Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Three Ambi Magazine Releases

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Will the "Cola Warrior" patch be included as swag?!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Haha Prototype extra spring rate arrived, amazing how 40% doesn't feel like much, we're tuning it to 60% extra power.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I had it happen as well, so I simply shit canned them. I use the KAC or Norgon exclusively until......

Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Good write up.
    Have you noticed any problems with the Troy?

The problem I have with the Troy (sample of one) is the pin that holds the wedge in place is always backing out. I have to use a punch and push it back in. This happens with 100 rounds or less with 223 and as few as 20 rounds with 300 BLK.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Any long term updates? I've been kicking around getting an ambi mag release (x3).

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I was and am a Norgon fan but Forward Controls EMR-A is my new favorite.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...light=ambi-mag
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you

Couple of things I'd like to share. EMR-A's external lever arrangement allows us the freedom to design the lever to our liking, most of the R&D resources centered around the lever, it can't be too long (too easy to press the lever), or too short (too hard to press), and instead of a flat serrated surface, it's 3 dimensional (Multi-faceted surface) to maximize surface area and traction.

The external lever does depend on the receiver to stay within TDP lower specs to work properly. If the lower has a fence or finger rest around the bolt catch, EMR-A's lever will not clear it.

Also, bolt catches that stray too much from the TDP specs, specifically, the lower paddle that's too tall and wide, will interfere with the EMR-A. More info here: http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/3d-...y_ep_53-1.html Geissele's Maritime Bolt Catch is the only one we're aware of. Removing material from either the MBC or EMR-A will fix it, but close proximity of two control surfaces is best avoided. We took pains to give EMR-A's lever as much clearance as possible from the bolt catch for that reason.

As you can gather, EMR-A, and indeed, all of our products are designed using TDP specs (save for the changes we've made, of course), and compatible with TDP spec receivers and components, I don't think there's a way to make them compatible with all 3rd party developments.

EMR-A's lever is aluminum, and should not wear on the receiver nearly as rapidly as ambi mag catches with external levers made in steel.
    Last edited by Duffy; 11-20-17 at 16:10.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I was and am a Norgon fan but Forward Controls EMR-A is my new favorite.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...light=ambi-mag
    Why? I am hesitant about and ambi-mag release that pivots on the receiever. Finish wear I can take, but I imagine it is digging a hole in the receiver. Moreover, I was looking at these (and their bolt catch) and think that they're pricey, but might not do much more for function than a Geissele bolt catch or a Norgon (which I consider to be proven).

Anybody have the part # for the Sig ambi-mag release that will fit a standard AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Why? I am hesitant about and ambi-mag release that pivots on the receiever. Finish wear I can take, but I imagine it is digging a hole in the receiver. Moreover, I was looking at these (and their bolt catch) and think that they're pricey, but might not do much more for function than a Geissele bolt catch or a Norgon (which I consider to be proven).

Anybody have the part # for the Sig ambi-mag release that will fit a standard AR?
    I am a lefty, plus I started this thread. I have all of the ambi-releases you've mentioned, except for the Sig, which I've seen and used.

The only one which does not pivot/cam on the receiver is the Norgon. The Sig release actually cams on the receiver in two places, so if wearing through the receiver is what is worrying you, it should give you twice as much concern.

You asked why another poster preferred the EMR-A over the Norgon. I think the OP in this thread pretty much outlines pluses and minuses of the various ambi-releases. At the time, the FCD EMR-A hadn't been released. Here is my take on the EMR-A:

I received the two EMR-A's I ordered a couple days ago.....I like them, a lot. I installed one on my SBR replacing the Norgon clone that I had installed on the rifle. At first I was not going to use the extra spring rate mag spring. I compared the springs by compressing them in my hand, the enhanced spring felt a lot stiffer, about 60% stiffer I'd guess. I figured the mag release would be too stiff for my liking with the enhanced spring installed. Then I figured WTF, I can take it out if it don't like it.

Surprisingly, when installed there wasn't appreciably more effort required than with the normal spring.

At this point I have had the Troy, Norgon (clone), and KAC ambi releases installed on rifles with the KAC being my favorite. The KAC lever is longer than the FCD EMR-A lever. However, for me this is not an issue, I easily and naturally reach both of them. The EMR-A is far less likely to be rendered inoperable by something snagging on it than the KAC.

This moves it up on chart for me in terms of like. Subjectively, to me both the KAC and EMR-A require about the same amount of effort.

