Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 barrels what to buy

FaxonNathan Guest
    A pleasure to be mentioned. Let us know if we can help!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My LiveFreeArmory came with a Ballistic Advantage Government Profile 18" with sub MOA guarantee. This was my first exposure to BA and I was not disappointed. I tested my chosen deer cartridge as of late....Hornady American Whitetail 150's and was .7. I have no aspirations or needs to get any more accuracy my goal is meat in the freezer and it's done that already in spades. The entire rifle was under $1500 into my hands including a Velocity 3lb straight and their in house muzzle brake. To say I feel like I stole it is an understatement I simply love the rifle it does everything I need it to and then some b/c at 7lb 14oz nekd there cannot be any whining about weight when stalking.

So, as far as what 308 barrel to buy this is the first 308AR I've owned, but more AR15's than I can count b/c that all started in the mid 80's for me. I've never built up an AR customized they have all been specd however Colt or whoever built it b/c honestly with hunting my primary focus the AR just wasn't what I reached for.....until last year. I can't say I've ever had better out of the box performance that what I have now in an AR and I wouldn't hesitate to build up a rifle with a Ballistic Advantage barrel.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-14-17 at 06:15.

Feedback Score
    I have a 20" BA stainless steel barrel and can say for the money they're a great deal. Their sub MOA guarantee is awesome for the price. Another option that looks to be good is the Faxon stainless steel barrels in either 18" or 20". At least I would consider them for another build.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have had great luck with JP barrels. I have done 3 builds with their barrels and all have been exceptional shooters. Down side is they are expensive. I like that the light weight barrel profile they have still shoots sub moa.
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 06-05-17 at 15:02.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    A pleasure to be mentioned. Let us know if we can help!
    I just ordered one of your 16 inch medium contour barrels for a .308 carbine build. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I just ordered one of your 16 inch medium contour barrels for a .308 carbine build. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.
    Pat
    Send/post photos, please!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

308 barrels what to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyhero View Post
    Thanks brother good info. I'm checking their site now.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk
    Update on my DMR with the BA 18" Premium barrel. During initial testing of my build and 100 yd zero of my scope, my best group was .41, consistent groups at .49. I've also seen excellent performance at 200. Recorded a .81 but consistently shot .89-.91 groups. Same ammo. I used Federal Sierra MatchKing 175gr in both classes. I'm really impressed with the Federal OTM ammo, it seems to be an excellent factory load. The other grain ammo I shot was 168, but mostly 147 and there was a significant difference in accuracy and my groupings. I did shoot some pretty good groups with a ZQI 7.62x51 ammo. I basically went to the gun store and bought a bunch of ammo from cheap steel case Tula up to Federal OTM. It popped every pill I fed it.
    But seeing he accuracy of the factory load has the hand load bug trying to bite me. I loaded as a kid & teen with my dad, but that was some years ago. But I can see how the accuracy bug bites. Too many biting hugs with these AR's!

Did you decide on a barrel? I think with either BA or Faxon you are in good hands without breaking the bank. Faxon is a sponsor and a significant contributor to the forum.
    If you want to drop more coin I'd look at Rainier Arms Match SS barrels. I have heard very positive reviews on their barrels and if I wanted to spend more $$, no doubt I would go Rainier, but it's hard to justify the extra money because I am really happy with the performance I'm getting.

How far out are you in having a built 308?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 06-06-17 at 08:37.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Start reloading they said. It will be fun they said.
    ..and then came the reality of the myriad of variables that you start chasing trying to account for that one damned flier. But I could never go back to factory ammo.
    Welcome to the rabbit hole if you decide to make the leap..

Feedback Score
    Hell I abandoned the 308 build. No need for it since I've got multiple ar's and some good bolt guns. I just forgot to close my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyhero View Post
    I'm starting a 308 build any suggestions on barrels? I don't want to break the bank just looking for suggestions. I'm new to the Ar10 type rifles. Thanx

try Faxon Firearms PENCIL .308 WIN. I have use it for a year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast