Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Reject ***(MAJOR Update page 3)*** IT GROUPS!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I really like the idea of this thread.

This makes me wonder what exactly the manufacturers do with said returned barrels?
    Maybe some are returned to the barrel maker, who in turn probably throws them into recycling. For a dealer who has the barrels custom made, they might just east the cost.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like the concept. I have purchased rifles over the years that other people said would not shoot and made them shoot well.

Have you determined barrel twist rate?
    Last edited by T2C; 03-16-17 at 13:32.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I like the concept. I have purchase rifles over the years that other people said would not shoot and made them shoot well.

Have you determined barrel twist rate?
    Should be 1-7.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am going to "Assume" you cleaned the barrel up before using it. It looks like a certain MFG barrel but won't name drop. What type of ammo do you plan on using? Standard 55 grain ball or match?
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Should be 1-7.
    If you verified it's 1:7 twist, it should spin 80g projectiles well.

I bought what I thought was a 1:7 barrel that shot 80g Sierras great at 600 yards. It turned out to be a 1:7.75 twist when I measured it. That's why I asked.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochild View Post
    I am going to "Assume" you cleaned the barrel up before using it. It looks like a certain MFG barrel but won't name drop. What type of ammo do you plan on using? Standard 55 grain ball or match?
    Actually, no. We are going to shoot this pig in as close to the condition it was turned into the company as possible. Once we do that, we can go from there. Eventually we will get to clean barrel and nice ammo. To start, cheap and dirty.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A minor update. We took Project Reject out today and plugged it in at 30 yards. At this distance, the idea was to see how groups were with the dirty barrel, and see if we could get the scope on paper. After finding out where we were hitting, we fired from the first magazine which was filled with unknown 55 grain hp ammo. Some of it was pretty dirty, and some was bright and shiny. No point in wasting time by checking headstamps and weighing each round, we fired it as it went into the magazine loaded out of one of our generic ammo cans.

The groups were as shown below. Again, this is from 30 YARDS, add in to this, I was not on my game. Nothing felt quite right behind the trigger, and while I am not making excuses, I want to make sure we are blunt and honest about how things go with this project. I don't think being "on my game" would have made much of a difference with these groups. The ammo was assorted, so there wasn't much expectation things would group super tight.

At this point, all we could think of was multiplying this group times 3, and that the barrel certainly wasn't pretending to be 1 MOA, or even anything close.

Next we loaded up a magazine of 55 grain Gorilla Ammunition. The results were much different. We have used this ammunition before and found it to group very well. There was a large difference between this ammo and the previous mag. As mentioned above, this was not a great shooting day, and most of the times I pulled the trigger with these groups, it felt like I was shanking a round, but the group was still decent, even though it wasn't from 100 yards. All of a sudden, the barrel began to look not quite so bad.

Stick

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That second group looks quite good, it might be 1 moa at 100 yards.

That first group though is scary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I love this thread. I've several times purchased used rifles because "they just don't shoot". The last one was a 6920 that ended up shooting sub-MOA. A few years ago I purchased a Rem 700 that ended being sub 1/2 MOA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Most interesting, Stick. I am very into recycling stuff that maybe ought not to be, just to see what the limits really are..... on my own equipment of course. Most notable are two upper receivers salvaged from KaBooms and a nice Lothar Walther barrel, same. Whatever caused the blowup, it was not a squib or at any rate there was no evident damage to the barrel. However the bolt was damaged and I assumed the barrel extension was compromised so I replaced it, and yup, the gas port came up in the wrong place so I just "drilt me a new 1". This gun was in my article "It's Alive" a couple SWATs ago. There was no issue staying around 1 1/4" using several brands of ammo using 77SMK's that are duty grade and not match ammo. With match 77's and a Millett DMS 2 on 6X it'll break 1MOA but not by a ton..... anyway I felt it showed appreciation for not being cut up into washers.

Didja by chance get to bore scope that reject before starting?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast