Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Browning / FN Hi-Power

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yoni, you have had extensive experience with HP's--more than anybody else. Please explain how the sub gun ammo destroyed these pistols. What broke? Please estimate how many rounds typically were fired through the HP's to "kill" them. Could they then be rebuilt by armorers?

Please discuss your outfit's method of carry. Chamber empty or loaded? Also, on these pistols did they have a magazine disconnect preventing firing with mag out of gun? Some writers have said that issue mags were unreliable when loaded to the full capacity of 13 rounds. Any comment. I apologize for overloading you with questions, but you just became our resident HP expert.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    That looks great, I was thinking of having them go over mine. Got a higher resolution picture? Gonna need some details on this one: what did you have done?
    Slightly better pic (I suck at photography) before VZ grips and lanyard stud removal. I can't find my list of mods, but this is close:
    - C&S hammer
    - recoil spring replaced
    - Novak night sights
    - dehorn
    - matte hard chrome finish
    - trigger job (3.5 lbs)
    - polish barrel ramp/throat
    - reliability package
    - etc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 40Arpent; 03-24-17 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have always liked them (Almost as much as the 1911). Latest scuttlebutt being that a good 9mm load is about equal to everything else, I caved. Tried to love the G19, but my heart really belongs to the lovely BHP which I shoot better. Got a "select" Israeli Mk. III back in '00. The serial checked out to 1993 or so, and it must have belonged to a supervisor as it was almost new inside. Replaced the small safety with a C&S, removed the mag safety, and put on a set of delrin Spegels. A strip of skateboard tape on the frontstrap for that crowning touch. Meg-Gar now has 15 round mags so I have parity with the G19.

Lucked into a basically new 1990 Mk. III a couple of years ago which is a backup to the Israeli.

Steve Camp wrote some good stuff on the BHP.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Who makes HPs with extended/flared Beavertails? I never wanted a HP because I always get hammer bite.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    We used to kill our issued Hi Powers because we shot super hot sub gun ammo through them, and we shot them a lot. Today Glock is the issued pistol and the ammo has changed to modern hollowpoint.
    You mean UZI black tip? I may have a box of that somewhere. Or that really hot stuff meant for Swedish Ks and whatnot?

Feedback Score
    SOP was condition 3, but I violated it all the time. Today with the Glocks they have started carrying a round up the spout.

I am going back a lot of years, it seemed a lot of things would break over the life of our pistols. In time the locking lugs on both the slides and the barrels would be rounded beyond belief. We had both slides an frames develop cracks from the stress. Small parts breaking were fixed, major breaks and the pistols were scrapped.

Most Israeli Hi Powers were never shot enough to break them in much less break them. I had a friend that was a regular cop and he maybe fire 200 rounds a year.

Regarding the ammo it was made for the IDF and Israeli police for use in Uzi's and was very hot stuff. I have a box of Hirtenberger that actually seems in terms of recoil to be slightly less than this stuff was.

Our pistols were box stock and G-D forbid you took the mag safety out of it. Round count would vary at the start of one career after selection you would shoot so much your hands would bleed. It was not uncommon for guys depending on what their job was to shoot 500 to 1000 rounds a day, on a range day.

We used 13 round mags, I remember on one trip to the USA buying a 20 round mag and everyone was so pissed I didn't buy a ton of them to bring back.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would like to make my safety harder to disengage.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Look at installing a C&S safety.
    The detent is more positive than OEM and you can fit it "harder" to disengage stiffer.

Feedback Score
    20170325_123245.jpg

Well, it is lovely. The pistol won't return to battery with low powered target ammo, but I need to detail strip, clean, and lube it. I have a fistfull of replacement springs, some G-10 grips, and a no-bite ring hammer on the way. I'll be tearing the piece down to the frame here in the next day or so, removing the magazine disconnect, and getting ready to swap some parts in.

I fired 100 rounds through it as soon as I signed the transfer (and after a bit of oil), and it was punching ragged holes at 15 yards. Indian, or the arrow, but it doesn't matter: it shoots like nobody's business.

Feedback Score
    >Who makes HPs with extended/flared Beavertails? I never wanted a HP because I always get hammer bite.

Jim Garthwaite is 'the man' for HiPowers,
    http://www.garthwaite.com/services/b...ustom-work.php
    "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil
    ... you know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, USMC, former 1st Marine Division CO

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast