Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Reject ***(MAJOR Update page 3)*** IT GROUPS!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Most interesting, Stick. I am very into recycling stuff that maybe ought not to be, just to see what the limits really are..... on my own equipment of course. Most notable are two upper receivers salvaged from KaBooms and a nice Lothar Walther barrel, same. Whatever caused the blowup, it was not a squib or at any rate there was no evident damage to the barrel. However the bolt was damaged and I assumed the barrel extension was compromised so I replaced it, and yup, the gas port came up in the wrong place so I just "drilt me a new 1". This gun was in my article "It's Alive" a couple SWATs ago. There was no issue staying around 1 1/4" using several brands of ammo using 77SMK's that are duty grade and not match ammo. With match 77's and a Millett DMS 2 on 6X it'll break 1MOA but not by a ton..... anyway I felt it showed appreciation for not being cut up into washers.

Didja by chance get to bore scope that reject before starting?

Your thoughts and input are very welcome in any of my threads, especially in ones like this. This was not bore scoped, cleaned, or anything else. It was used and ugly when turned in, and it was used and ugly when we shot the above.

I do think bore scope pictures would have been a nice addition, or at least good info for us to have over here, but the end result is all that really matters for this article.

We have a few more barrels sitting over here which were turned back in for whatever reason, if people like this article we may do up a few more barrels combined with articles showing builds and how we do things.

Too bad you aren't closer to our location, I think we would have a great time playing around with some of this stuff. Sorry I missed your SWAT article.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "Too bad you aren't closer to our location, I think we would have a great time playing around with some of this stuff."

For sure.... that'd be great to get together on a few things.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry for slacking, we should be able to get to some testing at distance pretty soon. This project isn't abandon!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Minor update, the below is 5 rounds from 100 yards using 69 grain ammunition. I had a difficult time initially believing two stacked on top of each other, but it isn't the first time I've seen it. Shooting with 55 grain (also Gorilla Ammunition match), the group was slightly larger. I did fire other groups which met with similar results, but I had issues with wind and back splash taking down the target. It was one of those days where I really should have thrown up actual target stands, but was lazy and paid the price.

However, lazy or not, we are still looking at a filthy barrel pulling .99" groups, and while I seriously doubt I am shooting to the mechanical ability of the barrel, it doesn't change the barrel is meeting the magic 1" at 100 goal. While I am horribly tempted to super clean the barrel, that really isn't the purpose of this post. The idea was to see how the barrel shot in the condition it was returned. My thought is that the barrel as turned in, is the worst case scenario for how it shoots.

We are going to shoot again for groups and see how things go, but at this point I feel pretty confident saying the barrel is of good quality, and a decent shooter. The next update will be with actual target stands and (hopefully) no excuses. :-)

Stick

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    At first I thought the lowest round looked a hair bigger but after zooming in, not so sure. I think once you have established your goal, clean it then and see what happens just for fun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    At first I thought the lowest round looked a hair bigger but after zooming in, not so sure. I think once you have established your goal, clean it then and see what happens just for fun.
    Agreed, I'm honestly not sure which hole it was. I debated just counting the three farthest, but three rounds is a cop out.

If at all possible, I'll be able to shoot for groups today, then clean and shoot one more time. After that, I'm going to rebarrel it into a rail and upper that I won't show in pictures anymore, and give it to a disabled vet who has been looking for an AR15.

Barring something freakish happening, I consider this to be a pretty nice barrel.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With 20 rounds fired in four, 5 round groups, and an average MOA of .724, I think the results speak for themselves. Even with the fliers which were both called at time of pulling the trigger, the barrel is good to go.

Stick

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ha! I think I know which barrel this is and have the same one. Just waiting for my receiver set from cerakote. Can't wait to get it together.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Alliance Shoothouse, YSINTG, Carbine 1, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyzik View Post
    Ha! I think I know which barrel this is and have the same one. Just waiting for my receiver set from cerakote. Can't wait to get it together.
    Not sure if you read what I posted on the first page.... "this came out of a bin of returned barrels of different makes, calibers, lengths and profiles.". Even if you had the same model barrel, I'm not sure how we would both have barrels were were installed and handled the same way.

I don't think this is the same barrel you are thinking of. However, I do have a CF wrapped barrel that I'm getting ready to play with.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Not sure if you read what I posted on the first page.... "this came out of a bin of returned barrels of different makes, calibers, lengths and profiles.". Even if you had the same model barrel, I'm not sure how we would both have barrels were were installed and handled the same way.

I don't think this is the same barrel you are thinking of. However, I do have a CF wrapped barrel that I'm getting ready to play with.
    I did read that. And perhaps not. Either way this was an interesting "test" and I'm glad you took the time to do it and post.

Those CF wrapped barrels are pretty cool. Pricey and a whole lot more barrel that my shooting skills would give justice to, but cool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Alliance Shoothouse, YSINTG, Carbine 1, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast