Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
500 yards, it rocks! Vis green, 100 yards in a bright sunny day. We've been testing the new variant for over 2 months and were quite surprised by the performance of this Class 1 (PLUS).
I've spent five figures with TNVC and plan to spend more so keep that in mind when reading my post - I'm not blasting, just concerned. Maybe you can help.

I've read a lot of hype about products that really didn't deliver. The ATPIAL-C is one such item. I've seen product demonstrations show a perfectly symmetrical circle on the ATPIAL-C and the imperfections were on ARFCOM when users wonder why they have blemishes and oblong shaped illuminators. But now the blemishes on the ATPIAL-C are being used (even though it isn't explicitly named) to illustrate the performance of the MAWL. Odd.

500 yards is a long way and a bold claim. I saw the pic on your site. I am all about pushing the boundaries of NV long distance shooting with an IR laser. I have access to a 600y range and regularly shoot out to 200. That is just about the absolute max anyone would be capable of reliably IDing and hitting a 2 legged predator with civilian legal units. I have, hand on the Bible, been firing at a 200y target only to have a buddy dicking around look through our FLIR and tell us to cease fire because there are deer around to the 250y mark that we could not see with our unaided PVS14s and weak ass illum (I2s and ATPIAL-Cs)

My point? The weak point in civilian legal IR gear has and always will be the illuminator. The fact that a civilian legal IR laser can reach 600y is nice, but totally irrelevant because you can't shoot that far for a whole number of reasons. However, with good IR Illumination (think D2) you can see damn near close to it and that is important for even more reasons.

Illum is what differentiates IR laser products for me and many other folks (I do not give a damn about the ergonomics of the MAWL as I currently use a tape switch for ergonomics with my laser up and out of the way anyway) and I feel like the manufacturers of civilian legal IR lasers have let me down in that regard in the past.

I'm not trying to spend $2,500 (that is three DBAL I2 single spectrums [that have fantastic <200y illuminators btw]) unless this is a no shit IR illumination game changer.

Is it?