The only downside: I have also experimented with a couple different style bolt catch/releases. I was looking for one that moved the release pad further to the rear of the rifle for lefty use. At this point the ones I have used are the Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch and the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch. I far prefer the Maritime Catch. On my rifles, the EMR-A will not work with the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch without modification to the catch.

The Norgon also has one concern which some may take issue with: there is a possibility of inadvertently releasing a magazine when locking the bolt to the rear due to the Norgon lever's close proximity to the bolt catch.

I do believe that you would be quite happy with the EMR-A. Right now, I'd order them 1) EMR-A; 2) KAC; 3) Norgon; 4) Troy. Although I do have to say that I don't think using any of the four would be a mistake.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-20-17 at 23:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The ABC/R was developed specifically to address a pet peeve of mine, something I discovered the moment I had a Norgon Ambi-Catch installed, that of the Ambi-Catch making the bolt catch's lower paddle harder to access. These two control surfaces are very close together, with a gloved hand it's difficult to discern which paddle the finger is pressing. The angled and longer lower paddle of the ABC/R solved that issue.

EMR-A came years later, itself is a remedy for what I believe to be the Ambi-Catch's shortcomings: its short lever can be hard to press, especially with a full mag. The location of the short lever can be difficult to reach for some, and because of its "pivot on the catch" design, the shape of its lever is limited to the confines of the mag catch cutout on the receiver.

We were quite aware of Robert's patent's expiration date. Robert Garrett's "pivot on the catch" design does have some notable benefits, it's resting inside the receiver, not outside of it, it doesn't pivot on the receiver. Whether it does or doesn't isn't a real deal breaker for us. We design components for combat weapons. Tools get used and in so doing, get scratched, we knew the external lever would not appeal to those that don't want scratches on their ARs and that's an acceptable compromise, in view of what we were able to accomplish with the lever, it far outweighs the marring on the receiver, which we consider but a matter of course if these guns get used.

EMR-A's lever has more surface area than any ambi-mag catch we know, and we didn't simply make it bigger. Making things bigger but not smarter or better is laziness on the designer's part. 80% of the serrated portion has a shallow V shape to conform to the gentle curve of the user's finger pad, but the last 20% is straight to form a ledge for improved traction/grip. This wouldn't be possible with the "pivot on the catch" design.

There is a reason the lever isn't made of steel, and it's not cost, 7075 aluminum isn't cheap. The lever doesn't need to be steel, and we wanted to avoid accelerated wear on the receiver.
    Last edited by Duffy; 11-21-17 at 10:15.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looking at Three Ambi Magazine Releases

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    The ABC/R was developed specifically to address a pet peeve of mine, something I discovered the moment I had a Norgon Ambi-Catch installed, that of the Ambi-Catch making the bolt catch's lower paddle harder to access. These two control surfaces are very close together, with a gloved hand it's difficult to discern which paddle the finger is pressing. The angled and longer lower paddle of the ABC/R solved that issue.

EMR-A came years later, itself is a remedy for what I believe to be the Ambi-Catch's shortcomings: its short lever can be hard to press, especially with a full mag. The location of the short lever can be difficult to reach for some, and because of its "pivot on the catch" design, the shape of its lever is limited to the confines of the mag catch cutout on the receiver.

We were quite aware of Robert's patent's expiration date. Robert Garrett's "pivot on the catch" design does have some notable benefits, it's resting inside the receiver, not outside of it, it doesn't pivot on the receiver. Whether it does or doesn't isn't a real deal breaker for us. We design components for combat weapons. Tools get used and in so doing, get scratched, we knew the external lever would not appeal to those that don't want scratches on their ARs and that's an acceptable compromise, in view of what we were able to accomplish with the lever, it far outweighs the marring on the receiver, which we consider but a matter of course if these guns get used.

EMR-A's lever has more surface area than any ambi-mag catch we know, and we didn't simply make it bigger. Making things bigger but not smarter or better is laziness on the designer's part. 80% of the serrated portion has a shallow V shape to conform to the gentle curve of the user's finger pad, but the last 20% is straight to form a ledge for improved traction/grip. This wouldn't be possible with the "pivot on the catch" design.

There is a reason the lever isn't made of steel, and it's not cost, 7075 aluminum isn't cheap. The lever doesn't need to be steel, and we wanted to avoid accelerated wear on the receiver.
    Drops mic.

You get what you pay for. I have multiple products from Forward Controls and everything about them speaks quality. These are components for weapons and tools, not toys.

I’d love to see someone “dig” through 2-3mm of hard anodized 7075 aluminum. You could have bought countless lower receivers with the money you spent on ammo to do all of those magazine changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lahunter57; 11-21-17 at 10:39.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast