Thread: Ammo for Leupold Mark 6 1-6 62 grain

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Ammo for Leupold Mark 6 1-6 62 grain

So I'm looking for a good ammo to buy in bulk for my Knights SR15 with a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 CMR-W reticle calibrated for 62 grain. I am trying to avoid M855 (steel core) as I shoot a lot of steel targets in classes, and my own steel targets. I have run some of freedom munitions non steel 62 grain with good results, but would like to find an ammo that isn't tied to a single manufacture/company. When freedom is sold out, I have no other options for that product. IOf I need to buy ammo and they have nothing in stock, I'm screwed.

I'm also looking for a good defensive 62 grain round as well. I see Tap has a V-Max round in 60 grain bullet, but they don't really have a 62 grain option. I would like a accurate defensive round to keep things in line with the BDC in the optic out to 300-400 yards.

Thanks
    Last edited by Rohardi; 03-14-17 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Might try 64 gr. Speer Gold Dot.
    They shoot to the ranging "ticks" in a couple of my scopes with 16" barrels.
    It's a bit expensive for range ammo, but is a good SD/hunting round.

Feedback Score
    62 gr fusion, similar (identical except for 2 gr?)to gold dot, another option so you can shop for deals.

Honestly, the ballistics of the 60gr vs 62 you probably won't notice at that distance. However I'd recommend against vmax for hd/sd. The v doesn't stand for "person", and it doesn't stand for "venison" either.

For general practice, any fmj 62 gr. For precision, find some 60-some otms. They'll hit close to your 62s.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Forgot to add; the Gold Dot and Fusion ammo is stupid accurate as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    M855 isn't any harder on steel than M193... In fact, up close, M193 is much more abusive due to velocity.....

But back to your 62 gr question. Hornady is making a 62 gr FMJ Hollow Point Boat tail that is very nice. Not sure if there'll be loaded ammo options. But this bullet is MOA capable. I've not tried shooting it into any water jugs to see about frag or expansion yet. But this bullet is going to be my go to for mid range slinging ammo and mid/short range steel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently shot a stack of 62-64gr duty/defensive loads against each other. There were discernible differences grouping on paper at 100, but they didn't seem to matter on poppers out to ~250. They are all consistent enough with each other that they'll stay on humanoid targets farther than that. None damage my steel after 100.

Based on past experience the 60 v-max loads I've shot would fly similarly, but they remain a varmint bullet best left to that purpose.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب