Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defect in McMillin Stock on My GAP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post

Worked for the IRS, huh?? Or Bureau of Indian Affairs?
    Nope, MIB. Now, if I could direct your attention to this pen in my left hand...

Third phone call placed to Ken today at 1330 went to his voicemail.
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-15-17 at 12:56.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Nope, MIB. Now, if I could direct your attention to this pen in my left hand...

Third phone call placed to Ken today at 1300 went to his voicemail.
    Oh shit your are good. You got game! MIB solid team

Thats just unacceptable for a boutique premium gun shop. Its too easy to buy a premium action barrel and stock ...and let your local reputable smith build a laser beam. For a fraction of the cost. I believe in buying the best so thats just uncool.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why is someone from MIB messing with a GAP rifle when you can carry the noisy cricket?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by T2C; 04-08-17 at 22:33.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Cleaning between shots is not shooting groups. Shoot ten rounds consecutively to foul the barrel. Let it cool, then shoot a group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My rifle came back from GAP today with a repaired stock. The whole process was a bit of a fiasco with different people at GAP claiming different things ranging from "within spec - talk to McMillan if unsatisfied" to "yeah, we should fix that." Ultimately, they sent me a shipping label and the turn around was about 2 weeks. The nice lady who called to let me know the repair was complete and confirm my return address told me that the stock defect was fixed but nothing was done about the grouping as it was viewed as "normal cold bore variance." Hmmm, a full MIL south is normal variance. I can tell that they did not shoot it. In fact, they've never shot it because I learned from this experience that GAP does not test fire any of their rifles before sending them out. According to George Gardner, they once test fired every rifle, but stopped long ago because it was seen as needlessly slowing production - interesting.

At this point I'm reserving judgment on this rifle. It only has 10 single rounds between cleaning and 3 groups of 3 rounds between cleanings. This weekend I will go to 5 X 5-shot groups between cleanings to round out the break-in. If it is still a full MIL off of a cold bore I will not be satisfied.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-06-17 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    Double tap.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Dude, you don't know what variance actually is because you're overcleaning the thing. Shoot 100 rounds down it then see how it shoots.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Dude, you don't know what variance actually is because you're overcleaning the thing. Shoot 100 rounds down it then see how it shoots.

Hmmm, I'm following the recommended break-in that GAP specifies for their guns.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-download.html

It happens to be virtually identical to the break-in that AI, Nosler, DesertTech, and Surgeon recommends.

http://www.accuracyinternational.us/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/AI-15591-01A-USER-MANUAL-AXMC.pdf Page 43

https://www.nosler.com/blog/news-and-articles/2016/2/24/custom-rifle-barrel-break-in-procedure

Do you know something that the rest of us don't?
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-07-17 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I do say you might be a bit obsessed with cleaning. I clean mine every 200 rounds whether they need it or not.

Maybe not 100, but please shoot 5 groups of five and see how she she runs. Some guns , in my humble experience, don't take well to cleaning and other don't show much variance.

I know you have owned some very nice equipment in the past. What has been your cleaning regiment? Do you clean after every shooting. My partner has been know to, and his cold bore Remmy was dead on. Just shocking.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast