Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR/M4 Targets...What Do You Shoot At??

Feedback Score
    Thanks 10MMGary, I meant it with a bit of tongue-in-cheek attitude in reference to Legion6's reply.

I am glad you took it as you did, as I can imagine some that read statements like that are a little "sensitive" to comments of that sort.

The truth of it is, we spend more time shooting on the aerial gunnery ranges at chem-lights at night and smoke grenades during the day. Not an easy feat from the cockpit of a fast moving helicopter. But rest assured, we get opportunities to shoot moving targets as well.

Back home, I usually shoot paper targets on the range. I don't like to shoot things that are difficult to police up after the shooting is done. If you shoot at a public range, you should show respect to that property. I treat it the same as if I am guest shooting in the backyard of a friends home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger11 View Post
    Thanks 10MMGary, I meant it with a bit of tongue-in-cheek attitude in reference to Legion6's reply.

I am glad you took it as you did, as I can imagine some that read statements like that are a little "sensitive" to comments of that sort.

The truth of it is, we spend more time shooting on the aerial gunnery ranges at chem-lights at night and smoke grenades during the day. Not an easy feat from the cockpit of a fast moving helicopter. But rest assured, we get opportunities to shoot moving targets as well.

Back home, I usually shoot paper targets on the range. I don't like to shoot things that are difficult to police up after the shooting is done. If you shoot at a public range, you should show respect to that property. I treat it the same as if I am guest shooting in the backyard of a friends home.
    Well said. I am a member of a conservation league and you have to be a memeber to shoot at our range and I am always astounded at what people leave laying around.
    No respect.

Feedback Score
    I always pack out more than I bring in. It would be nice if more people did this.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G27gear View Post
    I always pack out more than I bring in. It would be nice if more people did this.
    Me, too. The clays are nice because they just become part of the berm.

Feedback Score
    I like the large size coffee cans. They're about head size and can take a bunch of rounds before they're toast.

BTW. I fill the cans with dirt/sand first. It makes a great exit hole.

Feedback Score
    NOTHING to do with the thread..BUT nice avatar Damascus!!! Good to see the 504th represented, even if I was with the 508th!! Have a good one Airborne!!
    "WE DEAL IN LEAD FRIEND.", Steve McQueen,THe Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)/OIF 2007-08
    Colt Gov't & OM / G19 & 26/SP101
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Something that's fun and challenging is to tie a bunch of balloons in tree/bush branches. If you have a breeze, it's interesting.
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 09-29-08 at 14:08.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    NOTHING to do with the thread..BUT nice avatar Damascus!!! Good to see the 504th represented, even if I was with the 508th!! Have a good one Airborne!!
    Thanx, I had a few friends in the 508th Almost wish I were back in, I served back in 99' - 03'.
    I just got home from shooting today, and spent time shooting at my homeade "ballistic penetration box"... I've been using it for a couple years now, to test centerfire rifle rounds' penetration and tissue damage capabilities.
    What I do is take a box, preferably 30" long, 16" wide, and 16" high. It doesn't matter how wide/high it is, but the more, the easier it is to see/shoot, as this is the target face. You do need at least 24" or so worth of length, to stop the bullet. Then, I take old phone books, Sears catalogs, tightly stacked and tied newspapers, anything I can find that's thick, tough, and tight, and fill the inside of the box up with them, standing them up in a row, all the way down the length of the box's interior. Now, wet the books/paper until it's almost soaking. You can even add some other things to simulate things like bone. Today I had a 1/2" square of plywood every 4-6" down (I needed it to help stop the round, 7mm Rem Mag's shooting long, high BC bullets are HARD to stop!)... and now, put a target on it, and shoot it! Depending on the size of the box, you can usually get 2 or 3 shots into it before it's too weak to stop the round. Today, my box was 28" long, and at 100yds, could not stop a 160gr. Barnes TSX from a 7mm Mag (my LR deer rifle), but when I shot again from 225 yds, the bullet stopped about 1" from the end of the box, and told me a LOT about how that round performed. It expanded perfectly, into a petaled mushroom shape, and appeared to penetrate about 7" before expanding. After the initial 7" of hole, it started opening up, shredding the paper books - opening up the hole, or "wound cavity" up to almost 6.5", and stayed that size for almost 16"! Inside this "cavity", there was just tiny, tiny little bits of wet, shredded paper, and a few tiny bits of copper. Last time I shot this rifle into my "box", it was using a Nosler ballistic Tip, and I never even found a piece of the bullet bigger than .5" LOL. Anyways, my point is, my method showed me that this 160gr. TSX is a performer, and a wicked deep penetrator, and is probably too "strong" of a round for deer, but at 500yds and under, should still expand. Would make a wicked elk, moose, or big bear bullet.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    for close ups: bowling pins, practice golf balls, spent shotgun shells

The golf balls and the shotgun shells at 10-15yds are challenging but a hell of a good time.

Feedback Score

BioDegradable Targets

Ritz Crackers make good targets and leave a little treat behind for the local wildlife.
    Otherwise...Golf balls make fun targets which are tough enough for multiple hits and jump nicely when hit.
    Balloons with a teaspoon or so of Flour.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast