Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me troubleshoot FTE (eject) please

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Kind of an ironic recommendation, he's having the problem with a BCM BCG.
    BCM doesnt put enhanced extractor springs in their BCG's anymore, so upgrading to an enhanced extractor spring (whether it's BCM or Sprinco) will be a great reliability upgrade. Just because it's a BCM BCG doesn't mean it won't benefit from a BCM extra power extractor spring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    BCM doesnt put enhanced extractor springs in their BCG's anymore, so upgrading to an enhanced extractor spring (whether it's BCM or Sprinco) will be a great reliability upgrade. Just because it's a BCM BCG doesn't mean it won't benefit from a BCM extra power extractor spring.
    When did that change come about ? The BCM carrier group I bought last summer has what appears to be the exact same spring as the upgrade spring sold by itself.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by websniper View Post
    This is true. Even though it's $4.00, if it's a problem out of the box so to speak, I believe on principle the mfg should take care of it. I'll be shipping the BCG back to BCM on Monday, though on my own dime, which I'm not thrilled about, but I want it to be right...
    I can appreciate that principle and dealt with a very similar extractor spring situation with PSA a couple months back. If we're buying something new, we should have a reasonable expectation that it be without defect and should function properly. Sure it would be easy just to replace the spring and be done with it, but I kind of feel that could hurt the quality of the market in general. In this instance, and also with mine, going back to the mfg. could help to alert them of a larger problem. If everyone who recieves a defective part is just fixing it, the mfg may have no knowledge that anything is wrong. On the flip side, if everyone with that issue is making the mfg aware of the problem, it might result in them going back to the source of the component in question to correct the root cause. It could also force the lazy mfgs to be a little less sloppy. So, in a sense, individuals holding mfgs accountable actually protects our fellow consumers.

That does kind of suck that they're making you do it on your dime, but at least they plan to make things right, and seemed to respond pretty quickly after being alerted of the issue.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard600 View Post
    When did that change come about ? The BCM carrier group I bought last summer has what appears to be the exact same spring as the upgrade spring sold by itself.
    I don't know when the change came about. I thought they still came with enhanced extractor springs until I started reading posts on here about them not being included anymore. So just out of curiosity I checked my own BCM BCG's and bolts, and sure enough they all had standard springs. No big deal, it's not like they advertised they included them.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...raction-issues
    Last edited by Cane55; 03-18-17 at 14:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane55 View Post
    I don't know when the change came about...

...https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...raction-issues
    Anyone else notice that three of us linked to this same thread ^^^
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    OK guys, here's the scoop. BCG went back to BCM and per them, they QC inspected the whole unit, replaced extractor, extractor spring and, and gas rings, checked headspace (on their barrel) and test fired.

Cleaned the BCG, relubed (it was actually pretty well wet when it came back, but I cleaned and lubed again anyway because I wanted to inspect it), took it to the range in the same upper, same ammo (Wolf Gold), mix of mostly G2 and some G3 PMAGS. Loaded bunch of mags with 3 rounds and the first shot fired had a malfunction as described in the OP. F^CK!

Fired 100 (maybe 120) rounds in a mix of 2 rounds, 3 rounds and 2-3 full mags and that was the one and ONLY malf I experienced.

So, what's the deal here guys? What's the next step? FWIW I'm going to order a pack of the BCM enhanced extractor spring kits. Until then is there anything else I can look at? Should I pull the gas block and check alignment again?
    Last edited by websniper; 04-01-17 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    See if you can narrow it down by doing the following:

1_ Number your magazines and make note of the mag number when a failure occurs.

2_ Segregate your ammo such that you are not running a mix of different ammo brands / types / etc. and make note of which ammo was running when the malfunction occurred.

3_ Try a different BCG.

Let us know how it goes.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    This range trip I only shot Wolf Gold. Frankly, I've not fired much of this ammo, but anecdotally I've heard it's not bad. I've run a few hundo through my BCM uppered rifle without a hitch. The BCG from that same rifle has also run a few boxes of the Wolf Gold in this upper all without a malfunction.

I'll label the mags and see of there's an issue with any specific one, but I'm not getting malfs with the same mags in the BCM gun. I'm also gonna run some other ammo (probably Fed xm193) through and see what happens....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I believe you said you tried swapping the questionable BCM BCG from your custom built upper and when you used the known good BCM BCG out of the factory BCM upper it ran fine, right?

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anywhere you've tried running the questionable BCG in your known good BCM upper.

If your factory BCM upper runs flawlessly with one BCM BCG but fails with another that may be your answer.

Feedback Score
    That is true. My built upper did run fine with the bolt from the factory BCM upper. I have not tried the new BCG in my factory BCM upper. I will take both uppers to the range today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast