Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Defect in McMillin Stock on My GAP

Feedback Score
    First, sorry for the rotated pictures. M4C rotates my pictures without rhyme or reason from time to time.

So, the rifle is very accurate. This is 5-rounds of FGMM from a Harris bipod and rear sandbag at 100 yards. The round at 5 o'clock is the clean, cold bore shot and the other 4 are almost one hole:

IMG_2566.jpg

Here is another 5-round group from a bipod, but this time a thin layer of fluid (what you get after a few wet patches and brush strokes) was applied to the floor of the Surefire SOCOM brake:

IMG_2567.jpg

The fluid in the brake after cleaning is what was driving the first round 3" low at 100 yards. After the first round when the brake is dry, the rifle is a laser and will hold under 1 MOA with factory ammo. I bet it gets closer to 1/2 MOA from a bench with the right hand loads and a better Indian. FWIW, it doesn't need to be solvent in the brake - I sprayed it with water and got very similar results. Food for thought if you are running a SF brake w/o a suppressor and need to make a shot in heavy rain...
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-09-17 at 19:08.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good to see that gun grouping nicely. I used to obsess over 1/2 inch groups, but anymore MOA gets me hits when and where I need it. Practically, moa is great.

Glad you solved the rubics cube on the deep six first round hit.
    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Good to see that gun grouping nicely. I used to obsess over 1/2 inch groups, but anymore MOA gets me hits when and where I need it. Practically, moa is great.

Glad you solved the rubics cube on the deep six first round hit.
    PB
    Although I suspect most of my rifles exceed both my ability and the performance of GMM factory ammo, I've resisted the temptation to start reloading. I simply don't have the time. I do all my zeroing and training from a bipod +/- sandbag and will never buy a benchrest. Too many old geezers show up on the line next to me and spend 10 min setting up their rest. Shooting from a rest would be like asking my doctor if I'm healthy enough for sexual activity.

Next week I'll chrono some factory loads both with and without a Surefire RC2 suppressor.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Another data point today:

IMG_2569.jpg

10 rounds of 168 grain FGMM at 100 yards off a Harris bipod and rear sandbag. Local conditions are 77F, 1-2 mph avg winds with 13 WSW gusts, RH 33%.

My Ballistic software says 0.650" max spread...
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-10-17 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thats a solid 10 round group. Nicely done. Now that you can be proud of your new family member, post a pic. Are you shooting with a can?
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thats a solid 10 round group. Nicely done. Now that you can be proud of your new family member, post a pic. Are you shooting with a can?
    Not yet in terms of the suppressor. I'm going out again this weekend with a chrono and suppressor. Here is a iPhone pic:

IMG_2573.jpg

BTW, do you like my new fireplace. Romantic eh?
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-11-17 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nice rig, really like it! For me I've found that accuracy with SF SOCOM cans is best if you make sure the mount is good and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Nice rig, really like it! For me I've found that accuracy with SF SOCOM cans is best if you make sure the mount is good and clean.

Thanks. This is actually my first precision rifle that lacks a forward 6 o'clock rail. Not a huge deal, but the bipod world has come a long way in a decide. The Harris is an oldie but goodie, but I miss the legs forward capability.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-11-17 at 21:54.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Not yet in terms of the suppressor. I'm going out again this weekend with a chrono and suppressor. Here is a iPhone pic:

IMG_2573.jpg

BTW, do you like my new fireplace. Romantic eh?
    You must have pulled the bear rug up for the pic. Still MIB sexy!

PB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post

That scares me. I have the crustiest fkn mounts on the planet, and cans and ....I just recently started pulling my cans off each week. Because I fused my TBAC can with a couple hundred rounds not long ago.

PB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast