Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best General Purpose All Around AR-15 under $800

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    That's a hell of a great deal. (both) If I was looking for an $800 AR, I'd be all over that 6721. In my experience, a 1/9 twist isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
    1/9 twist is okay I guess, it will stabilize up to the 68/69 grain rounds.

Feedback Score
    $820 for the colt 6720 is a steal! I just picked one up a couple weeks ago and love it. That perfectly staked bolt, Castle nut, MP bolt and barrel markings really gives you a warm feeling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    What's wrong with the pencil barrel?
    For a gp rifle eh.. mostly personal. But possibility of stringing when heated up.as well as I prefer a different twist rate in my barrel.

But I don't know how he plan on using it. If he ends up wanting to do something like a slidefire it can definitely have problems. Otherwise I personally have one on a DD rifle. But my gotos don't.
    Last edited by redfernsoljah; 03-10-17 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redfernsoljah View Post
    For a gp rifle eh.. mostly personal. But possibility of stringing when heated up.as well as I prefer a different twist rate in my barrel.

But I don't know how he plan on using it. If he ends up wanting to do something like a slidefire it can definitely have problems. Otherwise I personally have one on a DD rifle. But my gotos don't.
    I don't know what twist rate you prefer but the 1/7 barrels on most Colt rifles will stabilize all of the best accuracy and defensive loads.

I would avoid gimmicky crap like the slide fire stock.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-10-17 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For $500, tell your brother to rethink things. Much better to spend more and get more, than to go cheap and be sorry later on. If your brother is the type of guy who is going to keep this long term, there is no reason at all to go with the junk stuff. If he buys stuff, then pawns it off a month or two later, go ahead and go cheap as it really won't matter. He doesn't need optics or anything fancy to start, he just needs a weapon, basic sights, ammo, and mags.

There isn't really anyone out there doing anything fantastic for LE/ MIL pricing that I'm aware of, at least not down in the lower pricing or basic models. Any discounts would be in the higher end, where money is being made on accessories like rails or packages. Even then, most places are at bare bones pricing.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redfernsoljah View Post

A slide fire stock would pretty much take the "g" out of the "gp". And add $100. Spend the extra hundred buck on something useful, like a better barrel (1/7 and/or socom if that's his thing), or training, or ammo. Hell, even a bcm with a longer handguard.

The stock should be the last thing to change, and it's always the first because it changes the looks the most.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    1/9 twist is okay I guess, it will stabilize up to the 68/69 grain rounds.
    I've found the M193 and M885 to be similar out of a 1:9 vs 1:7 16" CL barrel. The heavier weight bullets may have an advantage with the 1:7 - no denying that, but with my handloads, they were about the same. Berger VLD 70 and 73 grains. Also same was true with my SMK 69 and 77 grain handloads. I should note that the farthest I've ever taken these out to and measured for accuracy is 300 yards.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Not to completely kick on your suggestion, but I just bought this upper today and with BCG & CH plus shipping (and tax and a new handguard), add the lower (and tax plus transfer fee) will bring the total north of $1000. Unless I am missing something, I'd also like to get a complete BCM rifle for less than $800. Please show me the error of my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by delta-1 View Post
    You could also get a BCM upper and lower separately and assemble them, which should be less than $800.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

Feedback Score
    I appreciate everyones help and suggestions. This is making my head spin. Myself not to bad talk my Brother in Law. I don't understand how he can make the money he does well over 6 figures and be so cheap on things and setting budgets on things he doesn't know about. Anyway, I spent that last couple of hours putting together all the information that I could for him as far as a build that is what I would consider the minimum bar and fit it for him as being able to use it for many uses. Anyways I did give him some suggestions but here is what I ended up telling hi he should really look at doing.

The Colt OEM2 Option with a 13" BCM KMR-A, MOD O Stock , and grip. Magpul pro backups and the Aimpoint PRO. All in for the rifle and setup he would be in right at $1100 for the rifle and $1500 with the optics, sling, magazines.

In all it is a great overall cost for what he would be getting and gives him the most flexibility for his money. with his budget I am not even considering magnified optics as what I think would suit him is at least 1k+. It overall would give him a GP rifle he could use for anything from Self Defense, Classes, Plinking, to Hunting. I just hope that I didn't just waste my day when I could have been doing other things. It is hard to convince people who don't know nor understand that even though they see cheaper options that doesn't mean that they are worth getting. I did mention something of a comparison like a brand name to a Chinese knock off. Even a off brand pickup to a Toyota pickup.. Again hard to get across. I think that it will take me having him shoot more of my rifles and learn how to feel for them and push them to failure. Heck I even offered a lower build that I am not currently using so he can scale his costs and go with a BCM KMR upper in 16. Oh well only time will tell. At least I have it saved for future questions of the like.

Feedback Score
    Funny you should say that. Last Christmas, my BIL was asking me what I thought about his co-worker being able to build a compete AR for "like 400 bucks". This after explaining to him what I could build for him with "X" amount of dollars.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast