Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newb gas block question

Feedback Score

Newb gas block question

first time tinkering on an upper, installing a free float on my spikes m4 le style upper which the fsb pins were so tight I broke my starter pins until my air hammer got them moving easily, my deal is im installing a low pro Troy gas block in its place/screw on from what I've read you should dimple the barrel for the screws, however I noticed the screws will go where the notches are cut for the a2 fsp, so do I just loctite and run the screws into those notches using them as my dimples? Also if I wanted to revert back to the a2 at some point won't the gas block screws mess up the notches?
    Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    If it were me, I'd save a little money (return the Troy) and keep the stock FSB. Then cut it down, check for clearance, cold blue it, and it will be hidden under the rail. Pretty much bombproof.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking about doing that originally but wanted to
    Save the parts and option to easily go back to an m4 carbine look if I wanted, am I opening myself up to possible reliability issues by doing this on a barrel that originally had an a2 fsp?

Feedback Score
    If there was a chance you'll go back to stock, don't muck up the pin slots. Maybe try a clamp style gas block instead of set screws. Still though, if this is going to be a fighting gun, I'd strongly suggest that it be pinned OR do what I prefer and keep the FSB intact. Simple, strong, reliable.

Feedback Score
    Guess I'm at a cross roads then, wonder what most guys do in this case aside from grinding the a2,seems to be a very common thing to replace it with a set screw low profile

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would cut down the original FSB and reinstall with the taper pins. Trying to use the set screws where the pin holes ate is going to do nothing but cause you heart ache. If the metal is thin enough, it will collapse as the set screw tightens down.

Clamp on gas blocks are larger and may give you fitment problems with you free float tube. They also place strain on the clamping screws which can lead to the screws failing
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Ok so then in my situation since there was notches from an a2 grinding one down is the best way, next question, from what ive read no 2 fsb pin locations are the same? So I can't just buy a spare one to grind down and reinstall in the original notches and keep the old on intact?

Feedback Score
    Nope. They are unique and IMO would be cost prohibitive to retrofit a new one. Up to you though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you think you really are going to restore the barrel to the original configuration after grinding down the FSB, buy a replacement barrel
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's a pretty high likelihood that you'll never go back to using the FSB on that barrel. There are a lot of guys on M4C that have cut them down and are very happy with the results. Personally I've just replaced the FSB with a low pro block - but I've never gone back to using the FSB again. (I have several FSB sitting in my parts bin.) Bottom line, next time I'll cut and grind.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast