Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Best General Purpose All Around AR-15 under $800

Feedback Score
    Heck, you could always try the new, improved, Alabama-manufactured Bushmaster . According to their latest catalog, their carbines feature 4150 CMV chrome-lined barrels, M16 bolt carriers, HPT/MPI bolts, staked castle nuts, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I agree.

All my AR's are Colt with Knight's RAS standard rails with exception of one upper with the RIS II rail.

7n6
    I'm about the same, I do plan on adding LMT to the collection, I like their improved M4 that the US military didn't get for budget reasons.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just happened across this while researching Bison Barrels (they have their barrels made by shat and white oak) starting at $795.00

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/ar15/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Heck, you could always try the new, improved, Alabama-manufactured Bushmaster . According to their latest catalog, their carbines feature 4150 CMV chrome-lined barrels, M16 bolt carriers, HPT/MPI bolts, staked castle nuts, etc.
    They've actually been using 4150 Chrome Lined for years in about 90% of their product line. Although, I believe they went with 4150 Nitride in the new "Minimalist SD". Also a few of their varmint models use 416. BCGs also switched over to M16, but that was more recent (within the past 3-5 years maybe). They MPI and Eddy Current test. I'm not 100% certain on HPT. I do know they source their BCGs from Toolcraft, and they're staked well. I'm not sure when they started staking Castle Nuts, but they are doing it now. Personally I think the lack of staking is overstated, and people here have commented on their CNs being a PITA to get off. FSB are forged and use taper pins. I haven't measured the gas port, and people say they're over gassed. But in the Lucky Gunner 10k round torture test they ran 4 Bushmaster rifles and reported that each port measured .058", which would actually be on the low end.

I know they're one of the favorite whipping boys for some, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I own an XM15 M4A3, and it's been flawless. I know others who own them as well, and also have been pleased. They're generally quite accurate and cycle everything. They tried to do something innovative with the Carbon 15, and it had some issues. I think that most of the time they're judged based upon that "flop", and the remainder of their product line is not given a fair evaluation.

I'm sure people will continue to call them trash and act as though they aren't worth their weight in scrap. That's fine. They were good enough for Blackwater. Served Travis Haley well. So, while arguments could be made that they are not the absolute pinnacle of ARs, the assertion that they're garbage is much more preposterous. My rifle apparently didn't get the message that it should have failed 5,000 rounds ago. And I know I'm not alone in that regard.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    They've actually been using 4150 Chrome Lined for years in about 90% of their product line. Although, I believe they went with 4150 Nitride in the new "Minimalist SD". Also a few of their varmint models use 416. BCGs also switched over to M16, but that was more recent (within the past 3-5 years maybe). They MPI and Eddy Current test. I'm not 100% certain on HPT. I do know they source their BCGs from Toolcraft, and they're staked well. I'm not sure when they started staking Castle Nuts, but they are doing it now. Personally I think the lack of staking is overstated, and people here have commented on their CNs being a PITA to get off. FSB are forged and use taper pins. I haven't measured the gas port, and people say they're over gassed. But in the Lucky Gunner 10k round torture test they ran 4 Bushmaster rifles and reported that each port measured .058", which would actually be on the low end.

I know they're one of the favorite whipping boys for some, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I own an XM15 M4A3, and it's been flawless. I know others who own them as well, and also have been pleased. They're generally quite accurate and cycle everything. They tried to do something innovative with the Carbon 15, and it had some issues. I think that most of the time they're judged based upon that "flop", and the remainder of their product line is not given a fair evaluation.

I'm sure people will continue to call them trash and act as though they aren't worth their weight in scrap. That's fine. They were good enough for Blackwater. Served Travis Haley well. So, while arguments could be made that they are not the absolute pinnacle of ARs, the assertion that they're garbage is much more preposterous. My rifle apparently didn't get the message that it should have failed 5,000 rounds ago. And I know I'm not alone in that regard.
    I agree that they aren't AS bad as some folks believe. Here's the thing: They typically cost MORE than rifles that are built with better QC and better parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Academy Sports has a long list of AR's from top to bottom including Savage's offerings. I predict that Walmart will get back into this game. Essentially we are seeing the beginning of dumping product in an already soft market. Guys with AR collections already know that they are losing value. Said another way, prices of used top tier ARs will become disturbingly low. If I were a young man(I ain't), I would not blow money(already did)on a low end AR.

I enjoy reading the AR threads. I admit being less informed on the subject than everybody else here. That said, I'm surprised that we have a thread on low end AR's for general use. Our mindset has always been on buying the best that we can afford. In a sense buying a cheaper AR today may not be a wise investment, Today's cheap price will soon become tomorrow's super soft cheaper price. So buying a low end AR tomorrow for 1/2 of today's cheap price may be the way to go.

The above idea is an observation and not a criticism. General use for some might be a gun that would spend years on tractors and in pickup truck tool boxes. In my part of the world, AR's have replaced 30-30 lever guns for this purpose. Another might be a less valuable firearm for a kid. Another may be a project for tinkering.

Feedback Score
    That LW 6720 is next on my list, and what I would recommend.

Feedback Score
    I bought a Bushy Plain-Jane A2 HBAR back in 2007 for $780 (before tax). I've seen the same model for sale online for $750. Adjusted for inflation (using the online calculator), that $780 Bushmaster would be $916 nowadays. So in relative terms that particular gun is considerably cheaper than a decade ago. Seems odd.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I bought a Bushy Plain-Jane A2 HBAR back in 2007 for $780 (before tax). I've seen the same model for sale online for $750. Adjusted for inflation (using the online calculator), that $780 Bushmaster would be $916 nowadays. So in relative terms that particular gun is considerably cheaper than a decade ago. Seems odd.
    At face value, that would seem a little odd. But, ARs are a bit of anomaly when it comes to drawing conclusions based upon economic principles and larger market trends. There was a point in time, think sandy hook era, where that rifle was probably going for $1000-$1500. Everyone was panicked, and gun retailers could get away with some pretty high premiums.

With the 2016 election, mfgs and retailers were positioning themselves for the potential of another panic. Fortunately, we dodged that bullet. But, the industry is now saturated with back-stock in a soft market. Cutting prices to razor thin profit margins is probably not what sellers want to do, but it's really the only way to move inventory. As a consumer, I won't complain
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post

They still are. I just attended the AR-15/M-16 Armorer's Course at Academi (formerly Blackwater) earlier this month. Their armory is stocked with BMs and that's what we used in the course. I've never owned one, but I know that they put them through Hell there at the Academi compound.
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast