Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 barrels what to buy

Feedback Score

308 barrels what to buy

I'm starting a 308 build any suggestions on barrels? I don't want to break the bank just looking for suggestions. I'm new to the Ar10 type rifles. Thanx

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

308 barrels what to buy

I recently built my first 308. I bought a black hole 16" holes touching with just 20 rounds of 165gr Hornady btsp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alphasig; 03-14-17 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    I've been looking into them. I have a 18in bhw barrel on my last build 556/223 and I love it
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Feedback Score
    You may also look at arperformance.com. I have there 12.5 6.8 spc barrel, shots great.

Feedback Score
    I'll check it out thanks

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Criterion makes very good barrels.
    They are SS, hand lapped then Nitrided.
    I have them on both an AR 15 and .308 AR.
    Both shoot quite well, consistently.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Standard answer: Ballistic Advantage. I believe for the money, you cannot beat the quality. My 5.56 SPR has a BA 18" barrel, and the DMR (308) that I'm building also has a Ballistic Advantage barrel. 18" 416R Stainless Steel, Performance barrel. The majority of my AR's have BA barrels. The Hanson profile is especially a very high quality and well designed barrel.

I don't know your timeline, but I picked up my barrel, this one I'm providing the link to for $202.50 delivered to my door. I picked it up during their "Barrel of the Week" sale. There are not many barrels out there, with this level of quality for that price point.
    BA has a sub-MOA guarantee on their barrels, but that guarantee is only as good as the shooter. But I can tell you that my SPR is a sub-MOA barrel. My 10 year old son shoots sub-MOA with my SPR. Granted not every single grouping would make Carlos Hathcock proud , but he's 10 and doesn't have a lot of time behind my SPR. (I'm in the process of rewiring his brain from MineCraft to outdoors shooting.) But I think that's a huge testament to BA's quality.

Also my last plug here - BA's Customer Service. There have been some times where I've forgotten to add a gas block to my order, only to realize it the next day, or some other foul up because I was up at 0300 working on an AR and ordering parts like a knucklehead. I have had to called BA and Kyle has gone out onto the floor and made sure his guys installed the gas block or corrected my order in whatever way. Granted it's a small thing, but they really do take good care of me. They have busy times and occasionally I've had to be patient, but I've never gone a full day without contact from them.

A you in the military or LEO? If you are, BA, unlike the majority of LGS's still gives you their military discount, even when the item is on sale. They are just solid through and through.

18" .308 Heavy Profile AR 10 Rifle Length Barrel, Premium Series

http://ballisticadvantage.com/18-inc...um-barrel.html

Here's a picture of the barrel markings. I can PM you some more pics if you want to see anything up close.

I do own other barrels other good quality barrels. I have Daniel Defense CHF barrels, I have a BCM mid, I have a Del-Ton, and I have a Faxon. Those are all good barrels, Some better than others, but that's not the point of your OP or my reply. I buy BA by choice, not because it's the only barrel within my budget range.

This part of your AR-10 or LR-308 is one of the most important decisions you will make. A crappy barrel cannot be tuned out. It's just crappy. None of the barrels that have been listed are crappy, but I have several AR's that are excellent shooters, and until something happens to prove otherwise, I will continue buying BA barrels.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphasig View Post
    You may also look at arperformance.com. I have there 12.5 6.8 spc barrel, shots great.

you mean http://ar15performance.com ?

http://ar15performance.com/ar10_nextgen_308_260
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Yeah.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Standard answer: Ballistic Advantage. I believe for the money, you cannot beat the quality. My 5.56 SPR has a BA 18" barrel, and the DMR (308) that I'm building also has a Ballistic Advantage barrel. 18" 416R Stainless Steel, Performance barrel. The majority of my AR's have BA barrels. The Hanson profile is especially a very high quality and well designed barrel.

I don't know your timeline, but I picked up my barrel, this one I'm providing the link to for $202.50 delivered to my door. I picked it up during their "Barrel of the Week" sale. There are not many barrels out there, with this level of quality for that price point.
    BA has a sub-MOA guarantee on their barrels, but that guarantee is only as good as the shooter. But I can tell you that my SPR is a sub-MOA barrel. My 10 year old son shoots sub-MOA with my SPR. Granted not every single grouping would make Carlos Hathcock proud , but he's 10 and doesn't have a lot of time behind my SPR. (I'm in the process of rewiring his brain from MineCraft to outdoors shooting.) But I think that's a huge testament to BA's quality.

Also my last plug here - BA's Customer Service. There have been some times where I've forgotten to add a gas block to my order, only to realize it the next day, or some other foul up because I was up at 0300 working on an AR and ordering parts like a knucklehead. I have had to called BA and Kyle has gone out onto the floor and made sure his guys installed the gas block or corrected my order in whatever way. Granted it's a small thing, but they really do take good care of me. They have busy times and occasionally I've had to be patient, but I've never gone a full day without contact from them.

A you in the military or LEO? If you are, BA, unlike the majority of LGS's still gives you their military discount, even when the item is on sale. They are just solid through and through.

18" .308 Heavy Profile AR 10 Rifle Length Barrel, Premium Series

http://ballisticadvantage.com/18-inc...um-barrel.html

Here's a picture of the barrel markings. I can PM you some more pics if you want to see anything up close.

I do own other barrels other good quality barrels. I have Daniel Defense CHF barrels, I have a BCM mid, I have a Del-Ton, and I have a Faxon. Those are all good barrels, Some better than others, but that's not the point of your OP or my reply. I buy BA by choice, not because it's the only barrel within my budget range.

This part of your AR-10 or LR-308 is one of the most important decisions you will make. A crappy barrel cannot be tuned out. It's just crappy. None of the barrels that have been listed are crappy, but I have several AR's that are excellent shooters, and until something happens to prove otherwise, I will continue buying BA barrels.
    Thanks brother good info. I'm checking their site now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast