Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Best General Purpose All Around AR-15 under $800

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    They still are. I just attended the AR-15/M-16 Armorer's Course at Academi (formerly Blackwater) earlier this month. Their armory is stocked with BMs and that's what we used in the course. I've never owned one, but I know that they put them through Hell there at the Academi compound.
    Good to know, and I appreciate the insight. If Bushmaster were as awful as they're made out to be here, there is no way Blackwater/Academi would still be running them all these years. I'd imagine that their rifles see more abuse than most civilians would ever throw at them. Blackwater also is likely to have far more flexibility in what firearms they choose than the military. So it's not insignificant that they've stuck with Bushy rifles.

Was it a good course overall? Did you get to do any shooting or was it strictly gunsmithing?
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    Good to know, and I appreciate the insight. If Bushmaster were as awful as they're made out to be here, there is no way Blackwater/Academi would still be running them all these years. I'd imagine that their rifles see more abuse than most civilians would ever throw at them. Blackwater also is likely to have far more flexibility in what firearms they choose than the military. So it's not insignificant that they've stuck with Bushy rifles.

Was it a good course overall? Did you get to do any shooting or was it strictly gunsmithing?
    I'm generally not any particular brand's fanboy or anti-fanboy, but from my experience Bushmaster is questionable based on two experiences:

1) I was putting a local team through a select-fire rifle course because they had new safe/semi/auto Bushmasters. During the first range session (semi-auto) they started having fail to eject double feeds. These were brand new rifles, some of them had never been fired. At the time we did not have loaners or a significant parts supply so this was a big deal. They agency called Bushmaster, told them what the deal was and Bushmaster over-nighted them new bolts. Problem solved. At the time I thought it was strange they would send out new bolts so quickly, but as you will see, I didn't know what I didn't know....

2) Several years later I attend my first 'real' non-factory AR armorers course. The instructor/owner is well-known on these forums. During the course this gentleman related that a manufacturer had contracted with him to conduct both armorer and rifle instructor training to a fairly large metropolitan agency. During this training a couple of QC problems became apparent with the rifles. During the AAR of the course to the manufacturer the contractor (instructor giving this course) told the manufacturer about the problems and suggested fixes. Essentially he was told that adding the fix to the manufacturing/assembly process would take time and therefore cost money. The company told him they'd fix the problems under warranty because the average owner only fired about a 100 rounds a year and wouldn't have the problems he was wanting them to correct. I later found the company was Bushmaster.

Speaking to the Academi's, nee US Training's, nee Blackwater's usage of Bushmaster, it makes sense that if they are giving Bushmaster Armor courses they are using Bushmasters. They have a longstanding relationship with Bushmaster, going back at least twelve years that I know of. Obviously their armorers could take care of any QC issues, as could any competent armorer with any brand.

I attended a couple of armorer course with them when they were U.S. Training, a gentleman named Charles Slocum or Sloan was the instructor. Very, very knowledgeable.

The trend I've seen in manufacturers armorer courses over the years is less gunsmithing as most folks understand the term, i.e. handfitting, stoning, and more troubleshooting, parts replacing. Largely, I'm sure, due to liability and time constraints.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-26-17 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post

No shooting. I learned a lot, unlearned a little and thoroughly enjoyed the entire time. It was the only armorer's training I've ever had (aside from an MCI mail-order course for 1911's back in the early 80's), so I don't feel qualified to compare it, but I know that I can now detail strip an M-16 and reassemble it without buggering it up and I think I learned enough to successfully troubleshoot one in many cases.

I took the course mostly for shits and giggles, but since I am now near to my second retirement, it might give me something to do with my time.
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I got to thinking... If you looked hard enough, I would bet you that you could find a Springfield Armory SAINT for around your budget. I'd say for the money, it's one of the best deals out there. Midlength Gas, H buffer, BCM furniture, etc...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910