Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me troubleshoot FTE (eject) please

Feedback Score

Help me troubleshoot FTE (eject) please

Newly built upper. All new parts on upper

AP upper receiver
    Ballistic Advantage Hanson 16" bbl and lo pro gas block (pre-drilled for pin)
    BCM BCG (O-ring not installed)
    BCM gas tube (mid) and pin

Lower is known to function correctly
    BCM RE, spring, and H buffer
    CMMG parts kit / trigger

Magpul Gen 2 Pmag x 2 known working

Wolf Gold

I'm getting a few failures to eject properly on my new upper build up. I slapped the upper on this lower I have that normally has a BCM factory mid-length light weight upper riding on it that functions 100% just to take to the range and function test. Needless to say, it didn't go great.

I loaded a few single rounds and fired them and it locked back every time. Loaded a few with 2 round and fired those and they locked back. Loaded 3 and got this failure.

IMG_0772[1].jpg

Another angle
    IMG_0773[1].jpg

Loaded a few more triples and they fired ok. Loaded 10 (still Wolf Gold) and had another same type of failure partway through the mag.

IMG_0778[1].jpg

At this point, I was out of Wolf. Brass from Wolf Gold was kind of stringing out in a pattern from 2:30 to roughly 3:30.

Loaded 60 rounds in 2 30 round mags of Federal XM193 and blew through all of those without fail.

Is this a gas issue? Did I perhaps bork the gas block install? Or is it an extractor issue? I'm thinking about installing the o-ring and giving it another go...

Suggestions welcomed. This is supposed to be my new "go-to" upper and I'm already doubting it... I don't like failures and tend to ditch them for gear that runs. But since this wasn't a factory upper and built by me, I'm quite positive there may be something done incorrectly that's easily resolved.
    Last edited by websniper; 03-16-17 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If it locks back with singles, there is enough gas.

If this is a brand new BCG, this particular unit hasn't been prooven good.

I'd look at the extractor/ejector.

Try swapping in the BCG from the 100% working factory upper to help isolate the issue.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Looks like extractor/ejector issues to me as well.

How does the ejector feel? Is it difficult to depress?
    Does the extractor extend inside circle formed by the bolt face cutout for the rim? If depressed, does it spring back?

Swap the bolt with a known good one and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Took it back out with a known good BCG from a factory BCM upper. Ran singles and a few triples then a few full mags. All good. When I yanked the new BCG out and compared it to the working BCG, the only thing I'd say is notable is that the extractor takes noticeably less pressure to move than the "good" BCG.

Should I fire off an email to BCM or just slap the o-ring in there and go back out and test it? FWIW, the working BCG doesn't have the 0-ring installed either.

That all being said, I put the new BCG back in and ran about 70 rounds through it without a malf. However, the empties flew significantly less distance from where I was shooting than with the known good bolt.

Feedback Score
    There was another thread similar to this a month or so back; FTEs and double feeds, and he was also running a BCM BCG. It was mentioned by one member that there were other recent reports of BCM bcgs malfunctioning. He stated that in every instance the issues went away after replacing the extractor and/or ejector springs. So, maybe a batch of their BCGs made it out with some bad springs. The whole thread (linked directly to the spring replacement portion) can be found here.

Starting with the ejector and extractor is an easy and inexpensive place to start. Trying the o-ring isn't a bad idea. However, if you subscribe to the "o-rings are a bandaid for inferior springs", that means you'll want to replace the spring anyways; if the o-ring "fix" works.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I would contact BCM and let them address the issue.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's the extractor spring. Install a Colt extractor spring
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It's the extractor spring. Install a Colt extractor spring
    I'm curious why you say that since the case has clearly been extracted. Ejection appears to be the problem.
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Locutus:

I think you'll get his frame of reference from this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...raction-issues

Also from post #4 by the OP: When I yanked the new BCG out and compared it to the working BCG, the only thing I'd say is notable is that the extractor takes noticeably less pressure to move than the "good" BCG.

The theory was that the extractor was losing control of the round before full extraction occurred.

I do agree with you, generally when you see that 'v' doublefeed with an empty case on top it is an ejection issue, but apparently this has happened before with a batch of BCM bolts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Locutus:

I think you'll get his frame of reference from this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...raction-issues

Also from post #4 by the OP: When I yanked the new BCG out and compared it to the working BCG, the only thing I'd say is notable is that the extractor takes noticeably less pressure to move than the "good" BCG.

The theory was that the extractor was losing control of the round before full extraction occurred.

I do agree with you, generally when you see that 'v' doublefeed with an empty case on top it is an ejection issue, but apparently this has happened before with a batch of BCM bolts.

Good info - Thank you!

mark5pt56, I got your message and thank you too!
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast