Thread: Bought a tlr-1 hl

Feedback Score

Bought a tlr-1 hl

To use on a Springfield trp operator. This is my first weapon light, and I have to say I'm not real impressed. The switch is heavy to get into the constant position and it sits a little to far in front of the trigger guard. Having to use the weak hand thumb to press the switch up feels weird, and it's tough to get enough purchase in the switch to use my trigger finger. Do these take a lot of getting used to, or is it maybe just not a good for for me?

I'm thinking of taking this back and buying a sf x300. What do you guys say?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Training issue.

You shouldn't be using the constant position because you are a shooter, not a lighthouse. Use the temporary position which requires switching the left side down (if you're right handed, this is much easier) It is actually a much more intuitive switch than pushing forward the Surefire X Series.

I started with the TLR-1 series in OIF and only recently (1yr) got Surefire lights because I wanted the IR Laser on the X400V (Which is a total piece of shit) and found the momentary switching of the Surefire switches totally suck. Do they suck? No, it's just a training issue.

As for the positioning, I haven't found much difference between the TLR and Surefire X300 series. I think (most) 1911s just place the rail a bit too far forward. Try getting a Glock 19 and joining the 21st Century (I kid, I kid...)

It's your call - if you own other SF X300s I would, for consistency's sake, sell the TLR and get another X300. If you don't, I would simply practice more. I have a TLR that is over a decade old that still rocks and rolls.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    OK so it's a software issue not a hardware issue. I didn't know the momentary on was what I should be using. That seems a little more intuitive, still wish it was up with the left thumb not down, changes my grip a little.

I spit coffee out on the lighthouse comment!

I've tried glocks, and they just aren't for me. I prefer the feel of heavy steel, the trigger and controls on a 1911. Yes I know, it's last century.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have them on a Glock 19 and 30SF. They do take a little getting used to. I only train with the momentary-on. I don't foresee a need for constant on. I do keep a Surefire G2X with each handgun (one upstairs, one downstairs) if I should need a real flashlight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trepang; 03-11-17 at 07:44.

Feedback Score
    I love my tlr-1's. Of note, on all my pistols and rifles which have a light I activate the light with my weak hand thumb by default. I would not recommend using your trigger finger, of either hand. In my opinion, under stress, trying to go fast, switching to weak side, ECT, you could possibly shoot instead of activate the light and vice versa. So for me thumbs do safeties and lights, trigger fingers do triggers.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If it were me I'd recommend returning it and getting an X300 instead. In my experience, the TLR-1 ND's wayyy to easily since the switch isn't that difficult to depress for momentary activation. This leads to light ND's (particularly when drawing or reholstering), even sometimes when shooting depending on your hand size/grip. Since I consider light ND's to be bad juju in low light/no light environments, the TLR-1 is out for me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I use the TLR on my bedside 1911, since I was coming from using a insight m3 the switch was something I was used to using.

That being said it is a easy switch to bump. I put the gun in my pistol case to take to the range and it got bumped on and all but killed the batteries. My solution to that is pop the light of before I go to the range and flip a battery.

I haven't experienced any ND other than the bag and I haven't yet worked with a holster yet since I'm still looking for one that I like. But how I have been practicing the use of lights, I use 2 a surfire G2 and the TLR. The G2 gets used for admin duties and light control while getting the gun into play.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)