Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Class 1 B.E.Meyers Mawl is out

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    500 yards, it rocks! Vis green, 100 yards in a bright sunny day. We've been testing the new variant for over 2 months and were quite surprised by the performance of this Class 1 (PLUS).
    I've spent five figures with TNVC and plan to spend more so keep that in mind when reading my post - I'm not blasting, just concerned. Maybe you can help.

I've read a lot of hype about products that really didn't deliver. The ATPIAL-C is one such item. I've seen product demonstrations show a perfectly symmetrical circle on the ATPIAL-C and the imperfections were on ARFCOM when users wonder why they have blemishes and oblong shaped illuminators. But now the blemishes on the ATPIAL-C are being used (even though it isn't explicitly named) to illustrate the performance of the MAWL. Odd.

500 yards is a long way and a bold claim. I saw the pic on your site. I am all about pushing the boundaries of NV long distance shooting with an IR laser. I have access to a 600y range and regularly shoot out to 200. That is just about the absolute max anyone would be capable of reliably IDing and hitting a 2 legged predator with civilian legal units. I have, hand on the Bible, been firing at a 200y target only to have a buddy dicking around look through our FLIR and tell us to cease fire because there are deer around to the 250y mark that we could not see with our unaided PVS14s and weak ass illum (I2s and ATPIAL-Cs)

My point? The weak point in civilian legal IR gear has and always will be the illuminator. The fact that a civilian legal IR laser can reach 600y is nice, but totally irrelevant because you can't shoot that far for a whole number of reasons. However, with good IR Illumination (think D2) you can see damn near close to it and that is important for even more reasons.

Illum is what differentiates IR laser products for me and many other folks (I do not give a damn about the ergonomics of the MAWL as I currently use a tape switch for ergonomics with my laser up and out of the way anyway) and I feel like the manufacturers of civilian legal IR lasers have let me down in that regard in the past.

I'm not trying to spend $2,500 (that is three DBAL I2 single spectrums [that have fantastic <200y illuminators btw]) unless this is a no shit IR illumination game changer.

Is it?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I am going to wait to see a few reviews first due to the price point because that is quite steep compared to the competition.
    Last edited by dangrullon87; 03-08-17 at 06:51.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There quite a few reviews online of the full power unit. The most interesting points all have to do w form factor and switching. I didn't catch the significance of the sliding thumb switch to select power and beam divergence. That's pretty impressive.

However the price is quite steep. With the DBAL-A4 being vaporware at this point, the MWAL-C is definitely the most interesting piece of civic friendly IR kit going.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Video put out by TNVC on the Mawl-C

Last edited by Furbyballer; 03-09-17 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If we can fight against suppressor restrictions I fail to see why we can't do the same with IR devices..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I've spent five figures with TNVC and plan to spend more so keep that in mind when reading my post - I'm not blasting, just concerned. Maybe you can help.

I've read a lot of hype about products that really didn't deliver. The ATPIAL-C is one such item. I've seen product demonstrations show a perfectly symmetrical circle on the ATPIAL-C and the imperfections were on ARFCOM when users wonder why they have blemishes and oblong shaped illuminators. But now the blemishes on the ATPIAL-C are being used (even though it isn't explicitly named) to illustrate the performance of the MAWL. Odd.

500 yards is a long way and a bold claim. I saw the pic on your site. I am all about pushing the boundaries of NV long distance shooting with an IR laser. I have access to a 600y range and regularly shoot out to 200. That is just about the absolute max anyone would be capable of reliably IDing and hitting a 2 legged predator with civilian legal units. I have, hand on the Bible, been firing at a 200y target only to have a buddy dicking around look through our FLIR and tell us to cease fire because there are deer around to the 250y mark that we could not see with our unaided PVS14s and weak ass illum (I2s and ATPIAL-Cs)

My point? The weak point in civilian legal IR gear has and always will be the illuminator. The fact that a civilian legal IR laser can reach 600y is nice, but totally irrelevant because you can't shoot that far for a whole number of reasons. However, with good IR Illumination (think D2) you can see damn near close to it and that is important for even more reasons.

Illum is what differentiates IR laser products for me and many other folks (I do not give a damn about the ergonomics of the MAWL as I currently use a tape switch for ergonomics with my laser up and out of the way anyway) and I feel like the manufacturers of civilian legal IR lasers have let me down in that regard in the past.

I'm not trying to spend $2,500 (that is three DBAL I2 single spectrums [that have fantastic <200y illuminators btw]) unless this is a no shit IR illumination game changer.

Is it?
    The MAWL illuminator is miles better than the D2

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dramabeats View Post
    The MAWL illuminator is miles better than the D2
    Cool. Care to elaborate more? How much Time spent using it? Civilian version? Any pics? Do you own one?

I heard the same thing about the ATPIAL C so color me skeptical.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Transferring useful information from TNVC at TOS:

Originally Posted By TNVC:
    Speaking of high power integration of superior IR illumination technology.....

Full power restricted PEQ-15 (hi/hi) on the left - MAWL C1+ (Long Range Fire Button A), on the right. Range to tree line, approx 350 - 370.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psq05aqphv.jpg

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    So 7 months since the last post, any users of this care to update us w/ their day time vis usage & feedback?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I thought I would give this thread a bump. I purchased a MAWL recently and in my limited experience, between the ergonomics and performance, it's worth every penny. I haven't been able to compare it directly, side by side to a full power PEQ yet but from what I've seen in pictures and what I've seen in person, the pictures are fairly accurate, particularly the one posted above by Contax Shooter.

I spent around six hours the other night and into the early morning with mine, and even on a bright night with a near full moon and no cloud cover, the MAWL had no problems lighting up targets at 80m on the medium power/short setting; at that distance it looked like you were hitting the target with an M600df at about 50m. The beam pattern is extremely clean and diffused well. I was very skeptical as most civ power lasers are straight trash but BE Meyers really put some voodoo magic into this thing.

I don't have any NV photography equipment so this picture below is about the best I can swing until I can get back out into the woods and get some better equipment. The MAWL is on the medium/short setting, the house in the picture is around 20m and the white privacy fence is around 70m. The dot is washed out in the image because this was photographed with an iPhone but its clearly visible in person. This picture really doesn't do it justice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12