Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Expanse Kaboom

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow! Glad your friend is OK.
    Very interesting.
    It seems like the pressure would have had to have been significantly higher than normal to account for that amount of carnage.
    Powder charge? Type of powder??

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Someone who gave you advice in the ARF COM thread made some valid points. I would probably listen to him. In every case I have seen like this, ammo was almost always the factor. With that said, a .223 gage will be worthless with a 5.56 chamber (assuming Expanse crap is as advertised).

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post

The only modification of the rifle is a California complaint magazine lock.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    S. In every case I have seen like this, ammo was almost always the factor.

I was just going to post this and add, the title is misleading, it isn't the weapon that had the issue, it is the ammunition and should be addressed accordingly. People title these things like weapons are running around exploding in a vacuum.

Yo, faulty ammunition be faulty Yo! Maybe that makes it easier for some to remember....
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Jookie ammo is my vote. I've no idea what that box is, but Federal and 5.56 are generally a problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Jookie ammo is my vote. I've no idea what that box is, but Federal and 5.56 are generally a problem.
    Are you saying that Federal 556 is bad? Honestly curious. I've used them as plinking ammo off and on without issues. Their black box, the dark green box, red box even the camouflage pattern box. Always seemed fine

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Colt Expanse Kaboom

As someone who shoots lefty this scares the shit outta me. I'm waiting for the Kaboom thread of a Bullpup and waiting to see how that turns out...

My it's hard to tell what happened there, bad ammo, would be the best guess. But it's also a range rental, so god only knows what they've done to the gun or issues it's had in the past.

Feedback Score
    If it wasn't from a squib ( I didn't see where you said they looked down the barrel with a light to check for internal ringing, squibs don't always produce a pronounced easy to see/feel bulge on the outside of a barrel), or an OOB discharge, the only other culprit is the ammo, as no amount of other problems with a functioning AR would cause that.

That's the kind of kaboom that happens when you have a full charge of fast burning pistol powder in a rifle cartridge case.

I'd be on the phone ASAP with Federal. And/or grilling the guy shooting it to make sure he didn't sneak a few of his own reloads in to shoot through the rental gun. My local range requires you to shoot/buy their ammo through rental guns for liability, but it never fails, they often catch some jackass using ammo he has in his coat pocket to save a few bucks over buying their ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Could be a light charge. Powder burns too fast and pressure spikes.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only theory I had was that it must be ammo related. However, I assume Mike has procedures in place to prevent someone from using great great grandpappy's reloads in his rental guns. I also trust that he reviewed the video to ensure no mystery ammo was removed from a range bag and used in the rifle. That would leave factory ammo as the culprit. While not unheard of it would be less common.

Interesting idea about the light charge. I had never heard of that being a potential problem.

Hopefully his account will get approved shortly so that he can answer questions directly instead of me playing the telephone game via text.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 03-09-17 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I hate to say this because I have a ton of Federal ammo but if you google it you will find more than one ka-boom story.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast