Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Defect in McMillin Stock on My GAP

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    That scares me. I have the crustiest fkn mounts on the planet, and cans and ....I just recently started pulling my cans off each week. Because I fused my TBAC can with a couple hundred rounds not long ago.

PB
    It's not anything crazy, but my 1/2-3/4 MOA clean and around 1 when it's cruddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Hmmm, I'm following the recommended break-in that GAP specifies for their guns.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-download.html

It happens to be virtually identical to the break-in that AI, Nosler, DesertTech, and Surgeon recommends.

http://www.accuracyinternational.us/...ANUAL-AXMC.pdf Page 43

https://www.nosler.com/blog/news-and...k-in-procedure

Do you know something that the rest of us don't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    OK, I think there is a miscommunication issue. This is an initial barrel break-in as described in the manuals for the PRECISION rifles that I own. It is NOT a routine cleaning schedule, and it is not something that I do for my ARs. Virtually every custom precision rifle manufacturer and ammunition producer recommends a break-in procedure for the first 25-50 rounds depending on the tendency of the barrel to accumulate copper. I have provided links to those shooting schedules in my previous post but they all generally look something like this:

1) Clean after every round for the first 10-12 or until copper fouling lessens
    2) Clean after 3-5 rounds until copper fouling lessens
    3) After a total of 30-50 rounds you will notice minimal fouling between groups and the barrel is broken in.

This break-in procedure is largely done to prolong barrel life, but MAY also help with accuracy.

As for my usual cleaning regimen once a barrel is broken in, it depends on the rifle and its tendency to accumulate copper and fouling. Some of my 308s will go 75-100 rounds before I detect a change in accuracy. My 300 WMs and 338 LMs are more like 40-50 rounds but every barrel is different.

i think tylerw02 is also trying to say, while the break in procedure may be outlined by GAP, they are not shooting the gun for groups DURING that break in procedure.

i don't even like breaking my cheekweld while shooting for groups, that's not to say anything about running liquids through the barrel, letting them sit and then nylon brushing.

Feedback Score
    Today was chrono day at the range. 5 rounds of Federal 168 grain GMM produced 2669 +/- 21 fps unsuppressed. Adding a SF SOCOM-2 suppressor yielded 2693 +/- 7 fps. Extreme spread off a bipod and rear sandbag for 5-shots is still right at 0.5" at 100 yards with the suppressor, but POI was shifted due south by 0.2 mils.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That's good data. Solid shooting. Good to see the can tighten it up. May indicate that gun would like a hotter load. Wonder how Black Hills would do? They probably have pretty good 7.62 ammo.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    If FGMM isn't doing it for you, I'd look at Prime ammo. Very consistent.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Prime 6.5 is good stuff. It damn their shipping charges are killer.

I would wait and buy a case when they do free shipping.

In .308 I have always seen the 175 FGMM do great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456