's a hot topic of debate and ultimately comes down to training. The SERPA was the standard issue holster for my units and we trained around it.

Have used both the SLS and ALS from Safariland; I greatly prefer the ALS. The ALS is more natural to get into a firing grip when defeating retention vs the SLS' hood rotating forward and having to shift your hand back. The SLS hood is also easier to defeat by someone fighting for your gun, as it can just be smacked forward and then you no longer have retention on the gun.

As for clearing a plate carrier: get real with your needs. If you aren't wearing side plates or mounting pouches on the cummerbund that block your holster, you won't have anything to clear. Make a good selection about a PC and be realistic to your needs. I wear a Crye JPC and have no need for a drop anything to clear the c-bund. If I were still wearing side plates and mounting shit like an MBITR, pyro, and a GP pouch....then yeah, a slight drop would be necessary. Generally, only drop down as much as needed, and let the mission drive the gear.

To prevent flopping and holster torquing away during the draw with a Safariland on a drop belt loop adapter, just run a single leg strap between the holster and the UBL. I've been doing this for years after reading up ITS Tactical's write up and it's both comfortable and keeps the holster snug against my thigh. The plus is the pistol is always in a consistent position for when I have to draw while kneeling or somesuch gunfightery.

TL;DR- only drop if you NEED to, and only as much as needed. Run a single leg strap to keep it tight. Go Safariland. Boo SERPA.

Last edited by GTF425; 03-07-17 at 13:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I first got a drop leg setup when I got the holster for my Recover Tactical 1911 grips. They are based off of IMI/SIG Tac holsters, so I picked up the drop leg to see if I'd like it.

On a heavy gun, with light (I have a SR1911), it is actually nice being on the leg. I still prefer belt mounted holsters, but like options.

Quote Originally Posted by SnfulKing View Post
    Do you have any experience with say a blackhawk cqc or the safari land qlr, slr or elr?
    After I liked the Recover Tactical drop leg, I picked up a Blackhawk platform. I have a ton of their holsters, and it works for the platform. My biggest issue is for railed guns... can't run a light with the Serpa system. But the mount is good to go, as long as you adjust it correctly.