Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defect in McMillin Stock on My GAP

Feedback Score

Defect in McMillin Stock on My GAP

My GAP HRT arrived a couple is months and and I'm finally starting to beak-in the barrel (optic on back order). At the range yesterday I noticed this defect in the stock under the cheek raiser:

IMG_2529.jpg

Perhaps I'm being too critical, but this hole exposes the screw that holds tension on the raiser. I'm very tempted to send it back over this issue alone, and am not getting a good vibe from the accuracy. Granted, I'm shooting single shots and cleaning between each, but the first 10 rounds were spread over 3.5". That is shooting from a rest with a NF ATACR in BO rings. Of note, no test target came with the rifle.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    3.5" at 100 yards?

With a GAP?

Are you shooting surplus ammo from the USSR?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd send it back, like today. That's totally unacceptable for a rifle with the price tag a GAP carries.

As far as the accuracy, the rifle may just not like whatever you're feeding it. Although 3.5" is pretty awful even for a factory gun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For what that rifle cost, it should be flawless.

Besides, unless you have the shakes, 3.5" is horrible. I don't care what ammo it is.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think that defect would affect accuracy? maybe you just need to find the right ammo, however that "defect" would bother me, and I would have no problem with your decision to send it back. I'm guessing if GAP knew that was there, they wouldn't have sent it out like that?
    Last edited by mildot; 03-12-17 at 16:57.

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I disagree on the ammo. A GAP should hold 2" with any commercially available .308 ammo available today. Even milsurp South African BS (which I know you're not shooting in a GAP) should hold 2". 3.5" is insane - assuming a 100y target.

Whether that screw issue affects accuracy or not I have no idea, but if they skipped out on that area of QC what else did they **** up?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I disagree on the ammo. A GAP should hold 2" with any commercially available .308 ammo available today. Even milsurp South African BS (which I know you're not shooting in a GAP) should hold 2". 3.5" is insane - assuming a 100y target.

Whether that screw issue affects accuracy or not I have no idea, but if they skipped out on that area of QC what else did they **** up?
    My LRI built 6.5 wouldn't hold anything remotely resembling a group during barrel break in. Once I got some rounds down the tube it tightened right up to an average of .4 with handloads. No argument on the QC being awful, but the accuracy might not be related.

Feedback Score
    3.5" at 100 yards?

With a GAP?

Are you shooting surplus ammo from the USSR?
    It was Federal 168 grain GMM which should hold at least 1 MOA. Here is my target from yesterday, but keep in mind that I was cleaning the barral after each shot:

IMG_2531.jpg

The top round was the first round out the barrel and I gave it the maiden cleaning about a month prior; meaning the barrel and brake were dry. However, the POI marched down the target with each cleaning despite holding the POA at the target center and making no zero adjustments. The 10th round was the very bottom. Keep in mind I tried to remove any excess solvent from the brake and chamber before each shot.

Now, I just got back from the range today where I shot 3 groups of 3-round with cleaning between each group:
    IMG_2532.jpg

In the first group (center), the cold bore shot was 0.2 MILs low and right. The other 2 rounds are basically on top of each other. Notice that the cold bore shot is within 1/3" of my cold bore shot yesterday; that removes optics from the equation since I made no windage or elevation adjustments.

In groups 2 (lower right) and 3 (lower left) the cold bore shot was 1 MIL due south with the other 2 rounds touching. I have NEVER had cold bore shots come in 2" low - ever. I did adjust elevation 0.2 MILs down between groups 1 and 2, and 0.1 MILs left between 2 and 3. The only thing that I can think of is that some residual solvent is in my brake or chamber causing these extreme cold bore shots.

I was planning to move on to some 5-round groups as part of my break-in, but I might as well wait to see what GAP plans to do with the stock.

EDT: Sorry that the pics of my targets are sideways. M4C often posts my pics rotated 90 degrees. I don't know why.
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-12-17 at 20:00.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Let me give you an analogy of barrel break-in and your accuracy woes.

You've treated a thousand patients for cough and they've all been common colds. No worries. It goes away in a week. This time you've got a patient presenting with a cough, but he's got a knife in his chest. Maybe the two are related?

If my first groups of a $3000+ hand built custom rifle by a reputable riflesmith were 3.5" (I use 175gr FGMM for break in) I might give it some more time, but yours has a broken stock.

By Breaking in a Barrel all you're doing is smoothing out the end of the chamber/beginning of the rifling by firing it. Thus you clean to remove the copper from those rough edges. It does not do anything magical to the barrel of the gun, but I won't deny crazy things have happened.

Those 3shot groups are wild. How cold of a bore are we talking?

If it were me I would fire a sighter and a 5rd group 2x with no cleaning. Eliminate variables. If it is anything more than 1.5" with FGMM by now I would send the entire rifle back to GAP and have them look it over. Anything further is a waste of ammo on your part and they need to fix the stock anyway.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-12-17 at 19:44. Reason: Clarified

Feedback Score
    Let me give you an analogy of barrel break-in and your accuracy woes.

You've treated a thousand patients for cough and they've all been common colds. No worries. It goes away in a week. This time you've got a patient presenting with a cough, but he's got a knife in his chest. Maybe the two are related?

If my first groups of a $3000+ hand built custom rifle by a reputable riflesmith were 3.5" (I use 175gr FGMM for break in) I might give it some more time, but yours has a broken stock.

By Breaking in a Barrel all you're doing is smoothing out the end of the chamber/beginning of the rifling by firing it. Thus you clean to remove the copper from those rough edges. It does not do anything magical to the barrel of the gun, but I won't deny crazy things have happened.

Those 3shot groups are wild. How cold of a bore are we talking?

If it were me I would fire a sighter and a 5rd group 2x with no cleaning. Eliminate variables. If it is anything more than 1.5" with FGMM by now I would send the entire rifle back to GAP and have them look it over. Anything further is a waste of ammo on your part and they need to fix the stock anyway.
    Pretty cold. There was about 15 min between groups, and at least 10 wet patches and 10 strokes of a nylon brush between each group. I also let the solvent soak in the bore for 10 min. There is definitely something about cleaning the barrel that was pushing the first shot 2" low. I'll let you know what GAP says tomorrow.

Oh well, weird shit happens. That is why God gave me an AXMC...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...0-System/page2
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-12-17 at 20:16.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast