Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lame Ammo question: What to stock up on for doomsday...193, 855, 262 or 318

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Lame Ammo question: What to stock up on for doomsday...193, 855, 262 or 318

Hey guys,

I have a few thousand rounds of Xm193 as my doomsday stash but it is fairly mediocre. Over a couple of weeks I ran three separate sets of three five shots groups and averaged them together out of my DD LW barreled rifle((1/7). Over time I have noticed it shoots about the same as my colt so I am using it as my std (plus it is the only rifle I have with anything other than a mil spec trigger, it has a bottom line Geissle. Well, here are the averages at 100 yards....

American Eagle Xm193 3.6 (average of 45 rounds)

Winchester 855 2.37 (average of 45 rounds)

CBC 77GR OTM 1.42 (average of 45 rounds)

I guess the obvious answer is CBC 77gr or equiv. But I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for maybe a 2000 round doomsday supply. All of my rifles are 16 inch 1/7 twist BUT I do have a lovely 11.5 inch pistol with 1/7 twist.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    262 is miles ahead of 193 and 855. 318 is that nonsense Barnes stuff isn't it?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    855 because it's plentiful.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Of course there is a cost/benefit analysis to this. The 77g stuff is more than twice as expensive, and how far are you going to shoot?

The closer you are the less sense the 77g stuff makes.

I keep 500 rounds of IMI 77g, and 800 rounds of the CBC 77g. This would be very good emergency ammo. I've been trying to collect a stockpile, but its so fun to shoot that keep shooting it up.

But I also keep many cases of Federal XM855 and Federal XM193. Along with several practice cases of Wolf Gold, PMC M855, Geco M193.

If you can afford to buy and keep enough Mk262 around for emergencies, that is probably your best bet. But if you don't anticipate too much shooting beyond 200 yards and most within 100...I don't know.

I think it would be cool if we could get M855A1 Brown tip....
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-19-17 at 20:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you got the coin, Mk262 is kind of hard to argue with. If you got the coin. I've got a couple hundred rounds stockpiled and a handful of loaded mags for bump in the night, door kicked in, type things. My main stockpile at the moment is the IMI M193, shoots accurately, everything eats it, and I find it quite a bit nicer than any of the XM crap which I am currently shooting my way through and trying to replace 2:1 with IMI ammo. PMC X tac is my back up choice.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyriver View Post
    855 because it's plentiful.
    Plentiful... but it's not much good at anything. I have a thousand or so rounds of it in stash... but it's my last resort stuff. Not very accurate, not fraggy, not notably better than other choices at penetration. M855's only strong point is its ruggedness. It's a sealed, rugged military round that's a little more trunk gun/truck gun worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    The closer you are the less sense the 77g stuff makes.
    The whole upside to 77s are that they work wonderfully with short barrels at close distance AND also significantly extend the accurate and effective range on ANY rifle compared to ball.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Any preference between CBC magtech and IMI 77grain?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The High Lord and Exalted Savior Donald Trump told me to diversify. I quit worrying about SHTF ammo and simply stocked up on a variety of ammo across the board. My Magtech and IMI 55gr. both shoot very good as does my MEN 56gr.

I also have a few thousand rounds of 77gr. (Magtech), 75gr. TAP, Speer Gold Dot (55gr. and 64gr.) and other stuff. Aside from having good ammo for accuracy testing, etc.. I quit worrying about the super duper wonderbullet and focused on multiple magic pills in the right spot.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    both shoot very good as does my MEN 56gr.
    I want to try some of that. The 7.62 is very good ammo.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    The doomsday stash grows when ever I find a good price/trade on quality stuff. Always on the lookout for Gold Dot, T3, GMX TAP. I like that the Men 56 is first quality kraut mil/leo. I think I have some Nosler 64 bonded too.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast