Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas on Marking a LH SAfety 870

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ideas on Marking a LH SAfety 870

I'm putting together a slicked up 870 for my daughter based off a pawnshop Express. Installed a LH trigger plate.

I'd like to mark the shotgun somehow so that someone who picks it up would know it is a LH safety. I do not want to engrave into the receiver.

So far what I've come up with is something like a metal inventory control tag or a small engraved placard placed on the right side of the receiver.

Any other ideas?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hear you here. I used to use an Ithaca model 37 with a LH safety, but you're right about the marking. For 'things that go bump in the night' use, I do feel the right-up-on-top placement thumb safety on the Mossberg 500 series is tough to beat!

Just picked up a 20-ga Ithaca for field use, added a LH safety, and was considering adding something similar. I may just make a small label saying "LH Safety!" and put in on the top, where the wood meets the receiver. Anyone going to cheek it should stop and at least consider ..."What does that say?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That location is a good idea - never thought of that.

I already have the red o-ring.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    What is your concern? If it's your daughters and she is left handed then all is good. The weapon should be stored in a way to prevent unauthorized people from handling it. Mosseberg does have the best safety and slide release locations. I own one Mosseberg and several 870's. You need to know your gun.

One if the oversized safeties would help. I've used the Wilson before and the Vang Comp is even larger.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Jumbo-He...uctinfo/SGJHS/

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...-prod1599.aspx
    Last edited by usmcvet; 03-22-17 at 22:56.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    What is your concern? If it's your daughters and she is left handed then all is good. The weapon should be stored in a way to prevent unauthorized people from handling it. Mosseberg does have the best safety and slide release locations. I own one Mosseberg and several 870's. You need to know your gun.

One if the oversized safeties would help. I've used the Wilson before and the Vang Comp is even larger.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Jumbo-He...uctinfo/SGJHS/

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...-prod1599.aspx
    I don't think Vang Comp or Wilson are available LH.

The reason for my concern is 85% of the population is right handed. She isn't the only person on the range. The shotgun is sometimes left in a rack during breaks. She is 18 and going away to college, someday she might find a guy smart enough that I'll let him marry her and he may be right handed. It is certain that he will have a shotgun, I don't allow hipsters. And, because I want to mark it.

ETA: BTW it is done.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-23-17 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's a good idea. I recently saw a used Model 37 with a left hand safety and quickly realized how it was an accident waiting to happen if a RH shooter bought it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I am left hand, what did on my 870 is add Vang dome safety and a Speedfeed IV-S stock. I use my thumb to swipe off the safety similar to a 1911.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is a good solution. I want to stay with the conventional shotgun stock for various types of shooting.

Feedback Score
    I'm confused as to what a LH safety entails. The cross bolt safeties I've worked with have all been switched to "fire" with the trigger finger, and back to "safe" with the thumb. For a lefty, it would just be the opposite, which should actually be faster if your hand is large enough to have a finger inside the trigger guard and hit the safety with your thumb at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast