Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR/M4 Targets...What Do You Shoot At??

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Two 3/4 size IPSC targets (AR500 steel, static with swinging "A" zone) and two, 3/4 size FBI targets (AR500 steel, static with swinging "A" zone) from GT Targets. And a couple of 15" (high velocity, 500 Brinell armor plate) Gongs from Metaltargets.com.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I hope you're using a scoped rifle. I could barely see a 20 oz bottle a 200m unless it was painted bright orange.

But yeah. I'll take aluminum cans if I'm shooting in an area that has a water source out there. Those are great for rimfire reactive targets.
    Oh, of course None of my rifles are without optics. I use a sharpie to draw a big, black "O" on them for a reference target. I'm an accuracy buff, through and through, so I like shooting the smallest ones I can, although, a 20oz. @ 500m is hard to see explode, you really need a milk jug to see the huge, white, misty cloud. Plus, if they're frozen, you're rewarded with a nice, hearty "ka-POP", when the bullet strikes it.
    I also do this, but before I explain, I will say this: my friend and I who do this have done this for years, we use 2-way radio's to talk back and forth, and when he is downrange, there's a very good barrier he is behind.
    Good, moving target exercise is to tie a rope around the bottle's neck, or jug's handle, and hang it from a tree branch. Then, tie another small, thin rope to the other, and have your helper at least 50 ft. away, slowly drawing it back and forth, or letting freely swing at closer ranges. the barrier that we have for this is 3 layers of mil-type sandbags at our 100yd tree, and a 4ft. deep hole at our 200 and 325 yd. trees, so, even if I did throw one in my friend's direction, he'd be safe. The 2-way radios are probably the most important safety component, some of us need moving target practice, but don't have $2K to spend on real sniper targets .
    This could be very dangerous, if not done properly though..
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Dig it. I'm an accuracy nut too. But I run irons on all of my guns right now. Marksmanship is why I shoot.

I've go NO problem being down range or shooting with my buddies down range. The key is being with shooters you know and trust. This came up in a thread a few months back. The fact of the matter is if you ever have to shoot someone, there's likely going to be other people "down range" of your direction of fire.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know, I just thought some people may freak over reading that we shoot with each other being downrange.
    Oh, and I understand what you mean about marksmanship, I should have said "precision" buff
    I like being able to pick out small targets at long range... I'd have no trouble hitting a man at 600m with irons, I just like being able to pick body parts LOL.
    When I was in the service, before I got to go to "sniper" school, or any special SDM unit-based training, they really wore me out on those stupid A2 sights... I guess I just got burned out on em' lol.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't have a precision rig yet. I've taken a precision class with a borrowed gun. I loved it. Some day I'll get around to building one of my own.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Playing cards with Iron sights at 75m. Playing cards are cheap and very hard to see and hit at that range.

Feedback Score
    Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Space Aliens and Liberals.

Since I quit drinking I've been shooting at a lot of
    pink elephants in my bathtub.
    "We make war that we may live in peace."
    -Aristotle

Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried products from these guys?
    http://www.justshootmeproducts.com/index.asp
    I like the idea of the boxes and balls and stuff you could shoot around a big field. I need to see if I can get my unit to purchase the big machine gun model for aerial gunnery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Orange clays set against a safe berm. After the first hit you now have multiple smaller targets!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger11 View Post
    Al Qaeda, Naqshibandi, Insurgents, Terrorists, junk laying around in the desert.
    As the Father of of a Marine Corporal who mans his LAV's 25MM Bushmaster cannon( now back in the sandbox for his 2nd tour), I have to say that is a most outstanding answer! Thanks for your service and for hunting the worst varmints ever Avenger. I'll be forwarding this thread to the Son, he'll get a kick out of it. Keep up the good work and good hunting.
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast