Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor shooter recommendations for gas management?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Suppressor shooter recommendations for gas management?

I am currently waiting on my suppressor paperwork to go through, and in the meantime, had a question for those who know:

I understand that overgassing can be an issue when adding a suppressor. In terms of proper cycling and reducing wear and tear, what would you recommend? Adjustable gas blocks? Heavier buffer? None of the above?

FYI I will be running a SilencerCo Omega on a Noveske 5.56 (16" midlength gas system) and an M&P-10 308 (18" midlength gas system). I'd like to be able to shoot super and subsonic, and be able to shoot unsuppressed interchangeably, if that's even realistic.

Thanks for the help.
    Mike

Feedback Score
    You will probably be able to shoot that can on those particular hosts without a crazy amount of gas to face or heavy wear on your rifles. If it were me personally I would wait and see how they shoot before I started spending time and money on fixing problems that they might have.

If you do find that they're over gassed and you want to reduce it then an adjustable gas block is the way to go in my opinion. A heavier buffer can help too but in this context it is kind of like treating the symptoms instead of the problem. An AGB will also help with shooting a wide variety of ammunition which you seem to be planning on doing by the subsonic/supersonic bit.

I use a MicroMOA gas block that I'm happy with, and a lot of people like Syrac and SLR gas blocks as well. Whatever you choose, my advice would be to make sure that you'll be able to adjust it easily after it gets fouled up from a lot of suppressed shooting.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I prefer heavier buffers in general, specifically the VLTOR A5 system. An A5H2 with my Omega and 16" middy is very pleasant to shoot.

Feedback Score
    I'm using a Titanium SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 adjustable gas block.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Adjustable gas block. A properly gassed stoner system is amazing suppressed or unsuppressed. The only companies making one that I'm aware of are BCM, KAC and Hodge Defense. Everyone else seems way over gassed to me. My Hodge mod 2 has been absolutely stellar suppressed or unsuppressed. "Smooth as butter " one of my friends said. Also, it keeps the action locked up a bit longer and fouling is very minimal. My Hodge fouls at about 1/2 the rate of my DDM4 suppressed. I also run a vltor a5 on it. My Noveske guns have all had gas ports the size of sewer drains designed for easy navigation by the largest tilapia.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The only companies making one that I'm aware of are BCM, KAC and Hodge Defense. Everyone else seems way over gassed to me.
    Centurion, Sionics, BRT and Colt all have barrel options with less than oversized ports IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    My Hodge mod 2 has been absolutely stellar suppressed or unsuppressed.
    12.5 or 16, just curious. Have my eyes on a 12.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

LMT makes a BCG specifically tuned for suppressed shooting. I have one, but still waiting on the exact same can as yours to be released to me. Probably won't be until Aug/Sept or so. So I haven't been able to test it. However, there is a few well known individuals with YouTube channels that have the LMT BCG. So check them out as well. It offers a delayed system for the gasses to be expelled compared to the other BCG's on the market. Easier than removing a barrel etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This seems to be a popular subject lately.
    My preferred method to mitigate the overgassing issue, when adding a can, is using an adjustable gas block. Fix the cause, don't treat the symptom. Using a heavier buffer or fancy BCG is, IMO, retarded.

If you plan on running suppressed the majority, or all the time, then use a fixed GP like the BRT insert.
    Last edited by Ryno12; 03-07-17 at 18:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    I've got a SLR adjustable gas block but I've really looked hard at the Micro MOA for my other rifle. I like the 2 position set up, seems it would be hard to screw that up. Just wished they made one for the smaller barrels already...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks to everyone for the input: I appreciate it.

As recommended, I'll give it a trial without any additions/changes. I'll look into adjustable gas blocks as the next option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast