Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Expanse - Not All Same

Feedback Score

Colt Expanse - Not All Same

I picked up an Expanse this week, and it is not like the others I have seen. $599 and this one has C marked upper with T marked rail and M4 marks above gas rod. Has chromed chamber, greyish colored S 4 marked barrel extension. Properly staked key and MP marked bolt. C marked sear and Colt low mass hammer. C marked magazine catch. F height front post. C marked barrel with P marking. Mil spec 4 position buffer tube.

I added old double shielded M4 guards, a Fiberlite "N" marked stock, and a Yankee Hill rear flip up, and a heavy Spikes buffer from my parts bin.

Feeling pretty good to go.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I forgot that I also added forward assist and bolt cover.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It's a bargain line made for Colt by someone else.

Nothing to get really excited about, IMO. Just another <$600 AR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would think it's safe to assume any Colt marked parts other than the lower on an expanse are reject parts from real colts.

Hell I bet the lowers used for the expanse are all blems

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I might check the headspace on it before the first range outing and read the expanse kaboom thread in the technical section.

Feedback Score
    Already fired a hundred rounds through it. Runs like a champ. The point of this thread is that this one has several key differences from Expanses I have seen elsewhere, which seem to be the much maligned norm.

The Kaboom thread while rich in images is weak on conclusions. Thread suggests the ammo and more likely the user is the cause.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm starting to find parts mismatching on Colt's normal. I have an 6940 which has a Colt/Rogers stock and a Matech rear BUIS. It should have neither.

Feedback Score
    I thought the SOCOM edition had a Rogers and a Matech

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Rogers was standard on most Colt carbines for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by creedal View Post

The Kaboom thread while rich in images is weak on conclusions. Thread suggests the ammo and more likely the user is the cause.

Yeah the cause of the kaboom still wasn't clear but someone else posting in the thread had headspace issues. Just don't want to hear about anyone else getting hurt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I would think it's safe to assume any Colt marked parts other than the lower on an expanse are reject parts from real colts.

Hell I bet the lowers used for the expanse are all blems
    Do you think? So, why would a company want to put reject parts in a product that, regardless of who actually made it, wears their corporate name, as in Colt Expanse.

Think it through a little more, many believe that Colt is the go to for good service grade rifles. If you think they would put reject parts on a rifle bearing their name, should you hold them in such high esteem?

I'm not a Colt fanboy, and I'm not trying to scold, but it makes no sense that Colt would do that, none at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Do you think? So, why would a company want to put reject parts in a product that, regardless of who actually made it, wears their corporate name, as in Colt Expanse.

Think it through a little more, many believe that Colt is the go to for good service grade rifles. If you think they would put reject parts on a rifle bearing their name, should you hold them in such high esteem?

I'm not a Colt fanboy, and I'm not trying to scold, but it makes no sense that Colt would do that, none at all.
    That would present quite the quandary, right? In addition to your points, the "reject" theory opens the door for all kinds of less than flattering inferences.

^^^This captures one such inference. How poor would Colt's manufacturing have to be if they were able to produce an entire line from rejected parts? Some might say, "Well, they have an abundance of rejects only because their quality standards are so high." That almost sounds reasonable and admirable. But, if the components they're producing are rejected that frequently by their own QC, they've got a manufacturing problem.

One more problematic inference? If Expanse rifles are essentially built from rejected 6xxx series components, couldn't we then assume something like the 6920 is built from rejected Military components? Thus, that mil-spec AR might not actually be so mil-spec.

Now, before anyone goes crazy, I'm not claiming any of the above is true. Like 26 Inf, I just found that the "reject" assertion could prove problematic for the Colt quality diehards.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast