Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Reject ***(MAJOR Update page 3)*** IT GROUPS!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Project Reject ***(MAJOR Update page 3)*** IT GROUPS!!!

PROJECT REJECT

This idea came about after I got to thinking about returned barrels. Companies that offer an accuracy guarantee are stuck at the hands of the installer and trigger puller. I'm certainly not above thinking bad barrels come off the machines, but I still wonder what the real issue is with many of these barrels. Buyers remorse? Poor shooter? Low quality ammunition? Improper scope or optic mount? Low quality installation? A receiver that sucks in the barrel extension and wobbles like a drunken donkey?

Here is the barrel we will be dealing with. While it is a SS match barrel, that is all the info I have on it. I won't say who the company is who has these made, or who the maker is at this point. I have already stated we know machines put out bad barrels sometimes for a variety of reasons. The more important issue is how well the seller stands behind their product.

From a first look, we can see the barrel is obviously used and has been fired. Black marks near the gas port, and a layer of grunge are in the barrel extension. HOWEVER, as we look closer, we can start to see more interesting things. Do you think the barrel extension index pin left the manufacturer that way?

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This block will encompass what we built up, and how we built the upper....

The first thing to figure out once the barrel decision has been made, is to determine what parts are used for the rest of the build. This becomes much more of an issue when we want to eliminate build and component issues to determine overall accuracy. Below is the parts layout.

The upper receiver we decided on is one from Cross Machine and Tool. We had a few options to chose from sitting over here in our parts bins, but chose Cross Machine and Tool because Jeff Cross likes to keep the receiver to barrel extension index tight. If you have ever put a barrel extension into a receiver and it dropped in easily, or worse, had some wobble once inserted, you got a low quality part. It is true that the barrel nut provides compression, but only in one direction (realistically speaking), and only to a certain degree.

The rail is also from Cross Machine and Tool, this was chosen because it had just showed up in the mail, and is a rail we have used before, and is of known good quality. There are a lot of other parts which could have been used which are also high quality, this is just how this selection went.

The Geissele charging handle was selected because there was a bag of them sitting next to the work bench (thanks to a buddy who finally mailed them).

A Lantac USA gas block was used because they provide a nice fit and aren't loose on barrels. The first gas block chosen is shown in the below picture, was unmarked for mfg name, and was a horrific fit. It now resides in the garbage.

We used Aeroshell 33MS Grease MIL-G-21164D around the outside of the barrel extension, the inside of the receiver, and on the receiver threads. While people can argue against the use of grease, we find there are too many reasons to use it, in addition to the military and armorer requirements.

We also used the above grease inside the threads of the barrel nut. In the below picture you can see the assembly method of the rail, barrel and upper receiver (the barrel is not shown to keep the pic cleaner). The barrel is inserted into the receiver, the barrel nut is tightened down. Tightened then taken off, and tightened again 3 times. The reason for this is new threads will compress a bit and mate to each other when this is done. It is often overlooked, but a lengthy conversation with John Noveske explained it in great detail, and not doing this was a fire-able offense when John ran the shop.

Once the barrel nut is in place, the rail slides over, and the anti-rotation tabs lock in place. Each side of the lower section of the rail has locking pieces along with two screws. One locking section on each side, and tighten the screws into place locking them to the rail. If you have read this far, it is novice level easy.

Here you can see the tool provided with the Cross Machine and Tool rail which makes installation of the barrel nut simplistic. You do not need to time the barrel nut, which allows you to torque it down as much or as little as your person preferences allow.

Once the barrel nut is in place, install your gas tube and gas block.

The below picture shows the side pieces, and how they lock into the rail.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What we have built up and the whats and how of getting it ready to fire.

We decided to use a Wilson Combat 3 prong flash suppressor. We did throw a couple shims behind it, and tightened it down by hand. No extra pressure from a crush washer to possibly offset groups, then again, we have no idea how the barrel was treated before we received it, so it may be a moot point.

We then chose a lower, and in this case the decision was pretty easy. We already have a lower which we use for testing, and it happens to be a Cross Machine and Tool. Fit between the receivers is nice and snug. The glass up top is from Vortex, and their 3-18 Razor HD Gen II is what we try to use when we do ammunition and weapon testing. The mount is from Geissele because it fits incredibly well on 1913 rails, and doesn't mark up or crush receivers and items we are working with.

Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A minor update. We took Project Reject out today and plugged it in at 30 yards. At this distance, the idea was to see how groups were with the dirty barrel, and see if we could get the scope on paper. After finding out where we were hitting, we fired from the first magazine which was filled with unknown 55 grain hp ammo. Some of it was pretty dirty, and some was bright and shiny. No point in wasting time by checking headstamps and weighing each round, we fired it as it went into the magazine loaded out of one of our generic ammo cans.

The groups were as shown below. Again, this is from 30 YARDS, add in to this, I was not on my game. Nothing felt quite right behind the trigger, and while I am not making excuses, I want to make sure we are blunt and honest about how things go with this project. I don't think being "on my game" would have made much of a difference with these groups. The ammo was assorted, so there wasn't much expectation things would group super tight.

At this point, all we could think of was multiplying this group times 3, and that the barrel certainly wasn't pretending to be 1 MOA, or even anything close.

Next we loaded up a magazine of 55 grain Gorilla Ammunition. The results were much different. We have used this ammunition before and found it to group very well, but there was a large difference between this ammo and the previous mag. As mentioned above, this was not a great shooting day, and most of the times I pulled the trigger with these groups, it felt like I was shanking a round, but the group was still decent, even though it wasn't from 100 yards.

Stick

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    This thread has potential. I dig it.

ETA: do you have an accuracy baseline or claim (or lack thereof) from the previous owner?
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 03-15-17 at 00:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    This thread has potential. I dig it.

ETA: do you have an accuracy baseline or claim (or lack thereof) from the previous owner?
    Nope, I have no idea who the owner was, this came out of a bin of returned barrels of different makes, calibers, lengths and profiles.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Very interesting idea for a thread. Looking forward to seeing what this brings. I'm assuming that accuracy guarantee was MOA?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I really like the idea of this thread.

This makes me wonder what exactly the manufacturers do with said returned barrels?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's so hairy.

Very curious how this turns out!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I'm assuming that accuracy guarantee was MOA?
    I'm not sure, and while I can probably find out easily enough, I'm more interested in how it shoots overall. I figure we can shoot a few times of ammo through it and see how she does in real world shooting. This won't get handloads, locked into a barrel testing rig, or anything magical. Just legit shooting to see if the barrel was a dud, or if there was something else to it.
    Stick

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast