Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Current Browning / FN Hi-Power

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For anyone interested, Bud's is selling Feg Hi Power clones made in Hungary. Kassner is the brand name and is respected. They are no longer in business but made military and police weapons for decades. Their HP clone ain't an FN but is very close. Two of their products were called Hi Powers, and one of these has a S&W style double action mechanism. Buy one with problems, and you have a paperweight. No available parts. Beware that this one too is correctly termed Hi Power. They are advertised as Hi Powers by people who know the difference but may not tell you.

Bud's is running the desirable ones for $269 which is a great price. They're marked with Interarms as importer so they hit these shores long ago. But call and verify before ordering. Don't go by the picture alone. Why? They said that not all may look the same. So check.

He who wishes to buy Browning parts will find them cheaper at Browning than any other price. I know it does not make sense. You'll call and talk to a nice lady who'll likely be using an out of date price list. And yes she knows better.

Well, I've told all I know about Hi Powers in this thread except to say that various South American military magazines hit the market occasionally in big batches. Spend your money on available Mec-Gar mags instead.
    Last edited by williejc; 04-02-17 at 20:13. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Pretty sure Bud's has sold out of the FEG's.

Feedback Score
    Smoky Mountain Knife Works, think they go by Gun and Knife Works now or something similar, has @10 of them. Or did last weekend.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just picked up an argentine for $219 at cabelas for memorial day. Figured I'd get the ugly thing redone, but just trying to figure out where and how. Anyone have any suggestions? At this point, I figure robar would be more expensive than a junk clone, but other cheap option and in line with what the original was finished in would be cerakote?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not an Argentine, but was pretty rough when I got it from Buds or AIM (not sure).

Attachment 46095

(ETA: I did not screw up that grip screw!)

Dovetails for sights - The Action Works (Don Williams). Cant say enough good things about them.

Sights: Heinie Straight-8's

Slide Prep: Bead blasting - Harbor Freight Media Blasting Gun (https://www.harborfreight.com/1-lite...gun-92857.html), 80 grit garnet (Tractor Supply)

Slide Finish: Norrell's Moly Resin in Magpul Tan Flat, Moly applied with Harbor Freight Airbrush Kit (https://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp...kit-95630.html) - Cured by my wife, in her oven.

Grips - LOK Grips Bogeys - http://lokgrips.com/gun-grips/hi-pow...own-black-g10/

Internal Parts - Midway USA
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-17-17 at 21:30.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Don Williams is a top 5 P-35 smith in anyone's book- and a heck of a nice guy.

My latest project is a "Frankengun"; Mk lll cast frame that must have come off a "Practical" model as it's Hard Chromed and an old "T" series slide with Heinie sights.
    I'd previously installed different hammer/sear and safety in the frame. The trigger is OEM which I straightened and shortened (to fit in trigger guard).
    I was going to fit a KKM barrel to it until I shot it with the factory barrel which I'd re-crowned.

5 rds. @ 25 yds. benched, 115 gr. Speer Gold Dot Standard Pressure

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Not an Argentine, but was pretty rough when I got it from Buds or AIM (not sure).

Attachment 46095

(ETA: I did not screw up that grip screw!)

Dovetails for sights - The Action Works (Don Williams). Cant say enough good things about them.

Sights: Heinie Straight-8's

Slide Prep: Bead blasting - Harbor Freight Media Blasting Gun (https://www.harborfreight.com/1-lite...gun-92857.html), 80 grit garnet (Tractor Supply)

Slide Finish: Norrell's Moly Resin in Magpul Tan Flat, Moly applied with Harbor Freight Airbrush Kit (https://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp...kit-95630.html) - Cured by my wife, in her oven.

Grips - LOK Grips Bogeys - http://lokgrips.com/gun-grips/hi-pow...own-black-g10/

Internal Parts - Midway USA
    That gives me a lot of ideas, wow. It looks way more modern than what I was picturing when I bought mine.
    I haven't had a chance to take mine to the range yet, but for a cheap first step into the Hi Power world, what are some good ways to go with upgrades? I bought new factory-load springs to replace, but other than some of my quick research into just what the nuances of the argentine clones are, what are some typical things to do to a BHP? i.e., extractors worth replacing, etc. I plan on taking out the mag safety since I've never really been found of them, but I want to keep it semi-production and military. I'm typically a C&R kind of guy, but this one for the price I figure I can dabble in something new.
    26 Inf, thanks for the photo, and I think I will check out a media blaster, I've been debating getting my own for years. I have a lot of old mil-surps I've been wanting to redo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That's actually probably right up my alley, thanks for the links, I love doing something myself and cursing at the learning curve as I go through the process. Those links are what I was looking for.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678